Devnote Tuesday: The experimentals Quest!

SQUAD

34 minutes ago, TopHeavy11 said:

Well, that's all concept. It's not all real. I can tell you that the majority of those parts are purely conceptual. @Porkjet has yet to make that stock. I wish it was going to be in 1.2, but alas, it is unlikely. :(

The reason the overhauled parts aren't in 1.2, as the devotes said, is that it's a huge project that is far from finished; basically Squad released seprately what was already done, probably with just placeholder configs so they're usable "out of the box", due to the strong anticipation for them, and to act as a guide to the new part upgrade ability for modders.

Notice that the 1.25m parts we have match the concept designs, so that's not just speculation, it's a taste of what's to come in the full overhaul, and probably will come in a future v1.3. 

1 hour ago, Laguna said:

The reason the overhauled parts aren't in 1.2, as the devotes said, is that it's a huge project that is far from finished; basically Squad released seprately what was already done, probably with just placeholder configs so they're usable "out of the box", due to the strong anticipation for them, and to act as a guide to the new part upgrade ability for modders.

Notice that the 1.25m parts we have match the concept designs, so that's not just speculation, it's a taste of what's to come in the full overhaul, and probably will come in a future v1.3. 

*drools*

On 9/14/2016 at 5:50 AM, HatBat said:

The problem, it seems, is that porkjet is either being asked to or ignoring styles outside of what he's impressed people with in the past. The current models may not be very high fidelity but they honestly look better than what we've been shown of the revamp. Porkjet isn't so much improving the parts but just making them in his own rather repetitive aesthetic. 

I can get by with the engines. Its really the fuel tanks that are bothering me. Those borders..

It looks as if he just smoothed the tanks out a little.

Edited by Columbia

8 minutes ago, Murican_Jeb said:

Are you guys ever gonna fix the Kerbal Spagehhti glitch? It might ruin rover missions in the future

Kerbal Spaghetti seems to be inherent to ragdolls. We've had it since as long as I can remember. Typically it only happens when you do something questionable (like smashing kerbals between plates) anyway, so it's low-priority.

3 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Kerbal Spaghetti seems to be inherent to ragdolls. We've had it since as long as I can remember. Typically it only happens when you do something questionable (like smashing kerbals between plates) anyway, so it's low-priority.

It can also happen when falling out of a capsule, powerful explosins, other things that are normal (sort of)

Edit: It can also happen by high G's on the kerbal

Edited by Murican_Jeb

Just now, Murican_Jeb said:

It can also happen when falling out of a capsule, powerful explosins, other things that are normal (sort of)

But typically things that'd harm a rover mission anyway. The one I'd like to see fixed is the physwarp suicide jump. That's distressing to me sometimes.

So having informally kicked the tires so to speak regarding the latest build and also poking around a bit to investigate the new part proposals, I must say I am throughly impressed. More so today than in any previous releases.

It is clear that there is still a journey ahead, but the strides being made these days are a vast difference from days past.

I propose that the current incarnation of our Dev Team should be officially released as 1.0  ;-)

I now formally bow in their general direction...

1 hour ago, woo_reentry_is_cool_dude said:

BUT , will the fairings actualy be a solid matter in this update . i'm tired of satellites constantly falling off trough fairings

"Falling off"? As in they disconnect from your ship and phase through the fairings? That's at least 2 bugs there that you should report, if you can recreate them in 1.2pre.

Stuff should not fall off your ship without an event (staging or collision) happening.
Stuff should not phase through any part of another ship.

And in case you didn't mean it disconnected, but was still part of the ship:

Things inside a fairing should always be strutted to the fairing with autostruts. If you can build a ship in 1.2pre that does not do this, you should report that as a bug and submit the craft file.

On 13.9.2016 at 11:06 PM, Temeter said:

8ZMlyHu.png

Porky, you'er a god :o

Also should save some peoples worries the part might not be kerbal anymore. @Andem :wink:

We get skirts for rocket engines :) Meanwhile all kerbals run around in spacesuits even then driving rovers at KSC. If we get skirts for kerbals things changes. 
Is this an option / upgrade on engines or is an extra part? 
The new 505 / 303 looks like having an small fuel tank.

22 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

We get skirts for rocket engines :) Meanwhile all kerbals run around in spacesuits even then driving rovers at KSC. If we get skirts for kerbals things changes. 
Is this an option / upgrade on engines or is an extra part? 
The new 505 / 303 looks like having an small fuel tank.

Indeed, 909 ( :wink: ) and 303 do have small, integrated fuel tanks, without being heavier..

1 minute ago, Temeter said:

Indeed, 909 ( :wink: ) and 303 do have small, integrated fuel tanks, without being heavier..

Nice, I always disliked the small bells on engines who are supposed to be vacuum only. The Apollo lander decent stage was build around the engine. 

ESU-05400-A-20C which appears on the outside of the new science holder part frpm Roverdude seems to be a reference to this:

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19830002844.pdf

"A Computer Program For The Optimum Preliminary Design Of A Transport Airplane"

or perhaps not   

Its a bunch of nerdy stuff that makes no sense to me :confused:

Edited by klesh

42 minutes ago, EasyAce said:

It's tuesday!!

In your country! But maybe you are just excited. :)

Question: Do we even need devnotes this week, given that the prerelease builts come with a change log in the prerelease part of the forum?

I think: Yes, we do! So many threads discussing so many new (small, yet big) features, I guess a summary would be well received. Also, a clarification at a prominent place like the devnote post about the new rocket parts would be helpful to clear things up. Basically a gathering of all the new info flying around in countless posts. :)

I am getting really excited. *alternately twitching butt cheeks*

1 hour ago, KerbMav said:

Question: Do we even need devnotes this week, given that the prerelease builts come with a change log in the prerelease part of the forum?

The changelogs + bugtracker are enough for me on the 1.2 / PC front, but I do think we need a devnotes to update all the console customers who have been hung out to dry while 1.2 is in testing.

5 hours ago, StarStreak2109 said:

And even if 1.2 would take off today, it'll still be at least a couple of weeks until all (my) favorite mods'll be updated and working again! Having said that, I am pretty excited to play with that new CommNet! :D

True :( but I do love the CKAN & SPACEDOCK scavenger hunt checking for updated mods every 10 minutes. :) One of my favorite things to do while waiting for it lol 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.