Kerbal T-shirts and similar stuff

11of10

I've found here a very nice picture, and I was wondering what are the odds of it ending up on a KSP T-shirt, and if I would be violating any rights if I just printed it myself.

Also, does the money from selling existing stuff (shirts, hoodies, coffee cups (I've gotta get me one!)) and similar stuff go to Squad at least in some part?

If you printed it yourself, I don't think that would be a problem, so long as you don't sell it.

I imagine that all the KerbalTM memorabilia sales have some contribution to Squad's bottom line, too.

But I am neither a lawyer nor part of Squad, so you might want to check with someone else.

Better question is- would Squad let a private individual sell Kerbal materials with their permission and if they got say 75% of the income from said merchandise? Ofc legal stuff would have to be done as well, but we can assume anyone with the knowhow would likely be able to manage any legalities.

49 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Better question is- would Squad let a private individual sell Kerbal materials with their permission and if they got say 75% of the income from said merchandise? Ofc legal stuff would have to be done as well, but we can assume anyone with the knowhow would likely be able to manage any legalities.

lolnope.

Squad has a copyright on Kerbals, and legalities are much more complicated than you think. Fair-use law, though, means that you can use the trademark for your own stuff, so long as you are not making a profit off of it. And besides, Squad seems to already have an agreement worked out with a manufacturing company, which may mean exclusive rights.

12 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

lolnope.

Squad has a copyright on Kerbals, and legalities are much more complicated than you think. Fair-use law, though, means that you can use the trademark for your own stuff, so long as you are not making a profit off of it. And besides, Squad seems to already have an agreement worked out with a manufacturing company, which may mean exclusive rights.

I would hope they would be a bit willing to work with others if they showed serious promise.

I know it's their product and their baby... They wouldn't want to see it get hurt.

1 minute ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I would hope they would be a bit willing to work with others if they showed serious promise.

Well, yeah, but a private individual won't have the equipment necessary to print things on a large-enough scale to show serious promise.

1 minute ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I know it's their product and their baby... They wouldn't want to see it get hurt.

Exactly.

There are plenty of "product on demand" sites that print everything from coffee cups to t-shirts that could easily do this. Squad would simply go in, provide a set of core images and sayings, then allow the end user to purchase third-party from the site.

The items are printed on-demand, there is no minimum order, and Squad is not required to maintain some large and over-burdensome inventory. As each item is purchased, the cost and shipping is backed out, and whatever remains is usually split 70/30, with 30% going back to Squad. 

Here's one such company but there are literally hundreds... www.cafepress.com

Edit:

Unbenownst to me, it appears that someone from @SQUAD has already done this. There is actually merchandise already on the site I mentioned above...

kerbin_ksp_mugs.jpg?side=Back&color=Whit  kids_dark_tshirt.jpg?color=Black&height=

Now as a disclaimer:

This is not an endorsement for cafepress. I am just aware of them because I have used them in the past.

Edited by adsii1970

Unfortunally we cannot endorse unofficial merchandise. As most companies, we do care about how our brand and its elements are used, and therefore we can't give you our approval for this. Nevertheless we are planning to expand our merchandise offering and we could review the possibility of using a similar design in the future.

On 9/16/2016 at 11:12 AM, Dman979 said:

Squad has a copyright on Kerbals, and legalities are much more complicated than you think. 

Exactly! I had a couple people ask about publishing Emiko Station, and I think @Kuzzter had the same discussion on one of his stories, and it comes down to the same thing, legality. Sure, it would be awesome, but while the story is mine, I don't own the rights to KSP itself, and this could open up a big ol' can of worms I don't want to even think about.

Oh, and it looks like @UomoCapra just ninja'd me... or I ninja'd him... I'm not sure how the ninja thing really works...

Sorry for a late reply gang, I was only interested in getting that kind of T-shirt for myself, since nobody else of my friends is really interrested in KSP, I didn't intend to make any profit on it myself. What I was wondering is how could I get it, and if it would violate anyones copyright, for instance the guy who first posted it and (I'm guessing) made it, or Squads, or both. 

32 minutes ago, 11of10 said:

Sorry for a late reply gang, I was only interested in getting that kind of T-shirt for myself, since nobody else of my friends is really interrested in KSP, I didn't intend to make any profit on it myself. What I was wondering is how could I get it, and if it would violate anyones copyright, for instance the guy who first posted it and (I'm guessing) made it, or Squads, or both. 

If you're just making one for yourself, and not selling them, then I don't think it violates any copyright laws. Copyright is mostly to prevent someone profiting unfairly from another persons work.

As for making one, I'm fairly sure they still make iron-on paper for printers. You print whatever pic you want, and then iron it on a T-shirt. Not as nice as a professional silk screen job, but it's an option.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.