[1.12.x] End your parts list nightmare - Introducing The Janitor's Closet

linuxgurugamer

24 minutes ago, maculator said:

The *expected* behavior is to work like nothing happend. Because *reloading* the database lets the game *reload* its database.

That's actually not true. Plugins are not reloaded when you reload the database (trust me on this, it's a pita when working on plugins) so JanitorsCloset won't be reinitialized properly.

3 hours ago, maculator said:

Premium Bug Report:

Situation: Testing partmods in a clean install. Squad "mod" hidden only Modular Rocket System showing

Mods: Janitors Closet, ModuleManager (idle - no patches in this test), Modular rocket system (only parts folder in correct subfolder -> GameData/ModRocketSys/Parts)

Bug: When selecting a part from the list it places it as root and pins a copy to the mouse wich is placeable but after that no part in the list is selectable. Renders game unplayable without restart.

How to reproduce: Alt+Tab out of KSP, delete a few parts from the ModRocketSys folder, back to game, leave VAB, Reload database via console, enter VAB and it happens.

Log: https://github.com/maculator/Crafts/blob/master/log.cfg

Simple solution:

Don't delete parts from the folder while the game is running, and don't reload the database after doing that.  This is a totally impossible situation to support, and I'm not going to waste my time on it.

If you can reproduce this bug without reloading the database and without deleting parts manually, then post a new report.

1 hour ago, maculator said:

The *expected* behavior is to work like nothing happend. Because *reloading* the database lets the game *reload* its database.

There is no "expected" behavior, there are specific warnings about not doing that, and how things may not work properly.

It shouldn't change anything, And you really don't have to delete anything. Just reloading the database causes it.

Edit:

Well didn't know reloading the database isn't a good thing. This limits the use of janitors closet a bit but its stil the best tool to check out and compare part ods.

Edited by maculator

Hi,

I just installed 

after installation all parts are available but after installing Janitor's Closet both shuttle cockpits are missing in the part list. I tried multiple times reinstalling the mods in different orders. I even tried with a clean install of ksp 1.2.2 with the only mods Shuttle System and JC but the cockpits are not listed.

I'm using CKAN for mod installation (if that helps location the problem). should I open a bug on github or is it a problem on "my side"?

• 3 weeks later...

Notice:  I am aware of an annoying bug:

If you use the Mod filter to hide some mods and then exit the editor, when you reenter, those mods will be unavailable, no matter what you do.  

The workaround is to show all mods, and then exit and reenter the editor.

New release:  0.3.1:

• Fixed bug where parts would be permanently hidden if one or more filters were defined in the modfilter screen.  
  • Added filtering by resource

Note that if you have filters defined in the ModFilter screen, they will be inactive upon entry until you first show the window.  This is a change from the old behaviour

Sorry about that.

new release, 0.3.2:

• Add tooltip to show mod part is from when hovering over part in VAB partlist.  
  • Added settings for mod tooltip.  If disabled, then tooltip will be shown when modifier key is held down
  • updated build script (apparently last version wasn't released properly)

when holding alt and clicking, im not getting any box for pruning, i am getting tool tips, and can filter, just missing that box , im on the latest version

never mind, its working now :P

Edited by Space Kadet

• 4 weeks later...
On 14.06.2017 at 7:20 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Add tooltip to show mod part is from when hovering over part in VAB partlist.  

This feature alone makes you the greatest ksp modder of all the times :cool: 

Can we have internal part name  in this tooltip too? Optional? Please?...

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Not sure what you mean about reverting

I think I do. The mod used to apply its filters right away, but now it's inactive by default and I have to reactivate it every time I enter the VAB

2 minutes ago, Physics Student said:

I think I do. The mod used to apply its filters right away, but now it's inactive by default and I have to reactivate it every time I enter the VAB

There was a bug which this fixed.  Not sure yet what was happening, eventually I'll get back to it.

1 hour ago, KerBlitz Kerman said:

Thx @linuxgurugamer, btw what @Physics Student said is exactly what I meant when reverting to SPH I had to pull up Mod Filter in order to refresh the blocking. Not a serious bug, but a hassle. 

EDIT: Same for VAB

I know it's a hassle but it was the only solution at the time. I'll try to revisit it in a week or so see if I can figure out why I had to do it that way.

Okay. If it isn't way too hard can you only apply it on reverting otherwise you have to manually refresh so separate mission construction isn't filtered. Thank you so much.

P.S. @linuxgurugamer have you looked at the BDAc family (I really mean Vessel Mover for 1.3 as it may not be there yet.

9 hours ago, KerBlitz Kerman said:

Okay. If it isn't way too hard can you only apply it on reverting otherwise you have to manually refresh so separate mission construction isn't filtered. Thank you so much.

P.S. @linuxgurugamer have you looked at the BDAc family (I really mean Vessel Mover for 1.3 as it may not be there yet.

If I could do that, I'd know what was causing it to begin with.

@linuxgurugamer, Thank you for making such a wonderful mod. May I please introduce to you a suggestion for an addition on to Janitor's Closet or as a separate mod that I feel is in desperate need?

The move tool is a very useful tool for hiding parts INSIDE of rockets. For example: I will hide science parts or batteries, ect. INSIDE of a command module or inside of fuel tanks. The problem is that when I come back a few day later to continue work on my rocket build, I forget what parts are installed and I can't se them because they are hidden inside the rocket. 

You would be the perfect person to create a mod that displays a complete and scrollable list of parts that are currently installed on the current vessel.. kinda like how Part Commander works, but functions in the VAB or SPH. I can imagine that the list would be ordered according to the stack. Bottom parts toward the bottom of the list and parts on the top of the rocket toward the top of the list. A bonus would be the ability to sort by alphabetical order and a search box. It would be nice for the part to be highlighted when you hover the mouse over the part in the list.The most important functionality would be when you click on a part from in the list, it instantly selects the part on the rocket and allows you to move it around. 

I think this would solve a big problem in the KSP community. :) 

Edited by Voodoo8648

30 minutes ago, evileye.x said:

Oh thank you so much for pointing that out... I was searching Google for a mod like this but couldn't find it (or maybe I didn't look hard enough :/)...... either way, THANKS!!! Problem solved!