[1.12.x] End your parts list nightmare - Introducing The Janitor's Closet

linuxgurugamer

6 hours ago, Pepethecat said:

Help I threw the window off screen and I can't get it back even after restarting

The file GameData/JanitorsCloset/PluginData/WinPos.cfg stores the x, y position of the mod filter window, You can edit the numbers in a text editor while KSP is not running and they should apply after KSP is restarted.

On 3/21/2022 at 5:21 PM, Aelfhe1m said:

The file GameData/JanitorsCloset/PluginData/WinPos.cfg stores the x, y position of the mod filter window, You can edit the numbers in a text editor while KSP is not running and they should apply after KSP is restarted.

THANK YOU

On 3/7/2022 at 9:11 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

edit:  OP did mention the Spacetux library as a new dependency, if you didn't have that installed, you missed it. 

I'll get Spacedock updated

Yes, it's in the OP of the forum thread, but it was not in any of the three locations I mentioned, all of which are likely to get checked before the OP.  Given that R-T-B had multiple people showing up with the exact same problem, I don't think it's useful or accurate to claim that it's some sort of isolated problem that just comes down to people not looking hard enough. None of the download locations had a complete list of dependencies until you updated the Spacedock and the Github still doesn't.

8 hours ago, personaleyrie said:

Yes, it's in the OP of the forum thread, but it was not in any of the three locations I mentioned, all of which are likely to get checked before the OP.  Given that R-T-B had multiple people showing up with the exact same problem, I don't think it's useful or accurate to claim that it's some sort of isolated problem that just comes down to people not looking hard enough. None of the download locations had a complete list of dependencies until you updated the Spacedock and the Github still doesn't.

Yeah, it's understandable but sometimes annoying that LinuxGuruGamer doesn't bundle dependencies. :shrug:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Don't know if this has been reported before, if so, sorry (a search didn't turn up anything).

There's a funny interaction with JC and the toolbar buttons for Click Through Blocker.  If you move them to a JC folder, the first time you do it, the button gets duplicated instead, one in the folder and one still on the toolbar.  Both duplicate and original still work. 

Removing the duplicate from the folder via alt-rmb makes it disappear, and a subsequent attempt to move the original button from the toolbar to the folder works normally.

Buttons from other mods do not seem to be similarly affected.

Not a problem, really, just a bit odd.  Thought you'd like to know.  If you want log files I'll post 'em.

Edited by wreckreation
clarification

On 7/4/2022 at 4:53 PM, wreckreation said:

If you want log files I'll post 'em.

@linuxgurugamer always wants log files, Player.log and KSP.log.

In this case, I'd say do a game run where you

• Move the button(s) to a JC folder
  • Use both duplicates of the buttons
  • Remove the buttons in the JC folder(s)
  • Move the button(s) again to a JC folder
  • Then quit

And then provide the log files.

I'm unable to reproduce it subsequently.  :p  I'll keep trying, and if successful, I'll submit the logs then. 

Well, that didn't take long.

xwdfJfN.png

KSP.log

Player.log

JanitorsCloset.cfg

This is on ksp v.1.12.2; the first one was on v1.12.3.

I used QuickExit to exit the game while the icons were duplicated.

update: Reran the game and the JC folder and duplicated button pictured at left are not there.

update 2: the same thing just happened with the button for EVE - duplicated first time, works correctly second time.  Like I said, not a showstopper.

Edited by wreckreation
update

• 3 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Does hiding mod parts transfer between saves?  So if I hide Near Future Launch vehicles from 1 save would it remove from the rest?

No but you can export the current blocked list and then import it to another save. (Permaprune does apply across saves)

• 1 month later...

Hey @linuxgurugamer, I noticed that you're fixing memory leaks in several of your mods. I was experiencing a terrible one, making the game barely playable. On every scene change (vehicle launch, and even switch between vessel and map view), memory usage ramps up until full, falls back down to the original value, and this repeats maybe 10 times until it finally settles back to the original value. This takes up to 10 minutes. During all this time, the game is basically frozen.

I narrowed it down to Janitor's Closet - which is one of the last mods I suspected, as I don't experience these issues in the VAB, but only during flight.

I found this old posting here. The symptoms are similar (nothing interesting in the logs), but the situations are different, and I didn't mess around with the buttons - I just installed Janitor's Closet, and memory goes boom.

On 3/16/2017 at 2:39 AM, Svm420 said:

@linuxgurugamer

Found your mod cause a memory leak. Nothing is thrown in the log, but memory increases without end while the janitor toolbox toolbar is in use with at least 2 mod hidden. I could not trigger it with only 1 mod hidden. Exact steps below.

Clean install of latest KSP 1.2.2 modded with Janitor's Closet, Part Angle Display, GCMoniter and Part Wizard to test.

1. start KSP (new or old save don't matter) without any button hidden by janitor closet

2. Go to VAB or SPH

3. Hide Here the 2 button from PAD and PW

4. Click Janitor's Closet button to open its toolbar.

5. Leave open for 2 minutes and watch memory allocation increase in GCMoniter wIndow or HUD

6 Close JC toolbar and notice memory allocation stabilizes

It will now leak with any number of hidden buttons being displayed. Only when not displayed does the leak stop.

Testing a little more even without GCMoniter using the Windows Task Manager I can watch memory leak even if only a single button that is hidden is displayed. It leaks slower but starts leaking the moment the button is displayed without delay. I used Part Wizard. Have not tested other scenes, but given these results, it definitely warrants deep testing. Thanks!

Not sure why no one has reported this yet, maybe it only happens in combination with some other mod?

On 8/27/2022 at 1:12 PM, infinite_monkey said:

Hey @linuxgurugamer, I noticed that you're fixing memory leaks in several of your mods. I was experiencing a terrible one, making the game barely playable. On every scene change (vehicle launch, and even switch between vessel and map view), memory usage ramps up until full, falls back down to the original value, and this repeats maybe 10 times until it finally settles back to the original value. This takes up to 10 minutes. During all this time, the game is basically frozen.

I narrowed it down to Janitor's Closet - which is one of the last mods I suspected, as I don't experience these issues in the VAB, but only during flight.

I found this old posting here. The symptoms are similar (nothing interesting in the logs), but the situations are different, and I didn't mess around with the buttons - I just installed Janitor's Closet, and memory goes boom.

Not sure why no one has reported this yet, maybe it only happens in combination with some other mod?

This is odd, I use it all the time and haven't experienced this.

Send me a log, maybe something will pop out

Hmm, weird, I installed JC again, and the problem seems gone.

Oooooh I think I get it. I never realized Janitor's Closet can hide buttons - I just used it for hiding mods in the VAB. And the old memory leak was somehow related to buttons, right?

What I did in the meantime was that I uninstalled Kerbal Telemetry. Besides having a broken CKAN config (files are put directly in GameData instead of a subfolder, so I moved them manually), it keeps adding new buttons. I'm not sure if it was for every new vessel or for every vessel switch. It's annoying, but harmless by itself. But if JC has problems with new buttons popping up, that might explain the issue.

Maybe you can replicate it by installing both Janitor's Closet and Kerbal Telemetry?

On 8/29/2022 at 8:54 PM, infinite_monkey said:

Hmm, weird, I installed JC again, and the problem seems gone.

Oooooh I think I get it. I never realized Janitor's Closet can hide buttons - I just used it for hiding mods in the VAB. And the old memory leak was somehow related to buttons, right?

What I did in the meantime was that I uninstalled Kerbal Telemetry. Besides having a broken CKAN config (files are put directly in GameData instead of a subfolder, so I moved them manually), it keeps adding new buttons. I'm not sure if it was for every new vessel or for every vessel switch. It's annoying, but harmless by itself. But if JC has problems with new buttons popping up, that might explain the issue.

Maybe you can replicate it by installing both Janitor's Closet and Kerbal Telemetry?

It can't be kerbal telemetry itself as it is something installed outside of ksp and doesn't change anything about ksp. if anything it's the telemachus mod

9 minutes ago, Overloader said:

It can't be kerbal telemetry itself as it is something installed outside of ksp and doesn't change anything about ksp. if anything it's the telemachus mod

Kerbal Telemetry is now standalone and doesn't need Telemachus. It has its own button, titled "Kerbal Telemetry", for enabling the web server. And it's that button that keeps getting instantiated again and again.

3 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

Kerbal Telemetry is now standalone and doesn't need Telemachus. It has its own button, titled "Kerbal Telemetry", for enabling the web server. And it's that button that keeps getting instantiated again and again.

then you cant be talking about my (the linked) kerbal telemetry. didnt know theres another one
Mine is standalone

Oooooh wait, so this is not your mod? https://spacedock.info/mod/2643/Kerbal Telemetry is what I'm using. I didn't realize these were different mods... And the other one doesn't seem to have a forum entry.

@linuxgurugamer I noticed there are already bug reports about both my issues on Kerbal Telemetry's github. I still think it's also a bug in Janitor's closet, because it's JC's handling of the multiplying button which turns a minor issue into one that makes the game unplayable.

20 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

Oooooh wait, so this is not your mod? https://spacedock.info/mod/2643/Kerbal Telemetry is what I'm using. I didn't realize these were different mods... And the other one doesn't seem to have a forum entry.

@linuxgurugamer I noticed there are already bug reports about both my issues on Kerbal Telemetry's github. I still think it's also a bug in Janitor's closet, because it's JC's handling of the multiplying button which turns a minor issue into one that makes the game unplayable.

What's the link to your mod?