[KSP 1.3.1] Bon Voyage 0.13.2.1 - Make your wheels rolling! 2017-10-15

RealGecko

10 hours ago, Why_shouldnt_horses_fly said:

Could I...

Use BV and Burn Together to get a fleet of rovers across Kerbin?

As in put an active BV module on the BT leader :wink: 

Nope, BT makes nearby vessel repeat leader commands in real time. BV drives rovers in background.

7 hours ago, SpaceBadger007 said:

so with this mod, I could set my rover to travel somewhere, then leave it and say go to the VAB and do a completely different mission, then when I feel like it, go to the tracking station and the rover will still be rolling to the destination?! 

Yep, you're right.

2 minutes ago, SpaceBadger007 said:

So I had a play around with it and it wouldent work, came up with something about power even thought it had a full batterie of 750, is that not enough?

Battery capacity means nothing, it's your power production that matters. Reread How it works section in OP.

So when ever I try to get the rover to rove with this mod, it says there's a problem with power production, even though the solar panels are facing the sun, producing power. Could there be a problem with IR, as the panels are attached to hinges. Here is the mission of getting the rover to mars, and the rover photos are the last ones. http://imgur.com/a/jjb9l

Version 0.10.0 is here:

• Fixed BV controller part being not in Control tab
  • Shut down wheels are not treated as power consumers
  • At least two wheels must be on to start BV
  • Fixed utilites not being shown
  • Added "Calculate average speed" and "Calculate power requirement" utilities
  • Power production requirement diminished to 35% of powered wheels max
  • Average speed now varies according to number of wheels on: 2 wheels - 50% of wheels' max speed, 4 wheels - 60%, 6 and more - 70%
  • Rovers driven away from KSC by BV are not treated as landed at runway or launchpad anymore
11 hours ago, SpaceBadger007 said:

So when ever I try to get the rover to rove with this mod, it says there's a problem with power production, even though the solar panels are facing the sun, producing power.

Update to new version. I diminished power requirement to 35% instead of 55%. You now can also disable some of your wheels, so your power requirement will be lower, but your average speed will be lower too. You can use utilities in BV right click menu to see how much you produce and how much you require.

Version 0.10.1 released:

• Fixed control lock being applied to next switched vessel
  • Moved "Bon Voyage control lock active" message higher on screen
  • SAS is blocked by control lock too
  • Path markers displayed at correct positions
  • Fixed trying to build path to target closer than 1000 meters
  • Fixed "yet to travel" distance for rovers awaiting sunlight being incorrect after scene switch
  • Current rover changes in GUI list on vessel switch
  • Fixed distance to target being incorrect if path is not staright
  • Fixed errors raised at rover journey end when no/low time acceleration
  • Fixed error switching to rover from Space Center
  • Added ARES and Puma support

zkXO062.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 16.9.2016 at 9:23 PM, RealGecko said:

If you have MM installed, then Malemute, Karibou, Buffalo, ARES and Puma cabs get BV automatically, no need to use additional part.

The .cfg for this has no

:NEEDS[MOD]

I don't know if this is a bad thing because since I don't use those I just deleted the config. I just noticed it.

4 minutes ago, colmo said:

I posted a few ideas to that thread so hope they're still useful

Unfortunately source code of Maritime Missions Pack was stored on Kerbalstuff which is dead and so I cannot access it. Maybe @Whitecat106 will resurrect the mod and reupload the source to GitHub.

Analyzing other mod's source really helped me in developing BV :)

1 minute ago, maculator said:

The .cfg for this has no

Ah, OK, now I see. I'm not the MM expert, so I'll read guidelines and add that part if necessary. However BV itself is standalone and does not need other mods to function. MM patch was provided for convenience and also to make my Malemute chasis powered science rover already deployed on the Mun usefull :D

7 minutes ago, RealGecko said:

Unfortunately source code of Maritime Missions Pack was stored on Kerbalstuff which is dead and so I cannot access it. Maybe @Whitecat106 will resurrect the mod and reupload the source to GitHub.

Analyzing other mod's source really helped me in developing BV :)

Whitecat's mod was relatively simple - it didn't do route mapping. There's nothing in his mod that yours can't also do, with a few tweaks.

E.g. Needs checks for contiguous water bodies, 'splashed' status, upright and functional engines, a minimum depth check (there's a few rivers with an annoying sandbank making them impassable from the sea).

I think what his mod did do was accurately calculate fuel expenditure.

Edited by colmo

1 minute ago, colmo said:

I think what his mod did do was accurately calculate fuel expenditure.

This part scares me :D

I spent approximately eight hours driving around (and also flying and crashing :D) various rover designs on top of every possible celestial body to figure out optimal power requirements and average movement speed. And yet I'm not satisfied with the current model. As I mentioned in OP Math section suggestions are welcome, but you must note, that BV does not process rover resources in background. It simply moves rovers around. I wanted it to be a little bit realistic, but yet not CPU hungry.
That's why it is so tricky to activate BV module :D:D:D

As long as you use a 'close-enough' approximation, I doubt anyone would mind - boats usually have a lot of fuel. Any such guestimate would ignore things like time spent to get up to speed, and speed loss due to turning.

E.g. Calculate fuel consumption of all active engines at, say, 60% throttle at sea-level ISP. and multiply by the time it is active. Figuring out speed is actually trickier - perhaps a training mode which records the speed at which the ship plateaus at full throttle (Let's not worry about cheaters slapping SRBs on to do a Volkswagon...), and thereafter use fractions of that figure? If you dock or detach payload (a submarine, cargo, a tug etc.), it might need retraining.

Edited by colmo

1 minute ago, colmo said:

Figuring out speed is actually trickier - perhaps a training mode which records the speed at which the ship plateaus at full throttle (Let's not worry about cheaters slapping SRBs on to do a Volkswagon...), and thereafter use fractions of that figure?

Yep, that's the main problem. With wheels everything is pretty simple: just use

if (wheelMotor.motorEnabled)
	powerRequired += wheelMotor.avgResRate;
maxWheelSpeed = wheelMotor.wheelSpeedMax;

And you're good to go, every wheel has maximum speed and requires electricity to run. All this methods are standard KSP API. And in case of boats it's not that easy, as there's no centralized API for boat motors and fuel.

Of course we may assume that every boat moves let's say 10 knots per hour, but that will render all kinds of jet boats useless :D

1 hour ago, RealGecko said:

Yep, that's the main problem. With wheels everything is pretty simple: just use

if (wheelMotor.motorEnabled)
	powerRequired += wheelMotor.avgResRate;
maxWheelSpeed = wheelMotor.wheelSpeedMax;

And you're good to go, every wheel has maximum speed and requires electricity to run. All this methods are standard KSP API. And in case of boats it's not that easy, as there's no centralized API for boat motors and fuel.

Of course we may assume that every boat moves let's say 10 knots per hour, but that will render all kinds of jet boats useless :D

The below references only ships/boats, nothing below would apply well to a rover scenario

I think that you are both over complicating the issue, case in point, I have a brand new shiny destroyer, I've been playing with the curves in order to get a more marine behavior from the engines, anyway as it stands, it takes in excess of 24Kkn to push 2000tonnes to 30 something meters pers sec. fine, but the issue comes when player A bolts my drives to something that weighs 200 tonnes. now the same engines will happily take the craft into orbit never mind 30 ms.

The nature of high speed vessels in KSP is to gradually climb out of the water and will if left unattended get airborne and in all likelihood destroy itself shortly after. For this reason alone you can never leave a vessel running at high speed unattended for too long, and you would be foolish to even try to guess at the consumption rates (of six 2x1mtr intake panels) or even manage them.  Fuel should be definitely left to be the players responsibility, as fuel serves a dual purpose of ballast for a lot if not most mod ships/boats and the player should know how to manage it, i doubt if the populace at large would even bother with some of the hoops we have to jump through to get ships and boats to play nice, and fuel/ballast management is just one small part

The simplest (perhaps oversimplified i grant) and most straightforward arrangement is to have a basic nav feature (i know it's not basic) and let the user set the desired speed themselves via a gui, then everything else becomes a decision for the individual. The aforementioned destroyer has already done a circumnavigation just using a small water powered RCS/bow thruster and SAS for head holding, with me just popping in between coats of paint to make sure nothing solid is on the near horizon.

In fact I'd take that right now, a simple pathfinder, or a way point based system, in which like the old MJ rover autopilot i could set go here here and here points, set the max speed and let it go. That would fulfill a need and if combined with a dash of BDAc could be very interesting indeed. 

Oh and re the Boat nav plugin source I have a copy If you'd like me to link it . (thats only  2 errors away from working (pity two of them are right over the edge of my comfort zone).

Hello @RealGecko,

I like to code an expansion for KIS/KAS and I wonder if this mod could save me a lot of work.

The idea is that a Kerbal (most likely an engineer) on EVA can ask others to join and help with heavy parts. So the right click menu of a part in reach when on EVA is supposed to offer the extra button for calling the nearest Kerbals within range of the part until they are enough to lift it.

I guess the situation is quite similar, need to move vessels while they are not the active one controlled by the player. Although Kerbals don't steer the same way as rovers do (missing the wheel control) BonVoyage seems to be not that far away.

Have you ever thought about BonVoyage controlling Kerbals? Maybe a future version could even make them walk to the next rover and use it if that fits in the route.

1 hour ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

let the user set the desired speed themselves via a gui

Yeah, pretty simple: limit the input to let's say 20 m/s and the rest is player's busines :)

1 hour ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

thats only  2 errors away from working (pity two of them are right over the edge of my comfort zone

Share your code, people may help you.

1 hour ago, Fendrin said:

So the right click menu of a part in reach when on EVA is supposed to offer the extra button for calling the nearest Kerbals within range of the part until they are enough to lift it.

Will help you :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.