Crew rescue rendezvous!

It turned out my Minmus lander had a slight design flaw (those ASAS modules above the capsule tend the fall off when parachutes open fully), so time for a rescue mission!

The challenge: rendezvous with a craft in orbit and transfer crew using EVA. I didn\'t use mechjeb, so um, with only two spare seats on the rescue vessel Buzz had to be left behind. See if you can do better!

screenshot63.gif

I did my first Munar EVA with BILL, BOB, and JEB last night but didn\'t pack enough fuel for the return and only realized that after I left the munar surface and entered Kerbin\'s gravity well. I had enough fuel to circularize their orbit at 6 million meters above the surface. I was going to rescue them by bringing another craft up, but I had a few problems. The game kept spawning the rescue craft with another BILL, BOB, and JEB and every time I try to empty the capsule on the launch pad, they plummet to their death with a sickening poof! Killing Bill, BOB, and JEB their would also kill the BILL, BOB, and JEB that\'s stuck in orbit. I then tried to edit my save file to right the situation as I needed. I added a new crew and placed them in the rescue capsule in place of BILL, BOB, and JEB. But when I went back in game, all my ships were gone, so I could not save BILL, BOB, and JEB. Yeah, challenge fail :(

Know what? This gave me an idea after reading about this challenge on how to deal with allowing spare seats for rescue missions. I was contemplating about that earlier, but reading this thread has actually got me to think on how to do it too. :D

Edit: It appears that creating miniature habitations is possible. Heck, you can even establish a miniature moonbase and walk around (or hop around)! That and true miniature space stations!

What was the idea? Was it ladders? I had a great idea about piggybacking Bill and Bob on ladders all the way, but the lack of time warp (followed by lack of attention) while on ladders led to a small mishap during reentry!

Untitled-2-1.png

They also tend to fall off a bit, so accelaration has to be gentle. Switching often back to keep them properly perched seems to help. Here\'s a nice one of Bill making his way back after slipping away.

Untitled-3-2.png

This was the first thing I did the moment I got 0.16 - find out if crew transfers were possible.

I also happened to record it!

only transfered one member, but then only used a single man capsule and a 3 man capsule, primarily to see what differences would occur. was a good experiment!

I recommend to anyone to try. Once you work it out, Rendevous isn\'t actually that hard (I know, doesn\'t sound true, I failed my attempts in 0.15... its about the technique!)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.