[KSP 1.3.1] Bon Voyage 0.13.2.1 - Make your wheels rolling! 2017-10-15

RealGecko

On 8/17/2017 at 0:49 AM, maja said:

There are other mods, like MechJeb, which can navigate rovers to waypoints in flight scene. The goal of the BonVoyage is to be able to do some other flights and let it handle more rovers at once.

The rovers aren't moving that rapidly. There is a speed limit imposed by maximum speed of wheels, manned vs unmanned rover, day or night and available electrical power. If I'm driving rovers, I can reach higher top speed then BV. Until I hit some ledge and went flying.

Yeah, but MechJeb Rover Autopilot + 4x acceleration = rover parts scattered over the planet.  But even if it worked, 4x time acceleration isn't very fast.

True, you can switch to another vehicle, but when you're transiting from Kerbal to Minmus, you often time accelerate that without switching vessels, right?  Sometimes I just want that continuous mission experience.

7 hours ago, NermNermNerm said:

Yeah, but MechJeb Rover Autopilot + 4x acceleration = rover parts scattered over the planet.  But even if it worked, 4x time acceleration isn't very fast.

True, you can switch to another vehicle, but when you're transiting from Kerbal to Minmus, you often time accelerate that without switching vessels, right?  Sometimes I just want that continuous mission experience.

I'm more a mission planner then a pilot with my playstyle. There are a lot of other things to do during one trip to the Minmus.

I can't help you with this. If you want that continuous experince, then you must use autopilot or drive it yourself.

On 8/11/2017 at 6:38 PM, maja said:

Unofficial release 0.12.0.32

Change list:

• Only for KSP 1.3
  • Fix for a rover burried in the ground
  • Wild Blue Industries reactors support

Download: Version 0.12.0.32 for KSP 1.3

All previous releases and full change log are here: https://github.com/jarosm/KSP-BonVoyage/releases

I started a new career in KSP 1.3. This means, that I'm stopping support of my version of BV for KSP 1.2.2 and from now on there will be only new versions for 1.3. If I find something that I need to fix (or you reported it :wink: ). There is the last unofficial prerelease version of BV for 1.2.2 which has fixed rover height over terrain. You can use it without worries.

Getting rapid exceptions with this version, seems to be related with TAC-LS's background stuff excrementsting itself?

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at BackgroundResources.UnloadedResources.ProcessInterestedModules (BackgroundResources.InterestedVessel vessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at BackgroundResources.UnloadedResources.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
Edited by Crimor

3 hours ago, Crimor said:

Getting rapid exceptions with this version, seems to be related with TAC-LS's background stuff excrementsting itself?

Can't do anything without a log. I don't see, where this can clash with TAC-LS, but anything is possible.

Yep! Spawned a rover exactly on a sharp edge on the mun an instantly falling into the nothing 1500m below. :o:D I know, that visibility on the moon is reported to be quite different, especially in judging distances. But man, didn't really believe this could be implemented in BV, too! :cool:

No, just kidding. and after 54x F9 the rover is still well ... :wink:

Cheers

SchrottBot

1 hour ago, maja said:

Can't do anything without a log. I don't see, where this can clash with TAC-LS, but anything is possible.

Didn't see much in the log worth sending other than that, it should be easily reproducable by making a manned rover at ksc, setting a destination, and as soon as you go out of the scene, it starts excrementsting itself to the point where most menu buttons don't even work anymore.

My guess is that it's with how TAC-LS changes resources for life support colliding hardcore with what you're using to move the ship on the map.

Edited by Crimor

2 hours ago, SchrottBot said:

Yep! Spawned a rover exactly on a sharp edge on the mun an instantly falling into the nothing 1500m below. :o:D I know, that visibility on the moon is reported to be quite different, especially in judging distances. But man, didn't really believe this could be implemented in BV, too! :cool:

Cheers

SchrottBot

Happened to me also. Hack gravity and gently land :wink:

Yes, this one needs to be addressed.

Edited by maja

3 hours ago, SchrottBot said:

Cheers

SchrottBot

Mine had jump-rockets still attached.  Original purpose was for landing it on the Mun, but they come in useful for emergencies like this.  :wink:

2 hours ago, Crimor said:

Didn't see much in the log worth sending other than that, it should be easily reproducable by making a manned rover at ksc, setting a destination, and as soon as you go out of the scene, it starts excrementsting itself to the point where most menu buttons don't even work anymore.

My guess is that it's with how TAC-LS changes resources for life support colliding hardcore with what you're using to move the ship on the map.

I went to such lengths that I tested earlier versions of TAC-LS with the latest version of BonVoyage and result is, that it's something in TAC-LS from version 0.13.4. I tested even BV with the latest Kerbalism, which has also background processing, and it's working without errors. Try to raise this issue in TAC-LS thread and ask @JPLRepo about it. What's causing it is the update of the position of a vessel  ( this line: vessel.protoVessel = new ProtoVessel(vesselConfigNode, HighLogic.CurrentGame) ), but I don't know other way how to do it.

BTW: It's not my code, I just did few fixes :wink:

Edited by maja

Yea, I know, Alt+F12 an your ready to go. Unfortunately Solar panels and antennas break anyway. But, hey, it was fun trying to get it down in one piece. was a tough ride. (For emergency I had the option to go back to a backed up persistent.sfs. First thing to do on such occasions :cool:)

1 hour ago, maja said:

I went to such lengths that I tested earlier versions of TAC-LS with the latest version of BonVoyage and result is, that it's something in TAC-LS from version 0.13.4. I tested even BV with the latest Kerbalism, which has also background processing, and it's working without errors. Try to raise this issue in TAC-LS thread and ask @JPLRepo about it. What's causing it is the update of the position of a vessel  ( this line: vessel.protoVessel = new ProtoVessel(vesselConfigNode, HighLogic.CurrentGame) ), but I don't know other way how to do it.

BTW: It's not my code, I just did few fixes :wink:

Pretty simple really. Looking at the code, yep. This mod is recreating protoVessel's which ends in instant sadness and tears.

On ‎20‎.‎08‎.‎2017 at 11:06 PM, maja said:

For the time being, BonVoyage is incompatible with the latest version of TAC-LS. I'm looking into it.

Copy that, thanks for the heads-up.

I guess I ran into something odd. Here's the scenario:

1. I run rovers for gathering science on some celestial bodies. Nothing too fancy. The rover from biome to biome using BV, gather science until their goo pods etc. are full.

2. I sent up a lander, landing close (300 - 400 m) to the rover.

3. The rover is (manually) driven directly to the lander.

4. Kerbals on EVA take science, restore the pods and update the rover if needed

5. I switch to the rover an send it via BV to the next mission.

6. Switching back to the lander, Kerbals pack up and fly home with lots of science.

What happens is that after a while, I get notified by BV that the rover has arrived, but ist has not gone to the new mission waypoint, but to the one is was in step 2. Further, all changes are completely undone i.e. the pods are not restored anymore, science returns magically (though it is still present in the departed lander) and even removed part / added experiments / sensors that had been change during EVA.

The first time I removed some experiments and added new ones using KAS/KIS. I thought that might be an incompatibility issue or saving glitch. but yesterday I just took science from, and restored goo pods an material bays, so that should be pretty stock. Same issue.

Has anybody else had this in the past?

I would like to know if this behaviour is reproduceable elsewhere.

Cheers

SchrottBot

1 hour ago, SchrottBot said:

What happens is that after a while, I get notified by BV that the rover has arrived, but ist has not gone to the new mission waypoint, but to the one is was in step 2. Further, all changes are completely undone i.e. the pods are not restored anymore, science returns magically (though it is still present in the departed lander) and even removed part / added experiments / sensors that had been change during EVA.

The first time I removed some experiments and added new ones using KAS/KIS. I thought that might be an incompatibility issue or saving glitch. but yesterday I just took science from, and restored goo pods an material bays, so that should be pretty stock. Same issue.

Has anybody else had this in the past?

I would like to know if this behaviour is reproduceable elsewhere.

Actually yes: I've seen similar behavior, and we discussed it a bit earlier in the thread.  The important step in this case is your step 6, where you switch away from the rover to another vehicle within physics range, and then leave physics range in that vehicle, instead of by switching away.  That seems to mess BV up.  To work around, either launch the lander before setting up BV on the rover, or leave and wait for the rover to rover to move out of the local area before coming back to launch the lander.

3 hours ago, DStaal said:

Actually yes: I've seen similar behavior, and we discussed it a bit earlier in the thread.  The important step in this case is your step 6, where you switch away from the rover to another vehicle within physics range, and then leave physics range in that vehicle, instead of by switching away.  That seems to mess BV up.  To work around, either launch the lander before setting up BV on the rover, or leave and wait for the rover to rover to move out of the local area before coming back to launch the lander.

Thanks :( I need to sleep, not to go through code in my head and search for a solution :D

2 hours ago, DStaal said:

Ah, well, I couldn't find that when I browsed backwards in the thread. I should get better glasses, i guess :confused:.

Anyway, I did some testing meanwhile, and it looks like the vessel (i.e. the rover) has to be unloaded in any way before clicking Poehali! That is:

Case A: Landing close to rover - modify rover - set new course - Poehali! - leave = rover will be reset

Case B: Landing close to rover - modify rover - change scene - set new course - Poehali! - leave = nothing bad happens

With "change scene" can either be one vessel leaving physics range, switching out of physics range or save & reload.

Pretty much the thing you just posted, DStaal.

I'll continue testing around an throwing out any mods for that purpose but with the recent issue with TAC-LS I got the notion, it might have something to do with that proto-vessel thingy ... As said, just a notion, as my technical knowledge has be buried since centuries. =) I just could imagine, flushing a buffer or anything like this could help, but really only chrystal balling here. =)

By the way, maja, it's not game breaking, so have  a nap, a good cup of coffee afterwards & a sunny day with friends / family. The workaround ... well ... works. =)

Cheers

SchrottBot

12 hours ago, SchrottBot said:

By the way, maja, it's not game breaking, so have  a nap, a good cup of coffee afterwards & a sunny day with friends / family. The workaround ... well ... works. =)

Don't worry. I have sun, sea, no computer and a lot of free time to ponder about other than work things :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a BV unit on a rover, it's activated, I used the control panel to set a target, I hit the Poehali button, and in big letters it says Bon Voyage control lock active but.... nothing happens. Rover does not move. I've let it sit there for several minutes, nothing. What stupid thing am I doing/forgetting? If you think it's a bug, I 'll pull the logs but first guess is user error. Thanks in advance.

If it helps, this is what I see:

ZxhltTAl.png

Edited by vossiewulf

Well, rovers are very shy when using BV, so they only move if you don't look at them. =) Seriously, BV only simulates the movement of rovers in the background and not while in physics range. Just switch to another ship or KSC and you'll see the rovers movement in the BV control panel telemetry. You'll also get a notification as soon as the destination is reached. You will not see it actually moving in flight scene.

@vossiewulf As @SchrottBot said. Switch to another vessel or scene and wait for a message, that rover arrived at a target. You can also check automatic dewarp button on the main panel. When a rover arrives, then warp is automatically canceled.

For all: I'm back from the vacation and doing bugfixing again :)

Edited by maja

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.