My SciFi/Fantasy novel idea list

Spaceception

Okay, so after a lot of thought, I think I'm going to write 'The Voyage through time' (The title will be renamed later) instead of 'Genesis' (Because I don't know how the story will flow yet), it'll be 2-3 books, and will take place in the 2040s or 50s, haven't decided yet.

I'll begin work/outlining/research when Infinitum is finished, and begin writing when the first book of TCBW is finished, and I'm working on the second.

Also, read an updated OP.

Edited by Spaceception

On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 0:11 AM, Spaceception said:

Mars is being colonized, with Terraforming in the works, but after a cave expedition, life, biologically similar to Earth life is found...

Quick question: How did humanity (or whatever sub-faction of humanity this is) manage to colonize and begin terraforming Mars before finding this life?

instead of finding the human race to be peaceful, and traveling among the stars together, he finds a cruel world ruled by ruthless dictators, and finds himself a prized slave, since he can't go back in time, he must instead rise a rebellion against the dictatorships, and hand the power back over to the people. But how?

So basically Code Geass with a time-traveller as Zero and no superpowers. Sounds pretty cool, actually.

Before J.F.K. was assassinated, he proposed doing a joint US Soviet Moon landing, what if it happened? Unfortunately, because the Soviet prime minister didn't trust the new President Johnson, the plan never got off the ground

That was just one reason out of many. It literally could not have ever been a joint operation. Never. At least not without some serious history alterations.

On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 11:15 AM, Spaceception said:

I don't know how I'll write a novel 10s of trillions of years into the future when the universe is dying.

Actually, I remember a while ago when this video was uploaded (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQMciy2QLOs) and after thinking about it's conclusion I tried to combine both forms of time dilation to create a scenario in which humanity (or some other species) could live octillions of years into the future. The math behind it is complicated, but it all works. Somehow.

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 1:05 PM, Spaceception said:

I have an idea for a novel in the POV of an alien race between the late fifties to now, and their opinions and views on our space programs.

AKA, it'll be a 'We're not mad, we're just disappointed' type novel :)

Hmm, that sounds like it would be more interesting if they talked about every major thing between the late 50s and now, not just the space program. Like how we spend millions of dollars every year on setting up an activity that involves a bunch of people kicking around an inflated ball.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 0:47 PM, Spaceception said:

I have an idea for an alternate history scifi novel set in the mid 50s to present and explores a possible history where the United States becomes first in space before '57s Sputnik, and Project Orion gets picked up as a small project, which quickly overtakes Apollo. The novel not only will explore how the astronauts felt during 'The great expansion' (What I'm calling the era when humanity rapidly begins colonizing the solar system) but society as a whole as technological progress quickly accelerates, and we begin exploring the stars.

What do you guys think? There aren't any novels like that, are there?

Also, as you can tell, I like alternate histories related to space exploration :)

There's something really similar on the Alternate History Wikia, I think it's called "space race never ended" or something like that.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 2:10 PM, The Raging Sandwich said:

How about if humanity got into space a lot earlier than it actually did? Like 100-200 years before?

I tried that before, it turns out the earliest you can make manned spaceflight happen without massively altering history is the late 30s or early 40s.

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 9:51 AM, Spaceception said:

This is for an antihero novel, I guess it could be sci-fi in some respects, but basically, it'd follow a vigilante who figures out how to give himself the ability to control people (Like Imperio in Harry Potter) and uses it to stop crime in his city, in rash and sometimes cruel ways, other than that, he's pretty normal, and is just extremely skilled in hand to hand, as well as gymnastics.

He also implants a device that takes control of his body so in situations where emotion can hinder his abilities, it shuts off some of them like compassion, and he basically gets an artificial alternate personality that will do anything to stop crime, including murder.

Two words: Light. Yagami.

9 hours ago, ChrisSpace said:

Quick question: How did humanity (or whatever sub-faction of humanity this is) manage to colonize and begin terraforming Mars before finding this life?

So basically Code Geass with a time-traveller as Zero and no superpowers. Sounds pretty cool, actually.

That was just one reason out of many. It literally could not have ever been a joint operation. Never. At least not without some serious history alterations.

Actually, I remember a while ago when this video was uploaded (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQMciy2QLOs) and after thinking about it's conclusion I tried to combine both forms of time dilation to create a scenario in which humanity (or some other species) could live octillions of years into the future. The math behind it is complicated, but it all works. Somehow.

Hmm, that sounds like it would be more interesting if they talked about every major thing between the late 50s and now, not just the space program. Like how we spend millions of dollars every year on setting up an activity that involves a bunch of people kicking around an inflated ball.

There's something really similar on the Alternate History Wikia, I think it's called "space race never ended" or something like that.

I tried that before, it turns out the earliest you can make manned spaceflight happen without massively altering history is the late 30s or early 40s.

Two words: Light. Yagami.

The life is deep underground, shielded from pretty much everything, only after a cave expedition starts showing strange readings, do they find it.

Also, colonization is still in full force, and isn't finished, also terraforming has only been in the works for nine years, and they've mostly just made plans.

Haven't heard of that, (I'm sorry to all of you but I don't watch anime!) but there's no 'false utopia' like in Divergent or whatever, it's rundown, corrupted, dirty, and extremely dangerous.
But thanks :)

Yeah, if I write it, it's going to need a load of research.

That video is ridiculously long. :D

Good idea!

I've read that, I might loosely base it off of it.

Well, maybe steampunk without spaceflight, and limited airflight.

Also, never heard of that. But the protag is a medical/biotech student who builds a device that can control people's bodies against their will, like bloodbending (Avatar/Korra, is the closest thing I've watched that's probably anime) , or like I said earlier, Imperio, (Look up 'Sufficiently advanced' on YT, he builds a similar device, but it needs a controller, and the person actually needs to wear the helmet),

Also, check the OP for The Voyage Through Time (Now The Time Sleeper) update :)

15 hours ago, Spaceception said:

Also, colonization is still in full force, and isn't finished, also terraforming has only been in the works for nine years, and they've mostly just made plans.

So is the colonialism a corporation-run thing or a government-run thing?

15 hours ago, Spaceception said:

Also, never heard of that. But the protag is a medical/biotech student who builds a device that can control people's bodies against their will, like bloodbending (Avatar/Korra, is the closest thing I've watched that's probably anime) , or like I said earlier, Imperio, (Look up 'Sufficiently advanced' on YT, he builds a similar device, but it needs a controller, and the person actually needs to wear the helmet),

Hmm, that reference was more about the bit where you said: "It'd follow a vigilante who has the ability to control people and uses it to stop crime in his city, in rash and sometimes cruel ways, other than that, he's pretty normal." and "He basically gets a personality that will do anything to stop crime, including murder. "

• 2 weeks later...

Alright! So.... superhero novel, right.

I think I'll write it during NaNoWriMo in November this year, by then, Infinitum, the first novel of The Children Between Worlds should be finished, The second novel should be in the writing phase, and the Time Sleeper should have made significant progress.

So anyway, what's it going to be about? Well, it's still in the rough stages, however, it'll follow a biochemist student who gets chosen to be part of a special, highly secretive program because of his intelligence and physical abilities. The project is led by a powerful biotech firm that wants to experiment on humans, so they test it on some college kids, to see if they can make them superhuman, after the tests are a success, they give them mechsuits so they can become vigilantes. Now, what about that 'artificially planted alternate personality device' thingamajig I mentioned? Well, it's given to a couple of the testers to see how it behaves, but after an extremely traumatic mission, they lose all control, and the device completely takes over, making them superpowered villains with no empathy, or concept of mercy.

Edited by Spaceception

• 2 months later...

So I'm on mobile, so I can't get into much detail, but the superhero novel idea I have is moving forward, looks like I'll be writing it in November. 

It'll definitely be a psycho thriller/sci-fi/action adventure genre. And it'll mostly follow the antagonist, I'll write a 1st chapter sometime, but if I do it right, it'll be epic, and play with your emotions :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Working on a new plot for the Children between Worlds and Infinitum. I'll be doing the Children between Worlds during NaNoWriMo, and however long it takes after to finish the first draft. Then I'll start Infinitum again. It's been awhile...

@ChrisSpace Didn't want to derail NSEP's thread, but here's a basic premise... that may be changed :D

In the near future, a large amount of an unknown substance hits the ocean at high velocity. Scientists worldwide celebrate the discovery as proof of extraterrestrial life, but within a few months, they find it's hijacking, and changing the ecosystem. Several more of these hit the Earth over the following year, and they conclude the Earth must be being terraformed. They look in the direction where it came from, and see traces of what look to be ships, moving towards Earth. Everyone goes into high alert, and humanity begins constructing a fleet of their own around the Earth and Moon, as well as the Mars colony. Millions of people are shipped off Earth to give humans a chance.

Spoilers about the aliens.

Spoiler

The aliens are a fractured hive-mind, as they rapidly grow; they need more places with a biosphere to sustain them and their biotechnology. Due to warring between factions, they go to other solar systems. Since terraforming takes too long, it's easier to just hijack a planet with an already existing biosphere, before expanding outward through habitats and terraforming.
However, due to their reliance on biotech, their ships can't go to extremely high speeds due to the waste heat that would be produced, so they're limited with mild fusion, and laser/light sails. Giving humans enough time to prepare (Decades).

Edited by Spaceception

23 hours ago, Spaceception said:

In the near future, a large amount of an unknown substance hits the ocean at high velocity. Scientists worldwide celebrate the discovery as proof of extraterrestrial life, but within a few months, they find it's hijacking, and changing the ecosystem.

Protomolecule reaches Earth. Got it.

Several more of these hit the Earth over the following year, and they conclude the Earth must be being terraformed. They look in the direction where it came from, and see traces of what look to be ships, moving towards Earth.

You'd think they'd search that part of the sky as soon as the first blob hit, unless they were extremely convinced that it was just natural panspermia.

Everyone goes into high alert, and humanity begins constructing a fleet of their own around the Earth and Moon, as well as the Mars colony.

So, what's the purpose of the Mars colony? Is it to give humanity a second base of operations in case Earth is overrun, or is it to produce oxygen/hydrogen/water/methane/steel for constructing more battleships?

Millions of people are shipped off Earth to give humans a chance.

The aliens must be reeeeally slow if there's time for this.

In any case, I'll share my extra thoughts later this evening once I see what SC thinks of my initial ideas.

Edited by ChrisSpace

8 hours ago, ChrisSpace said:

Protomolecule reaches Earth. Got it.

You'd think they'd search that part of the sky as soon as the first blob hit, unless they were extremely convinced that it was just natural panspermia.

So, what's the purpose of the Mars colony? Is it to give humanity a second base of operations in case Earth is overrun, or is it to produce oxygen/hydrogen/water/methane/steel for constructing more battleships?

The aliens must be reeeeally slow if there's time for this.

Kinda, I guess. Once it has a foothold, it spreads fast. Some hit population centers, etc, and no one is really sure whether they should nuke it (That'll be a conflict in itself).

Yeah, you're right. I did say it was subject to change.

Humanity is in the middle of colonizing Mars when it happens, may as well continue if the Earth may become uninhabitable. And yeah, they also begin to construct a fleet around Mars to protect it.

If we're desperate, and have the technology, I'd argue that we would devote more time and resources to space exploration. And maybe not a few million people, but you could probably do a few hundred thousand at the least with the time given. Assuming not much goes wrong. Each BFR could do up to 100 people. If you have a lot of engineers, and prior experience using them, you could build up fairly quickly. Many of them would go to the Moon anyway. Plus, like I said, they've got around several decades before they enter the solar system.

Edited by Spaceception

14 minutes ago, ChrisSpace said:

Alright, I've got some ideas for this, but due to the forum rules against politics I'll PM you about it later today instead

Ok, keep in mind, I'm very early in this. Infinitum and The children between worlds have to come first before I start planning that, so the plot may be different in a few months or something like that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.