[KSP 1.3.1] Bon Voyage 0.13.2.1 - Make your wheels rolling! 2017-10-15

RealGecko

16 minutes ago, Brent Kerman said:

I'm looking for better than Mechjeb, I mean, he cant see hills, water, etc., but this appears that I can't sit in IVA and watch for interesting sites as I (MOD) drive.

There is no such mod. Believe me I looked hard before I started BV development :D (and I overlooked Autorove :D:D:D)

MechJeb rover autopilot has an option to build routes with the set of waypoints, but this does not guarantee safe voyage as even a single crack in the ground may send your rover into orbit. And that's not only the problem of MechJeb, cause even if you drive your rover manually you may end in a situation like this. Driving faster than 20m/s on top of The Mun is a suicide mission. I tried that twice: once 110 kilometers, second time 65 kilomters to navpoint and back to base (130 in total :confused:). Each voyage took 2-2.5 hours of real time with countless amount of quickloads. That was booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring.

Such a big areas to cover make rovers completely useless as now I can drive no more than for 15 minutes. BV solves that problem for me. It tries to be as less CPU consuming as possible while still tries to keep some sense of realism.

5 minutes ago, RealGecko said:

There is no such mod. Believe me I looked hard before I started BV development :D (and I overlooked Autorove :D:D:D)

MechJeb rover autopilot has an option to build routes with the set of waypoints, but this does not guarantee safe voyage as even a single crack in the ground may send your rover into orbit. And that's not only the problem of MechJeb, cause even if you drive your rover manually you may end in a situation like this. Driving faster than 20m/s on top of The Mun is a suicide mission. I tried that twice: once 110 kilometers, second time 65 kilomters to navpoint and back to base (130 in total :confused:). Each voyage took 2-2.5 hours of real time with countless amount of quickloads. That was booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring.

Such a big areas to cover make rovers completely useless as now I can drive no more than for 15 minutes. BV solves that problem for me. It tries to be as less CPU consuming as possible while still tries to keep some sense of realism.

I did not know about Mechjeb using waypoints, that will help, I'm always there and can take control in case of a problem. It appears 1.2.9 fixed the cracks. YAY!

Waiting for mods to update.....

Hey @RealGecko,

Spoiler

Having been alerted that BV's patch notes list KSPWheel compatibility, I thought I'd give it a try with some wheels from Kerbal Foundries, but...

wOrWH9A.jpg

Basically it does nothing. All it ever says is "Path build" but it doesn't seem to think there's any power required, or an average speed, etc.

Swapping the wheels to stock works fine :)

Am I being massively obtuse, or is something amiss? ^^;

Edit; I'm being obtuse. I had an outdated Kerbal Foundries. Working fine with latest. Original post spoilered for posterity. Sorry for the mis report and thanks for the improvements to BV :)

Edited by eddiew

On 3/23/2017 at 9:23 PM, Loren Pechtel said:

What is this abomination you did with the menu?!?!

For those who aren't seeing what I'm talking about:

Bon%20Voyage%20Abomination.PNG

This is what I get from "Pick target on map" with the latest update.  You can drag the offending box out of the way and pick the target but the box shouldn't be there in the first place when you're picking the target.  It also doesn't look nearly as good as how it used to work.

(This is on Ike, biome "cheat" turned on as I have complete ScanSat biome maps.)

Field report time...

Pros:

-Works really well over short-to-medium ranges on Kerbin

-relatively hassle-free

-amazing real-time saver

Cons:

-Doesn't work well on Kerbin on complex routes over long distances

-Doesn't recognize Wild Blue Industries fusion reactors as a valid power source

All in all, a permanent addition to my installs. Thanks for the awesome mod!

16 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Field report time...
Cons:

-Doesn't work well on Kerbin on complex routes over long distances

Agreed, but you can get there in multiple hops.  If it truly won't go somewhere check the terrain--it's impassible.  There are spots that look fine from a distance but up close are clearly out of the question.  Especially beware of the biome map--Kerbin has a lot of "shores" that are underwater.

While I haven't tried it on Eve yet I expect trouble, especially due to how much water there is there.

1 hour ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Agreed, but you can get there in multiple hops.  If it truly won't go somewhere check the terrain--it's impassible.  There are spots that look fine from a distance but up close are clearly out of the question.  Especially beware of the biome map--Kerbin has a lot of "shores" that are underwater.

While I haven't tried it on Eve yet I expect trouble, especially due to how much water there is there.

Well, it got me close enough to the North Station 1 DSN node that I could use MechJeb and manual guidance to get to the dish, as shown here. Same thing with the North Pole of Kerbin. (Don't touch the North Pole, btw. Weird excrements happens.)

14 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Well, it got me close enough to the North Station 1 DSN node that I could use MechJeb and manual guidance to get to the dish, as shown here. Same thing with the North Pole of Kerbin. (Don't touch the North Pole, btw. Weird excrements happens.)

Ahem.  :wink:

screenshot_2017-03-13--18-09-42.png

screenshot_2017-03-13--18-10-43.png

You can just make the rover out in the second pic - but it's on the platform.  There was no manual driving.  Just Bon Voyage with the help of ScanSat to pick the target.

20 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Isn't the north pole an ice sheet?  A blind man could drive there.

2 hours ago, DStaal said:

Ahem.  :wink:

screenshot_2017-03-13--18-09-42.png

screenshot_2017-03-13--18-10-43.png

You can just make the rover out in the second pic - but it's on the platform.  There was no manual driving.  Just Bon Voyage with the help of ScanSat to pick the target.

Well, every time I've headed to a precise set of coordinates, it's been off-target by ~200 meters, which on that platform is enough of an error to put me in an unrecoverable spot. It's okay, though, as I learned a lot about how that particular rover design will handle on high-angle slopes.

2 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Isn't the north pole an ice sheet?  A blind man could drive there.

Yes... but there were some issues with accuracy. Again, a CEP of ~200 meters was demonstrated. And you REALLY don't want to wind up on the Pole exactly... You might invite the Kraken to arrive and investigate who's messing with the planetary surface colliders again. It's some weird stuff up there, if you wish to explore it. Be VERY careful.

6 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Well, every time I've headed to a precise set of coordinates, it's been off-target by ~200 meters, which on that platform is enough of an error to put me in an unrecoverable spot. It's okay, though, as I learned a lot about how that particular rover design will handle on high-angle slopes.

Yes... but there were some issues with accuracy. Again, a CEP of ~200 meters was demonstrated. And you REALLY don't want to wind up on the Pole exactly... You might invite the Kraken to arrive and investigate who's messing with the planetary surface colliders again. It's some weird stuff up there, if you wish to explore it. Be VERY careful.

Bon Voyage I believe has an accuracy limit in it's navigation.  You certainly have an accuracy limit in clicking the map.

And it's not just the north pole.  I blew up on Ike from something wonky with the surface.  I switched to my rover  that had arrived and found myself underground.  Huh??  I switched to ASL and compared my position to what Basic Orbit said was the surface--I was sitting on the ground, I wasn't underground.  I tried to land here with Hyperedit, kaboom.  Next time I'll try to figure out my coordinates and land at the coordinates.  F9 time.

1 hour ago, MaverickSawyer said:

I'll admit I got lucky.  And you'll notice the extended landing gear pointing upwards - that's a rollover recovery feature.  (And the folded up wheels are uneven terrain recovery features.)  Between the two, as long as Bon Voyage doesn't put me half-off a cliff I should be able to recover from most situations.  (The rover's intent is to be a recover and redeploy for a grand tour of the OPM system.  Reliability needs to be bullet-proof.  The above is a test design that's being sent to find Kerbin's anomalies.  There have been revisions to improve the design since.)

• 2 weeks later...

Having some issue or other with my Mun rover - having completed a journey with BV (without issue), I re-docked used KAS to connect to a base to transfer supplies, un-docked and attempted to set a new course for the north pole.
BV seems to be happy with my wheels and EC production, and it builds a path ok, but when I click "Bon Voyage" I get a "Bon Voyage!" in green on the screen but no "Control lock active" message, and the rover shows as "idle" in the BV control panel.
Am I missing something in the latest version? I don't recall having this issue in the previous one...

Inspecting the log reveals this output from BV:

Exception handling event onNewGameLevelLoadRequestWasSanctionedAndActioned in class BonVoyage:System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
  at BonVoyage.LZString.decompressFromBase64 (System.String input) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename: /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
  at BonVoyage.LZString.decompressFromBase64 (System.String input) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
EventData`1:Fire(GameScenes)
:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

I have a fair few other mods installed, and many of them have new, untested (by me) updates as I haven't played KSP in a while.
Thoughts?

Ed: If I go back to the Tracking Station, this rover doesn't show up in the BV control panel at all - the vehicle in question is a fairly basic Malemute, if it matters.

Ed.2: The error mentioned occurs at game load, on entering the space centre scene.
Mods:

Spoiler

[x] Science! (xScience v5.6)
Additional Progression Contracts (AdditionalProgressionContracts 1.1)
AT Utils (AT-Utils v1.4.2)
B9 Part Switch (B9PartSwitch v1.7.1)
BahamutoD Animation Modules (BDAnimationModules 1:v0.6.4.4)
BonVoyage (BonVoyage 0.12.0)
Cetera's Suit Mod (Ceteras-Suit-Pack 0.4.2)
Coherent Contracts (CoherentContracts 1.02)
Color Coded Canisters (ColorCodedCans 1.5.1)
Community Category Kit (CommunityCategoryKit 1.2.2.0)
Community Resource Pack (CommunityResourcePack 0.6.6.0)
Community Tech Tree (CommunityTechTree 1:3.0.3)
Configurable Containers Core (ConfigurableContainers-Core 2.4.0.5)
Contract Configurator (ContractConfigurator 1.22.2)
Contract Pack: Bases and Stations (ContractConfigurator-KerbinSpaceStation 1:3.6)
Contract Pack: Clever Sats (ContractConfigurator-CleverSats 1.4)
Contract Pack: Field Research (ContractConfigurator-FieldResearch 1.2.0)
Contract Pack: Interplanetary Mountaineer (ContractConfigurator-InterplanetaryMountaineer 1.1.2)
Contract Pack: Kerbal Academy (ContractConfigurator-KerbalAcademy 1.1.6)
Contract Pack: Tourism Plus (ContractConfigurator-Tourism 1.5.2)
Dated QuickSaves (DatedQuickSaves 1.1.3)
DMagic Orbital Science (DMagicOrbitalScience 1.3.8)
DMModuleScienceAnimateGeneric (DMagicScienceAnimate v0.16)
Editor Extensions Redux (EditorExtensionsRedux 3.3.12)
Environmental Visual Enhancements (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 2:EVE-1.2-2)
EVA Enhancements Continued (EVAEnhancementsContinued 0.1.8)
Firespitter Core (FirespitterCore v7.5.1)
Firespitter Resources config (FirespitterResourcesConfig v7.5.1)
Fuel Tanks Plus (FuelTanksPlus 1.12)
Ground Construction Core (GroundConstruction-Core 1.1.2.1)
Heat Control (HeatControl 0.3.4)
Hide Empty Tech Tree Nodes (HideEmptyTechNodes 0.7.4)
Interstellar Fuel Switch Core (InterstellarFuelSwitch-Core 2.4.6)
KEI (KEI 1.2.1)
Kerbal Aircraft Expansion (KerbalAircraftExpansion 3:v2.6.4)
Kerbal Alarm Clock (KerbalAlarmClock v3.8.4.0)
Kerbal Attachment System (KAS 0.6.2.0)
Kerbal Inventory System (KIS 1.4.3)
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement (KerbalJointReinforcement v3.3.1)
KerbNet Controller (KerbnetController 2.1)
Konstruction (Konstruction 0.1.12.0)
Kramax Autopilot Continued (KramaxAutopilotContinued 0.3.2.2)
KSP AVC (MiniAVC 1.0.3.0)
KSP AVC (KSP-AVC 1.1.6.2)
KSP Rescue Pod Fix (KSPRescuePodFix 1.0.0.6)
Lights Out (LightsOut v0.2.0)
Lithobrake Exploration Technologies (LithobrakeExplorationTechnologies 0.4)
MagiCore (MagiCore 1.1.3)
Malemute Rover (MalemuteRover 0.2.8.0)
MechJeb 2 (MechJeb2 2.6.0.0)
MemGraph (MemGraph Release_1.1.0.3)
Mk1-Cabin-Hatch (Mk1CabinHatch 0.2.0)
Mk2 Stockalike Expansion (Mk2Expansion 1:1.7.35)
Mk3 Stockalike Expansion (Mk3Expansion 1.3)
Modular Rocket Systems LITE (ModularRocketSystemsLITE 1.13.1)
ModularFlightIntegrator (ModularFlightIntegrator 1.2.4.0)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 2.7.5)
Navball Docking Alignment Indicator CE-2 (NavballDockAlignIndCE 1.0.1.1)
Near Future Construction (NearFutureConstruction 0.7.6)
Near Future Electrical (NearFutureElectrical 0.8.7)
Near Future Electrical Core (NearFutureElectrical-Core 0.8.7)
Near Future IVA Props (NearFutureProps 0.6.3)
Near Future Propulsion (NearFuturePropulsion 0.8.7)
Near Future Solar (NearFutureSolar 0.7.2)
Near Future Solar Core (NearFutureSolar-Core 0.7.2)
Near Future Spacecraft (NearFutureSpacecraft 0.6.3)
Orbital Survey Plus (OrbitalSurveyPlus 2.3.2)
Pood's Calm Nebula Skybox (PoodsCalmNebulaSkybox 1.0.0)
Procedural Fairings (ProceduralFairings v3.20)
RCS Build Aid (RCSBuildAid v0.9.1)
RealChute Parachute Systems (RealChute v1.4.2.0)
Rover Wheel Sounds (RoverWheelSounds 2.3)
scatterer (Scatterer 2:v0.0300)
Science Relay (ScienceRelay 3.1)
Sensible Pumps Continued (SensiblePumpsCont 1.2.1)
SpaceY Expanded (SpaceY-Expanded 1.3.1)
SpaceY Heavy Lifters (SpaceY-Lifters 1.16)
StageRecovery (StageRecovery 1.7.0.0)
Stock jet Turbines resurrected (StockjetTurbinesresurrected 1.1)
Stock Visual Enhancements: Scatterer Configs (SVE-Scatterer-Config 2:1.1.6)
Stock Visual Enhancements: Sunflare (SVE-Sunflare 2:1.1.6)
Stock Visual Enhancements-High Res (SVE-HighResolution 2:1.1.6)
Stockalike Mining Extension (StockalikeMiningExtension 0.95.2)
Stockalike Station Parts Expansion (StationPartsExpansion 0.4.3)
Surface Mounted Stock-Alike Lights (surfacelights 1.3.1.0)
TakeCommandContinued (TakeCommandContinued 1.4.8)
TextureReplacer (TextureReplacer v2.5.4)
TriggerAu Flags (TriggerAu-Flags v2.9.1.0)
TrimPlus (TrimPlus 1.2.1)
Universal Storage (UniversalStorage 1.2.2.0)
USI Core (USI-Core 0.3.10.0)
USI Exploration Pack (USI-EXP 0.7.3.0)
USI Freight Transport Technologies (USI-FTT 0.6.8.0)
USI Kolonization Class Suits (USIKolClassSuits 1.1)
USI Kolonization Systems (MKS/OKS) (UKS 1:0.50.18.0)
USI Life Support (USI-LS 0.5.24.0)
USI Survival Pack (USI-SRV 0.6.3.0)
USI Tools (USITools 0.8.18.0)
Waypoint Manager (WaypointManager 2.6.2)

Log: (post loading vessel & attempting to start BV)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9u7qpv5jpt8gt2d/Player.log.gz

Ed.3: I had Jeb EVA from the vessel, then switched back to it, and now the "Control lock active" message appears and BV works normally... even after Jeb re-boards. Most curious. Guess we could call it a "transient anomaly"?

Edited by steve_v
Add logs etc.

I'm having the same issue. I have a rover on Duna and another on the Mun, and they're both set to be traveling... and then nothing shows up in bon voyage window.

Exception handling event onNewGameLevelLoadRequestWasSanctionedAndActioned in class BonVoyage:System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

<FireLoadedEvent>c__Iterator68:MoveNext()

9 hours ago, maja said:

@steve_v @westamastaflash I had this error too and pinpointed it to the planned path string in the game save file. It was probably corrupted. I planned shorter trip (around 120 km) and everything worked again.

I'm playing on a resized 10x kerbin so I bet that's what's going on. Shorter trips it is.

On 4/10/2017 at 9:38 PM, westamastaflash said:

I'm having the same issue. I have a rover on Duna and another on the Mun, and they're both set to be traveling... and then nothing shows up in bon voyage window.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

<FireLoadedEvent>c__Iterator68:MoveNext()

Apppears to be a known issue in the library that you are using for compression and encoding: https://github.com/jawa-the-hutt/lz-string-csharp/issues/6

I started looking at this. You can leverage the .NET framework's built in gzip compression(broken in unity, but I found a working version using MSFT's free code https://github.com/Hitcents/Unity.IO.Compression) and Base64 functions since you've got PC power behind you. I'll send a pull request when I get it working.

OK. so it appears to be the root culprit is that for some reason the config node GetValue is not returning the full string. Once it reaches 463 characters it just cuts it off. Best solution I think will be to create a list of compressed path entries instead of a single one.

Update. So it appears the culprit is the use of the forward slash character in Base64. the serializer seems to be interpreting it as the start of a comment when there are two in a row. Should be a simple change to modify the Base64 value to replace "/" with something else. 

Edited by westamastaflash

@RealGecko I don't know what to append to this post, I have a rover on the Mün, I let Bon Voyage rove it until my target and after waiting it appears under the surface, I just waited cause it happened to me before, but this time it won't go out and set itself in a normal position, it's just stuck. I tried HyperEdit but it destroys itself when I set an orbit or try to land somewhere. I will have not problem losing it but it contains a few Kerbals and I am running low on supplies... Please Help!!! :wink:

Edited by Deltathiago98

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.