[1.12.x] End your parts list nightmare - Introducing The Janitor's Closet

linuxgurugamer

7 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I see the problem, but it's going to be a while until I can fix it.  Something changed in the internals and I need to figure out what.

No rush, I can always go back to manually deleting things in the meantime if needed. :) 

Tremendous idea for a mod. 

I installed it and went on a cleaning spree, removing a few hundred redundant parts.

But, I got a little carried away, and I've permapruned a few things that I need. For example, I tried to remove the Tac LS hex cans for food, water & O2 and just leave those which contain some of all supplies. But those have been pruned too; I guess because they share a model which I inadvertently removed. Same for proc fairings, permapruning one fairing base apparently prunes them all. 

I've tried exiting the game, and removing the suffix '.prune' from all off these parts. But when the game loads, it adds that suffix again, and doesn't load any of them. I tried unblocking, then repeating the reload, but no joy. 

I realise that undo permaprune will reinstate these, but I don't want to also reinstate the hundreds of other parts which I spent ages deciding to permaprune. Is there a way to un-permaprune specific parts, rather than all in bulk?

So now instead of manually removing redundant parts, needing to close and start the game again, now i can do it from inside the game, how have i lived without this?

Edited by Neoph

On 10/24/2016 at 6:25 AM, Oafman said:

Tremendous idea for a mod. 

I installed it and went on a cleaning spree, removing a few hundred redundant parts.

But, I got a little carried away, and I've permapruned a few things that I need. For example, I tried to remove the Tac LS hex cans for food, water & O2 and just leave those which contain some of all supplies. But those have been pruned too; I guess because they share a model which I inadvertently removed. Same for proc fairings, permapruning one fairing base apparently prunes them all. 

It shouldn't have done that.   Can you provide an example where you prune one part and others get pruned?

I realise that undo permaprune will reinstate these, but I don't want to also reinstate the hundreds of other parts which I spent ages deciding to permaprune. Is there a way to un-permaprune specific parts, rather than all in bulk?

Not at this time, but it is on the roadmap

I've tried exiting the game, and removing the suffix '.prune' from all off these parts. But when the game loads, it adds that suffix again, and doesn't load any of them. I tried unblocking, then repeating the reload, but no joy. 

This is intended behaviour, so that when you update a mod, you don't have to redo all the pruning

4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It shouldn't have done that.   Can you provide an example where you prune one part and others get pruned?

This only happened to parts which share appearance. I imagine they must share a file which got blocked when I pruned one of the parts.

Examples are TAC Life Support, both cylindrical and hexagonal parts. I pruned some of them and left others, but they were all missing. Another example is Procedural Fairings. It gives you two each of conical and egg-shaped fairing, white ones and beige ones. I removed the white, and the beige were missing. That mod only has one file named 'fairing', so you would expect that pruning one would prune the others, but TAC LS seems to have a separate file for every single different part.

I un-permapruned it all, and pruned more carefully, which actually didn't take all that long.But it would still be good to know if there's a way to prune these similar parts.

Great mod though, thank you.

1 minute ago, Oafman said:

This only happened to parts which share appearance. I imagine they must share a file which got blocked when I pruned one of the parts.

Examples are TAC Life Support, both cylindrical and hexagonal parts. I pruned some of them and left others, but they were all missing. Another example is Procedural Fairings. It gives you two each of conical and egg-shaped fairing, white ones and beige ones. I removed the white, and the beige were missing. That mod only has one file named 'fairing', so you would expect that pruning one would prune the others, but TAC LS seems to have a separate file for every single different part.

I un-permapruned it all, and pruned more carefully, which actually didn't take all that long.But it would still be good to know if there's a way to prune these similar parts.

Great mod though, thank you.

again, please give me a couple of specific examples, it will make it easier for me to fix this.

Thanks

Edited by linuxgurugamer

10 hours ago, Rhedd said:

Me too. Makes me cautious to start using this since I can't ever get specific blocked parts back.

I don't mind still using it, since you can save a prune list, and reload it. So you can just unblock everything to get a part you need, and re-block the parts again after. You can also edit the saved prune list in a text editor too to unblock individual parts.

16 hours ago, Rodger said:

I don't mind still using it, since you can save a prune list, and reload it. So you can just unblock everything to get a part you need, and re-block the parts again after. You can also edit the saved prune list in a text editor too to unblock individual parts.

Ah, that's good to know, thanks!

I love this. @linuxgurugamer you are doing great stuff releasing and maintaining sooooo many mods.

This one like the Auto screenshot / save is a god send for me., along with Part commander.

I have a heavily modded game, and I know that permaprune is unadvised, I still us to save on all those parts I don't want from mods I do.

Was renaming the files by hand but got sooooo tedious I gave up.

This MOD is great, keep it up.

@linuxgurugamer  Hahaha, yet another mod for my morbidly obese GameData file!

This is one of those mods you don't know you need until you install it. And then you wonder how you ever lived without it.

I just knew I had to investigate when I saw you were the author. I noticed it on CKAN and linked here to check it out.

Thank you.:cool:

Just noticed an earlier post where you stated you maintain 31 mods. Yes, you are a major contributor to my GameData's obesity.:D

Thank you for doing so much for this community. You and countless others have made this the best group I have ever been involved with. So the old guy with the Bat'leth says Qatlho' !

@linuxgurugamer

hi sir, i'm not sure if anyone reported this or not yet, but even using your mod is a stock game (fresh install) when i right click on a part to make the info stay as i move the mouse, i get the behavior like i left clicked on it, meaning, if there was no parts in vab, the part will be created and added to the scene or if there are parts in vab, a copy of the part will stick to my mouse, it looks like the right click (without any optional buttons) behaves exactly like a left click !

Not a bug. As it says in the OP:

In the editor (VAB or SPH), hold the Alt key while clicking on a part. A two line menu will be shown, giving you the option to block the part in the scene you are currently in (VAB or SPH), or block it entirely:

On 11/10/2016 at 3:21 AM, pslytely psycho said:

Just noticed an earlier post where you stated you maintain 31 mods. Yes, you are a major contributor to my GameData's obesity.

You are behind the times.

Currently 34 released, + 2 contract packs, + 2 in active beta, + another in active development.  Full list here:   https://goo.gl/KxlgIC

My goal is to encourage GameData obesity :D

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Not a bug. As it says in the OP:

You are behind the times.

Currently 34 released, + 2 contract packs, + 2 in active beta, + another in active development.  Full list here:   https://goo.gl/KxlgIC

My goal is to encourage GameData obesity :D

what i say is that when i don't want to show your mod's menu, but just to look at the stats of a part, you would normally right click the part, but doing it, now i get the part created instead of just making the stat's gui stay there while i move the mouse around, why?

18 minutes ago, Jiraiyah said:

what i say is that when i don't want to show your mod's menu, but just to look at the stats of a part, you would normally right click the part, but doing it, now i get the part created instead of just making the stat's gui stay there while i move the mouse around, why?

It shouldn't do that, but I'll take a look at it this evening. Thanks for clarifying