i have just read this on ksp wiki ...

woo_reentry_is_cool_dude

so , i was reading trough ksp wiki and i found this : Expansion packs/DLCs (different from updates, will be purchased separately and include features distinct from the original game's main idea)[4] (Partially implemented by the official Squad mods Kerbin Cup and Asteroid Day)

if you don't see the problem , i'll show you again : "will be purchased separately and include features distinct from the original game's main idea"

squad , you're not EA . why would you make paid DLCs ? kerbin cup and asteroid day are good things . but i don't want to end up with paid dlcs , OR EVEN PAID MODS . squad , i thought (and still think) , that you are not that type of company . (feel free to share opinion)

I like DLC. And by DLC I mean Expansion Packs: the things you buy that are basically a game inside the game; not this new trend of paying $£€5 to get a different skin or to have the "too lazy to train in the beginning of the game" pack.

The idea of expanding a game you like is awesome. The current idea of DLC everyone (including game dev/editors) have is terrible.

Edited by Gaarst

oh , sorry then , but in my repley to red iron crown , you may have saw i said " i hope they wont be EA style 60 dollar pieces of one good think bundled with a pile of useless"

, that's what i mean . i don't mind poying 2 (or some reasonable price) dollars for interstellar travel .

Just now, woo_reentry_is_cool_dude said:

oh , sorry then , but in my repley to red iron crown , you may have saw i said " i hope they wont be EA style 60 dollar pieces of one good think bundled with a pile of useless"

, that's what i mean . i don't mind poying 2 (or some reasonable price) dollars for interstellar travel .

Providing that same DLC provides us with another star system to travel to AND it does not require paying a sacrifice to the Kraken to get there.

16 minutes ago, woo_reentry_is_cool_dude said:

well yeah . thaks for opinion . maybe , if they implement it , it wont be that bad . but i hope they wont be EA style 60 dollar pieces of one good think bundled with a pile of useless .

sorry , i mean *thing at there .

It's a business they deserve to be paid for their work, we aren't entitled to anything from them for free. I would be fine with paid DLCs  so no i don't see why you are having a panic attack.

The wiki is maintained by the community, not Squad staff. That bit you've quoted was probably based on something one of the devs said in passing four years ago. I wouldn't read anything into it.

That said, at some point new sales will drop off to the point where the only options are to start charging for new content or wind down official development.

35 minutes ago, woo_reentry_is_cool_dude said:

so , i was reading trough ksp wiki and i found this : Expansion packs/DLCs (different from updates, will be purchased separately and include features distinct from the original game's main idea)[4] (Partially implemented by the official Squad mods Kerbin Cup and Asteroid Day)

if you don't see the problem , i'll show you again : "will be purchased separately and include features distinct from the original game's main idea"

squad , you're not EA . why would you make paid DLCs ? kerbin cup and asteroid day are good things . but i don't want to end up with paid dlcs , OR EVEN PAID MODS . squad , i thought (and still think) , that you are not that type of company . (feel free to share opinion)

I've already gotten ridiculous value for the puny amount I paid for KSP. I'd prepay right now for new content, just because I feel guilty for having gotten well past my $30 worth (or whatever I paid). Seriously, I've had many hundreds of hours of enjoyment for the cost of a cheap bottle of wine.

yeah , we got one argument (or whatever i call it , i'm not that good in english . i'm slovak after all )  . but next thing i fear is the PAID MODS or a ksp sequel (extremely unlikely but possible) . paid mods . and i understand ksp has a small price , i would also repay , and i changed my stance to : paid DLCs wich are worth the price are good , but plese no paid mods or a sequel .

I'd be perfectly fine with Squad making paid DLC if it allowed them to keep developing KSP in the future. The game has probably made most of its sales already, so any future money will have to come from somewhere to pay their staff.

I wouldn't want a sequel though and I'd rather another game was something different. Kerbal evolution program or something. A KSP 2 would be essentially the same but nicer graphics, and they would have to spend another 5 years sticking in all the content we already have.

Edited by Frozen_Heart

41 minutes ago, Combatsmithen said:

NO! MP is a stock feature of any game!

EA be like. $60 to unlock Multiplayer, $60 to actually use matchmaking, $1 dollar every time you enter matchmaking

Name an EA game that is like that.

1 hour ago, woo_reentry_is_cool_dude said:

squad , you're not EA . why would you make paid DLCs ?

Because development costs money?

Edited by klgraham1013

1 hour ago, woo_reentry_is_cool_dude said:

squad , you're not EA . why would you make paid DLCs?

1. Arbitrarily and cynically dividing complete products into DLC's at release is what EA's infamous for.  It's a disguised price hike, forcing you to buy more bits just to get a functional game.

2.  KSP is not subscription.  We pay once.  We're not entitled to free content expansions forever (but can make them ourselves thanks to modding).

3.  Squad is not a charity.  We continue to enjoy updates and new content only because people still buy KSP.

Selling an add-on like "asteroid day", that'd be legitimate.  It's something that cost them time and money to make, was actually an add-on and not a cynical re-selling of split content, was produced after the main game settled into its current form, and the game is fully usable without it.  They used to call things like that "expansion packs", which is closer to how DLC ought to be used.

If Squad split the spaceplane hangar off into a paid DLC, that'd be pulling an EA. 

Edited by Corona688

58 minutes ago, Combatsmithen said:

NO! MP is a stock feature of any game!

EA be like. $60 to unlock Multiplayer, $60 to actually use matchmaking, $1 dollar every time you enter matchmaking

*cough* NoMansSky *cough*

As far as the wiki... AFAIK squad doesn't write on the wiki, useds do... check the page history and see who added it... my guess is that its not squad. Take the wiki with a grain of salt.

I see your concerns, but I don't see the need for real worry.  If Squad gives us DLC worth the money, that probably wouldn't be so bad.  I would prefer an expansion pack, considering those give more content, but it all depends I suppose.  Truthfully I have a lot of doubt that Squad will release a DLC or expansion pack, simply because whatever they could release, someone else has likely already made a mod for.  That is, of course, anything necessarily worth paying for.  Of course their are still plenty of mods that would be great, but a lot of them probably are a bit of a ways out of the scope of a DLC/Expansion pack. 

Besides, I think if they want to include paid DLCs/Expansions, they would have done it a while ago.  If they really were considering it, they could've easily called the overhauled parts and such a DLC, or the Antenna relay system a Expansion pack.  But they haven't, and considering that, I doubt that they will in the future. 

Anyway, that is just my two cents.  Very interesting stuff though. 

There was a massive kerfuffle over this a few years ago. Anyone who bought in before a certain point gets all future DLC for free; as I am one of those people, I honestly couldn't care.

Though, really, considering the engine is open source, and most of what they've been adding are done better or more comprehensively with mods beforehand, I'm seriously wondering what they would possibly add as paid DLC.

8 minutes ago, Stargate525 said:

I'm seriously wondering what they would possibly add as paid DLC.

I'd happily pay $20 for an official Outer Planets expansion on the scale of OPM, once there's more to do on the surface of planets and more reason to explore them.

Yes, I know OPM is essentially the same thing for free, but I'm thrilled with the value of entertainment hours versus price of KSP so far.  I even bought a second copy on Steam (I originally bought before it was available on Steam) just because KSP is easily worth double the list price and it gives me two ways to access updates.

Edited by RoboRay

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.