Creating Kerbals in 1.2

Riisos

This feature is great, I love it. I love that I can name them, I love that I can make them veterans, I love that it's in the debug menu. However, I do wish it could supersede the current active limit set by the Astronaut Complex. I've always wanted more crew in my career games, but I also love the ability to earn funds and collect science from around the Kerbin system in career mode. Lately I've been playing science mode to blend those two aspects, allowing me to build large bases and stations with lots of crew while still giving me the option to view my science reports which I view as sort of in-game achievements. I hope they consider removing the max limit for the full 1.2 release. Thoughts?

On a side note, I wish career was also a little more Kerbin-atmosphere-friendly. I love building planes, but there are only a couple of contracts that let you do things like "investigate location 'x' below altitude 'y'. I tried a fresh career mode game last night and you have to get a good few nodes into the tech tree and do some upgrading to the facilities to get your x-plane program off the ground. Maybe I just wasn't getting the lightning bolts to the snack box, but trying to get something in the air with just that first wing set on that terribly bumpy runway was pretty tough.

I like to play with no reverting for extra challenge, but after I lost four Kerbals I started just turning off the runway and taking off from the ground behind KSC as it's flatter than the tier 0 airstrip. Not easy getting a small plane in the air with the wing parts in that node either. I know I should probably just do more space stuff and unlock some more tech nodes (the one below the main first 'flight' node has some better small craft wings with actuators) and get some extra funds, but for career mode I enjoy getting my flight program running before my space program. Again the "Create Kerbal" button really helped me here, as getting the crew for this and upgrading the complex and runway would be a cool half million in funds, which is a bit steep if you haven't yet even orbited Kerbin.

P.S. - Loving the com network.

Indeed it is really awesome, you can make them veterans with the orange spacesuit and give them the badass stat so they are always happy no matter what danger they are staring down, even adjust sliders for their courage and stupidity. I haven't tested it in science mode, I assume there is no limit there, but there in career it seems you are bound by the limits of your astronaut complex capacity. Not a big deal, it is a super awesome addition overall.

2 minutes ago, Francois424 said:

I hope you take submissions for your next let's play.  As usual, I am in. :)

I instantly thought of you when seeing this feature... wonder why.

Because I was screaming for it since like... well ever. 1.1 was nice in that we could edit the persistent file. Now it's even better.

Not sure if I'm going to take names for this current series, as it may only last until the Prerelease is over (and mods are updated, so maybe a bit longer) and then I'm gong to start a "real" series.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.