Allow Horizontal Camera Translation in the VAB

It's really a quality of life thing. KSP's VAB and SPH are some of the best CAD programs I've seen, but the VAB lacks the ability to translate the camera horizontally. As of right now, you're attached with a rope to an invisible pole in the center of the building. By enabling the camera to move in all axes, we can make more complicated designs, and see angles that would otherwise be blocked.

I don't know how much work it would take, but I'd imagine that it couldn't fit in 1.2.0. But it's something I'd really like to see in 1.3.0.

What are your thoughts?

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

That sounds exactly like WASDCamera mod

Not quite. In most CAD software, Shift+LMB is the "move the camera around" button. WASD isn't the same, and I think it might get in the way of rotation controls.

20 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Not quite. In most CAD software, Shift+LMB is the "move the camera around" button. WASD isn't the same, and I think it might get in the way of rotation controls.

This isn't a CAD program, at least, not a professional one.  It works for people who don't  know anything about CAD

29 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

This isn't a CAD program, at least, not a professional one.  It works for people who don't  know anything about CAD

Fair enough. I still think that Shift+LMB will work better, though. :)

Which reminds me, there would need to be a way to snap back to the center axis. I think.

IIRC, it's either Shift-MMB or LeftCtrl+LMB.

But you do agree that horizontal translation needs to be added, right?

EDIT: RMB is for changing the viewing angle. Shift+MMB is for zoom. Shift+LMB is for translation.

But if this is implemented, the devs can figure out the best way to map it. The real point of this thread is to suggest adding horizontal translation.

13 hours ago, Jonfliesgoats said:

Along the lines of what Speeding Mullet is saying is there a way to get mirror symmetry in the VAB?  Just like he takes planes to the VAB for perspective, I take certain rockets to the SPH to use mirror symmetry. 

Yes, there is a way. Press "C" I think. Or maybe "T."

Edited by Dman979

• 1 month later...

Ok, now it's really starting to bug me. I've been trying to get back into the game after a long break, but I just can't build a darn thing.

If I remember correctly, at least one previous version of KSP supported using keys to move around the SPH. This version does not. I can't move my camera around without using MMB. I can't even do that at all in the VAB.

I know there's a patch coming out soon. Can we get support for this, please?

25 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Ok, now it's really starting to bug me. I've been trying to get back into the game after a long break, but I just can't build a darn thing.

If I remember correctly, at least one previous version of KSP supported using keys to move around the SPH. This version does not. I can't move my camera around without using MMB. I can't even do that at all in the VAB.

I know there's a patch coming out soon. Can we get support for this, please?

Patch was 1.2.1, a few days ago.

It's a mod:

http://spacedock.info/mod/56/WasdEditorCameraContinued

Edited by linuxgurugamer

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It was never in stock, it was always this mod

Ok, I'm wrong. But I still want it to be in stock.

4 minutes ago, foamyesque said:

Using keys to move around the SPH is completely possible. Shift+numpad.

And if you have no numpad? I didn't see any settings to reconfigure what does what.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.