Devnote Tuesday: The experimentals Quest!

SQUAD

1 hour ago, FishInferno said:

I have been away from KSP for a while, could someone please fill me in on the major changes of this update?

Define "a while.":P

Assuming you were around in 1.1.x:
Wheels aren't borked (in particular, Wheel Blocked workaround has been removed)
A couple new antennae
Kerbnet (comms network)
In-Situ kerbal leveling
O-10's got bigger and of lighter color
Fairings have interstage nodes and dynamically appearing meshes
New "debug" tools, such as a slider for hacked gravity
Vector fonts
Massive performance enhancements (particularly the reduction of stutter)
Patched the Patched Conics
Maybe some science stuff?
Autostrutting available to damn near every part
(Apparently) Improved aero again

3 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

I just noticed the automatic experience level up. Omg thank you squad <3

Even better, the science lab triggers a level up if you leave that automatic level up turned off.  So it becomes a strategy to build bases and stations to keep your kerbals peaked out.

8vjQcZw.png

Edited by Alshain

23 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Even better, the science lab triggers a level up if you leave that automatic level up turned off.  So it becomes a strategy to build bases and stations to keep your kerbals peaked out.

Aw thats great! Crap now I have to start a new career and fix my settings.

Just now, Pthigrivi said:

Aw thats great! Crap now I have to start a new career and fix my settings.

You can also change all of the difficulty options on-the-fly in the in-game settings menu.  So if you started a career with it turned on, you can turn it back off.

1 minute ago, Alshain said:

You can also change all of the difficulty options on-the-fly in the in-game settings menu.  So if you started a career with it turned on, you can turn it back off.

*many of the difficulty settings.  The interesting thing about the auto-level up is that it will de-level kerbals if you turn the setting off (simply a side effect of the way Kerbal levels are calculated and not stored).

1 minute ago, nightingale said:

*many of the difficulty settings.  The interesting thing about the auto-level up is that it will de-level kerbals if you turn the setting off (simply a side effect of the way Kerbal levels are calculated and not stored).

Only temporarily.  They will still have all their points and next time the return they will regain their levels.

2 hours ago, nightingale said:

Is this also true for kerbals leveled via the lab?

11 hours ago, Alshain said:

Is this documented somewhere or did you figure it out with trial & error @Alshain?  Seems like something that SHOULD be documented for user knowledge if it isn't...

59 minutes ago, Ignath said:

Is this documented somewhere or did you figure it out with trial & error @Alshain?  Seems like something that SHOULD be documented for user knowledge if it isn't...

I didn't figure it out, I saw some one discuss it in the pre forums.

9 hours ago, KerbMav said:

Is this also true for kerbals leveled via the lab?

No, that is a symptom of changing game difficulty settings.  If your Kerbals had to be leveled up in the lab then the auto-level up must have been turned off already.

The game doesn't actually store what level (how many stars) a Kerbal is.  Instead it stores what they have done (i.e. landed on the Mun) and then calculates it.  So when you turn the auto-level up off mid-game, it simply dumps them down to no stars if they are already out in flight somewhere.  However it still remembers they landed on the Mun, so if you bring them to a lab or back home, their level will jump back up.

Edited by Alshain

2 minutes ago, Columbia said:

Could you elaborate further on this? 

Thanks, I'm not the best at following devnotes and changelogs.

So, you know that wheels autostrut to the heaviest part on a craft, right? That functionality has been extended to most other parts, via a toggle while "Advanced Tweakables" is turned on.

On 14/09/2016 at 2:07 PM, Binho said:

Comparing Merlin engines isn't wholly fair, since they use 9 engines on the first stage and so they need to be smaller.

Actually, the Merlin 1D and Merlin 1D Vaccum are pretty much the same engine besides the bell nozzle. Of course if you compare the F1 from the Saturn V with the LEROS 1b from Juno, the F1 will be a lot bigger. You have to compare equivalente engines and the Merlins are very good for that.

You can read more here: http://www.braeunig.us/space/propuls.htm

Or talk to the autor @OhioBob

Leveling kerbals via the MPL is a great buff to the MPL; I will want to have one in orbit (or landed) on every planet in the system. Auto-level makes it too easy, IMO. A visit to the MPL makes a lot of sense. It does so much now, that I wonder if the mass or part cost should be increased?

The parts look great, but I can't find any instructions on how to install.  Is it just copy to gamedata like for mods?  What does one do with the "source"  folder?

What ever happened to "readme?"

Thanks in advance

PS yes I did search both google and this forum.  Plenty on how to install mods but not parts.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.