[KSP 1.3.1] Bon Voyage 0.13.2.1 - Make your wheels rolling! 2017-10-15

RealGecko

Regarding the Calculation of  fuel consumption with boats, I would take a different approach. Get the ship to the right speed, sample the fuel consumption and keep that value for the entire trip unless user wants to remeasure. In real life speed increases a bit as the ship is draining it's tanks: too bad for the user, value stays the same. It may be useful to know what fuel a ship uses, for example the ships in my mods use HeavyFuelOil.

11 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

The below references only ships/boats, nothing below would apply well to a rover scenario

I think that you are both over complicating the issue, case in point, I have a brand new shiny destroyer, I've been playing with the curves in order to get a more marine behavior from the engines, anyway as it stands, it takes in excess of 24Kkn to push 2000tonnes to 30 something meters pers sec. fine, but the issue comes when player A bolts my drives to something that weighs 200 tonnes. now the same engines will happily take the craft into orbit never mind 30 ms.

My engines have a hard limit, no science fiction speeds with my mods. Check the velocity curve in Real Ships.

7 hours ago, Azimech said:

My engines have a hard limit, no science fiction speeds with my mods. Check the velocity curve in Real Ships.

I should have known that was the place to look for elegant solutions, dl'd viewed and adopted, that should be much nicer thanks, i was going the right way just not far enough, Cheers.

Back again, having adopted the velocity curve proposed by Azimech the problem is sorted, now regardless of mass length or cargo i'm looking at an easily measurable fuel flow and consumption and fixed  speed max of around 27-29ms, 64mph 56kts, while a little fast for reality, I can certainly live with that as there's only so much fun in taking forever to get somewhere :) At those speeds the ships are pretty safe to be left alone for excessive lengths of time, and definitely a good candidate for a control speed

First of all - the mod is awesome.

But I have a suggestion, so please don't attack me :). When playing with this mod I found that its overpowering rovers in career mode. It makes gathering science very simple because of so many biomes.

But I think that could be balanced. What if the mod could calculate the average distance a rover could travel before a failure? It would also calculate the maximum and minimum speed of a rover. We could choose the % of the speed.

Here is the fun part - the faster the rover would go, more likely it is to fail after a certain distance. For example the wheels would fail and it would become much slower or simply unable to drive further (if the number of working wheels falls below 4). This would give much more realistic approach of rover's end-of-life. The rovers would still be VERY useful, but we would have to be more careful when designing them and at landing them, so they start near location where different biomes are not that far apart. And if we get too attached to a rover, we could still send an engineer to fix it :)

Thoughts? :)

(sorry for my bad english)

Edited by NoBody112

Hello everyone,

For any that require, the following link is a dropbox link to the Maritime Pack source code, note this was last build on 1.0.4 so any use of the UI will be completely broken, references to Universal time etc will have to be changed and pretty much every .dll in KSPData will need to be a reference.

I had planned when first releasing the pack to do a rover spin off but that never really became a thing due to Squads 1.0.5 buoyancy changes which ironically culled all of the water based mods and ground my work into the ground...or the sea.... I'm not bitter I swear :P But anyway please do extract whatever you can from my code, one day I may comeback to the maritime pack (had some great fun making everything) but for now I am focusing on Orbital Decay, that being said right now with University its hard to find time between the Astrophysics degree and drinking...

Maritime Source Code (With 1.0.4 compiled release)

Good luck with the mod @RealGecko and nice to hear from you @colmo, until next time,

Whitecat106 :)

14 hours ago, NoBody112 said:

When playing with this mod I found that its overpowering rovers in career mode.

Try going to pole, you'll stick there as mod BV won't drive your rover if Sun is less than 5 degrees above the horizon. Yesterday I stuck on the Mun south pole and had to drive for approximately 20 minutes over highly curvative terrain :D

And also try to drive on Kerbin, it'll take at least two days to get to the Pole and two more days to get from the Pole to deserts ,believe me, I already did this :D

14 hours ago, NoBody112 said:

Here is the fun part - the faster the rover would go, more likely it is to fail after a certain distance.

Well, that might be annoying, and I personally don't like to be annoyed by KSP. Yesterday it crashed 5 times in three hours while I was progressing my carrer and I was so angry that I wanted to tear my laptop apart :D However I can try to make this thing optional as it's done in Pathfinder mod.

Anyway, I have at least one serious bug to fix, do some code refactoring and also make some visual improvements, so any changes in gameplay mechanics won't be added soon.

1 hour ago, Whitecat106 said:

But anyway please do extract whatever you can from my code

Thanks, man! I'm really interested in your way of background processing :)

PS: my Munar Science Expedition is finally over, report will be added to OP :wink:

Yeah I understand that for people that just like to explore and move around the planet it could be an annoyance and I agree with you in that way. But as you said, if there would be an option to toggle this on/off it would be awesome for people that like challanges and reality in career mode :)

For example real-life rovers like Curiosity drove only 14 km in 5 years. Of course, that would be overkill in KSP and not fun at all. But balanced to something like 600k km (around half of equatorial circumference of mun) in 1 year would seem fun and also limit ∞ driving capability. It would also give more perspective to how big planets actually and still give purpose to multiple landings with rockets. We could have planned other launches and missions while the rover is traveling. Just like in RL :P

... Maybe this is just my crazy idea. Idk, what would other people say? :)

Edited by NoBody112

1 hour ago, NoBody112 said:

For example real-life rovers like Curiosity drove only 14 km in 5 years.

Well, real life planets are ten times larger in radius and if you remember school math course: area of a sphere = 4 Pi * sphere radius2. That means their area is 100 times bigger. Stock KSP is not a big challange to be honest :D

And of course Curiosity is barely controllable considering signal delay :)

29 minutes ago, SelectHalfling0 said:

Also, how could one make it so there is no extra part, its just integrated into command pods and probe cores?

BV module can be added to any part with MM config. However currently it won't work, as parts available for holding it are hardcoded into mod's source. That's the disadvantage of KSP API holding remote vessels data in ConfigNode and of course an issue to fix.

PS: report of my Mun mission added to the OP :D

26 minutes ago, bananashavings said:

Hey man, I was just testing it out, and I had the target set and everything, but when I clicked "Poehali!!!", a big red message popped up saying something like "Bon Voyage has taken control of rover", and then my game crashed. Here's my log if you'd like it: http://pastebin.com/DAbPMHhb

Yeeeah, my 1.1.3 installation may crash after 10 minutes of playing, assuming that it takes approximately 4-5 minutes to restart on my laptop I sometimes scream really loud using all my obscene dictionary :D:D:D

Do you have KSP.log too?

18 minutes ago, RealGecko said:

Yeeeah, my 1.1.3 installation may crash after 10 minutes of playing, assuming that it takes approximately 4-5 minutes to restart on my laptop I sometimes scream really loud using all my obscene dictionary :D:D:D

Do you have KSP.log too?

Nevermind, restarted game and it works fine now.

Edited by bananashavings

FYI,

I've noticed the mod doesn't recognize the USI nuclear reactors as power sources. When I try to get my nuclear powered Karibou rover to drive using the mod I get the message telling me the rover is under powered and to do something about it.  The rover has more power than it needs, at any speed, from the reactor.

When you get  a chance, adding these power sources would be great. Meanwhile I am just going to have to drive 6 hours by hand to pick up a desperately needed supply drop (dropped from Munar orbit using deployable airbags) that bounced a little hard and is now 75 KM downrange from my Kerbals who need that food. hehe

Seems like a great mod though, Looking forward to allowing my Kerbals to drive themselves.

Thanks

2 hours ago, virgil_182 said:

I've noticed the mod doesn't recognize the USI nuclear reactors as power sources.

Will check that.

2 hours ago, virgil_182 said:

that bounced a little hard and is now 75 KM downrange

I drove for 110 once and also 130 (65 to POI and back) another day. That's how idea of BonVoyage was born :D:D:D

2 hours ago, Enceos said:

@RealGecko Do you have an idea for the looks of the BonVoyage part? In case someone offered to model it for you.

I thought about something that look like board with old fashioned lamps on it :D

If anyone has better ideas and can model something cool, then why not?

My personal artistic skills measured in single digits, so for now I'm satisfied with accelrometer model :D

Just a think about the electrical requirements, I did a few tests wit RTGs from NFE and they didnt seem to be recognized. They generate 3ec/s and I put about 10 on a rover but it didnt want to start, whereas a single solar panel (24ec/sec) worked. But I'm unsure exactly yet if the test was all correct, I'll repost later.

I'll still concur it needs to be able to handle things like nuclear generators and such too; all my late game rovers usualy use them :wink:

9 minutes ago, DarkGod said:

Just a think about the electrical requirements, I did a few tests wit RTGs from NFE and they didnt seem to be recognized. They generate 3ec/s and I put about 10 on a rover but it didnt want to start, whereas a single solar panel (24ec/sec) worked. But I'm unsure exactly yet if the test was all correct, I'll repost later.

I'll still concur it needs to be able to handle things like nuclear generators and such too; all my late game rovers usualy use them :wink:

I use this code for detecting generators

foreach (var part in this.vessel.parts)
{
	ModuleGenerator powerModule = part.FindModuleImplementing<ModuleGenerator>();
	if (powerModule == null)
		continue;
	if (powerModule.generatorIsActive || powerModule.isAlwaysActive)
	{
//		foreach (var resource in powerModule.outputList)
		foreach (var resource in powerModule.resHandler.outputResources)
		{
			if (resource.name == "ElectricCharge")
			{
				otherPower += resource.rate * powerModule.efficiency;
			}
		}
	}
}

But there're some things that changed in 1.2, something about resource.id, it may be the cause.

Edited by RealGecko

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.