[KSP 1.3.1] Bon Voyage 0.13.2.1 - Make your wheels rolling! 2017-10-15

RealGecko

Hello, I have a little big problem with BonVoyage.
An unmanned solar powered test probe with wheels (modded-ones) is on idle for the whole time (even if sun is avaible).
I think the mistake is on my side. The testprobe stands besides the runway. It should travel at day time with a speed ov at least 4,5 m/s (Average calculated by 'Calculate average speed' = 15. Factor of control: 70% Penalty for movement speed [according to message at 'Poehali'])

- I set a target waypoint (with WaypointManager) and activate it.
- I push 'Set to active waypoint' in BonVoyage-Menue. On map-view it plots the red line path.
- I push 'Poehali' to start the BonVoyage-Mod. I tried imiditally when the red line is present and I tried afterwards.
- I go to the trackingstation and open the BonVoyage-menue. Local time updates but the status is 'idle' for the whole day.

Mods I've installed regarding rover-movement
- 'Wheel Colection' I use the 'small rover wheels' on the test probe.
- 'Wheel sounds'
- 'KSP-Wheel'
-'Kerbal Foundries'

Mods installed reagerding rover-management
- "Part Comander Continued"
- "Kerbalism"
- "Rover Sience"
- "Waypoint Manager"

There are other mods, but they shouldn't interfere with rover-movement or rover-management.

Thanks for advice.

Edited by PieBue

@RealGecko First of all let me say thanks for awesome mod I really appreciate all your hard work. Is there a way to disable biom info when in the map view? I have not scanned the planet for biom info and it feels like I am cheating being able to wave the mouse around and gain the info. If not I will refrain from using until I scan, No big deal. Thanks again

2 hours ago, Rocket88 said:

@RealGecko First of all let me say thanks for awesome mod I really appreciate all your hard work. Is there a way to disable biom info when in the map view? I have not scanned the planet for biom info and it feels like I am cheating being able to wave the mouse around and gain the info. If not I will refrain from using until I scan, No big deal. Thanks again

I'll see what can be done.

This is awesome! Finally a reason to use Rovers in KSP. Thanks for that, @RealGecko!

Also, is resource usage calculated in the background? For example LFO or Enriched Uranium usage for reactors and fuel cells? Sorry if this has been answered before, I admit I haven't read the entire thread.:blush:

11 hours ago, Zoidos said:

This is awesome! Finally a reason to use Rovers in KSP. Thanks for that, @RealGecko!

Also, is resource usage calculated in the background? For example LFO or Enriched Uranium usage for reactors and fuel cells? Sorry if this has been answered before, I admit I haven't read the entire thread.:blush:

No resource processing done in background, but fuel cells are not considered as power source, unless I missed something during development, also I think uranium is processed in background by NFE and USI.

5 hours ago, RealGecko said:

No resource processing done in background, but fuel cells are not considered as power source, unless I missed something during development, also I think uranium is processed in background by NFE and USI.

Ok, thanks!

On 30.12.2016 at 8:20 AM, RealGecko said:

What if you try stock wheels?

Now I tried it in 'Sand Box'. At the module stands: inactive (even after bohai). When I go to Bon-Voyage-overview in KSP-Window there stands: idle. So not working.

Two problems and a feature request:

1)  I was attempting to pick a target on the map--and clicked on the toolbar menu (I was attempting to call up the biome map from ScanSat) and it hung KSP.

2)  I can see why you have the 10 second timeout in FindPath.  This is going to be O(n^2) on distance, it could get brutal for long trips.  Any way to let us provide some hints?  Say, shift-click a string of points we believe would comprise a reasonable path, instead of one big solve it attempts to go from point to point, discarding any points that turn out to be unreachable.

2a)  I'm puzzled at the need for all the floating point distance math (while I haven't even tried to compile it let alone profile it I wouldn't be one bit surprised at GetUtils.GetDistance being a big chunk of the time) in calculating a path.  Would you not get the same result if you simply counted the number of tiles from the origin?  While you're looking for the optimum path you don't care what the real distance is, only that you have found the shortest one.

Would not the FindPath routine be a lot faster if you added a field to the Tile record for how far from the origin it is, init these all to a flag value, then start from the origin with a simple queue, if a tile hasn't been visited you note it as being visited at the current distance and you enqueue all the neighbors you can reach, each to be at distance + 1.  (Your queue would have a structure of a tile & depth.)  When you find your target tile you read backwards through the map, you came from the tile with a count one less than the current count, repeat until you walk back to the origin.  There's no need of a priority queue as a simple queue resolves them in order of priority.

Feature request:  Dewarp on arrival.

16 hours ago, SmashBrown said:

Do you happen to have plans to make the same functionality for planes? I do find flying for 1hr on kerbin to reach a point rather tedious.

You can use AtmosphereAutopilot for that, and it allows warping to x4 without any problems while flying (which really save time !)

Edited by Nago

On 11.01.2017 at 11:55 AM, Loren Pechtel said:

Two problems and a feature request:

1) Need log.

2) In to do list, "Path building chunks" entry

2a) A* is the fastest path finding algorithm created long time ago. The problem of it being applied to KSP is that you don't have initial hex grid, that has to be created on the fly according to initial and target coordinates that vary, but it works on every celestial.

I tried to reduce the number of math operations by for example trying to get rid of degrees and stick only to radians, but it did not show any performance increase.

There's a potential performance increase by using Cartesian coordinates instead of lat/lon pairs, but it all requires time to implement and test, with no guarantee of luck.

So if you can improve things, PRs are welcome.

I'm currently really unsatisfied with the way pathfinding works, I want to reduce pathfinding step to 500m, so found path will be more precise, but it will dramatically increase pathfinding time. So the best option is to add possibility to create route in chunks, like this:

1. Click point A
  2. Path found between starting point and point A and saved
  3. Click point B somewhere else
  4. Path found between A and B and added to existing one
  5. Repeat again and again
  6. ?????
  7. PROFIT!!!111oneoneone

I also want to use lz-string for path compression, so it won't take as much space in save file.

Many things are still to improve, the only problem is spare time, that I currently do not have.

3 hours ago, RealGecko said:

1) Need log.

2) In to do list, "Path building chunks" entry

2a) A* is the fastest path finding algorithm created long time ago. The problem of it being applied to KSP is that you don't have initial hex grid, that has to be created on the fly according to initial and target coordinates that vary, but it works on every celestial.

I tried to reduce the number of math operations by for example trying to get rid of degrees and stick only to radians, but it did not show any performance increase.

There's a potential performance increase by using Cartesian coordinates instead of lat/lon pairs, but it all requires time to implement and test, with no guarantee of luck.

So if you can improve things, PRs are welcome.

I'm currently really unsatisfied with the way pathfinding works, I want to reduce pathfinding step to 500m, so found path will be more precise, but it will dramatically increase pathfinding time. So the best option is to add possibility to create route in chunks, like this:

1. Click point A
  2. Path found between starting point and point A and saved
  3. Click point B somewhere else
  4. Path found between A and B and added to existing one
  5. Repeat again and again
  6. ?????
  7. PROFIT!!!111oneoneone

I also want to use lz-string for path compression, so it won't take as much space in save file.

Many things are still to improve, the only problem is spare time, that I currently do not have.

Yeah, it's the A* algorithm, AFIAK the second fastest solution (faster is to do a simultaneous A* from both ends and stop when they meet--2 * (n/2)^2 vs n^2).  What I was questioning is the distance calculations, I don't see that they are needed while running A*.  Since I see nothing that weights tiles a simple count of the tiles crossed should be enough.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.