[KSP 1.3.1] Bon Voyage 0.13.2.1 - Make your wheels rolling! 2017-10-15

RealGecko

3 hours ago, Starfire70 said:

New to this mod, trying it out. I click on 'BV Control Panel' in the Malemute cab menu or the autopilot menu or app menu...and nothing happens.

Any ideas why that would happen? I tried reloading the mod, no change. Thanks.

KSP1.3.1 64bit on Windows 10.

Logs please. I can't help without more data.

20 hours ago, Starfire70 said:

New to this mod, trying it out. I click on 'BV Control Panel' in the Malemute cab menu or the autopilot menu or app menu...and nothing happens.

Any ideas why that would happen? I tried reloading the mod, no change. Thanks.

KSP1.3.1 64bit on Windows 10.

After pressing pohaa go to ksc

16 hours ago, maja said:

Logs please. I can't help without more data.

Output.log? See link below (will expire in 24 hours).

https://dropfile.to/tar35OF

I tried enabling the control panel while watching the log but nothing changed.

I think the window is showing up off screen. I'm at 4K so there isn't really a way for me to get at it if it is. I tried looking at my save file for a position but couldn't find one.

12 minutes ago, danielboro said:

After pressing pohaa go to ksc

I'm not even getting that far. I click on BV Control Panel and the control panel window never shows up.

I have a similar problem when I tried using DMagic's Contracts Window +.

2 hours ago, Starfire70 said:

I think the window is showing up off screen. I'm at 4K so there isn't really a way for me to get at it if it is. I tried looking at my save file for a position but couldn't find one.

Position and size of the BV windows are here: GameData\BonVoyage\PluginData\BonVoyage\config.xml

Delete this file to reset to default values or look at "<rect name="rcRect">" section and edit it.

Edited by maja

Back in 1.05, I drove on the surface of Moho, Eve, Duna, Ike, Dres & Eeloo and got the science out of any biome a car could drive on.

On my current career, I have perfectly good 'hardware' sitting on the surface of all the above-mentioned bodies, except Eeloo (transfer window hasn't arrived yet), doing nothing because I simply can't find the nerve to go through this again.

Spoiler

Fw1iv7K.jpg

3PWgZqC.jpg

And today I found this mod. It's good that a configuration file is included -gave me the means to attach the routine to the MK2 Probe Core I use on my cars.

@RealGecko, no matter how many times I thank you for this, they won't be enough.

Edited by Atkara

3 hours ago, Atkara said:

Back in 1.05, I drove on the surface of Moho, Eve, Duna, Ike, Dres & Eeloo and got the science out of any biome a car could drive on.

On my current career, I have perfectly good 'hardware' sitting on the surface of all the above-mentioned bodies, except Eeloo (transfer window hasn't arrived yet), doing nothing because I simply can't find the nerve to go through this again.

Reveal hidden contents

Fw1iv7K.jpg

3PWgZqC.jpg

And today I found this mod. It's good that a configuration file is included -gave me the means to attach the routine to the MK2 Probe Core I use on my cars.

@RealGecko, no matter how many times I thank you for this, they won't be enough.

On Kerbin I've even used it where cars can't go.

I built a big rover and mounted some jet engines on it.  This allows awkward "driving" out onto the water to get the splashed-down science.  I also put a pair of drills and some small rockets--a very short burn and I can grab the flying low science.  (You need automated science sampler for this, there's no way to collect it manually fast enough.)

12 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

You need automated science sampler for this, there's no way to collect it manually fast enough.

You could also map them all to an action group and get them that way. I don't quite remember the last time I ran experiments one by one -only that it happened.

Edited by Atkara

12 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

You need automated science sampler for this, there's no way to collect it manually fast enough.

12 hours ago, Atkara said:

You could also map them all to an action group and get them that way. I don't quite remember the last time I ran experiments one by one -only that it happened.

I used @SpaceTiger`s Automated Science Sampler for gathering all available science and resetting experiments. Clicking thousand times to meausure temperature is quite boring, and who you gonna call wants to be bored by KSP :D

Just completed a 50 kilometer traverse on Laythe with a Malemute. This mod is SOOOO awesome. :D 

(and that was over some pretty diverse and rough terrain, from the west coast of one of the larger islands to the east coast, ranging from altitudes of ~800m to ~4500m and slopes anywhere from 2 to 17 degrees)

Edited by Starfire70

I found this mod awesome, however, idk what I wouldn't do for a simple boat version of this... Basically I land some of my rocket boosters on a barge in the middle of the ocean several hundred miles away from the space center, and although the boat is fast and I wrote a basic autopilot in kOS which operates while I'm away, this is still a long and mostly useless process.

I'm looking at the code of the mod right now and it looks pretty clean and tidy, just for my personnal use I may try to remove the wheels and power check (assuming boats can always move for simplicity), try and find where it prevents the path finder from going through water and "invert" that to prevent the boat from going on land. Does that sound reasonnable, or would there be a lot more work to do ?

However if you ever release this as an official feature I'd be very very pleased as it would probably be a lot cleaner without my messy coding skills. Anyways, the mod is awesome, keep up the good work sir ! 

Edited by lBoBl

6 minutes ago, lBoBl said:

I found this mod awesome, however, idk what I wouldn't do for a simple boat version of this...

There were numerous request for this feature, but I never had time to put my hands on that. For me the most problematic part was the integration with all those boat packs, as BV is designed to feel "realistic", that's why there's so much power consumption, average speed, wheels status calculations. With boats it's a bit problematic IMO.

You can take this mod as a base and try to create your own, I think it's better to be a separate mod (Bon Cruise??? :D). Steps you described are quite obvious, however I don't know how you will design average speed and power consumption part for boats, to maintain "realism" :)

1 hour ago, RealGecko said:

There were numerous request for this feature, but I never had time to put my hands on that. For me the most problematic part was the integration with all those boat packs, as BV is designed to feel "realistic", that's why there's so much power consumption, average speed, wheels status calculations. With boats it's a bit problematic IMO.

You can take this mod as a base and try to create your own, I think it's better to be a separate mod (Bon Cruise??? :D). Steps you described are quite obvious, however I don't know how you will design average speed and power consumption part for boats, to maintain "realism" :)

Yeah I guess doing it realisticly could prove complicated, especially since different boat parts mod works differently, some just generate power or even fuel to keep the ship going basically forever... And I'm mostly going to use it only for one boat which doesn't even come from a proper boats mod so I think I won't even worry about power consumption and make it 0, with a fixed slow speed (why not based on real spacex ASDS speeds if I can find what they are but I digress)... Point is, my goal is to bring back my first stages, refuel them, attach a new payload, and launch again without hitting the recover button. If i can do that, managing the fuel consumption of my barges is quite secondary :D

Just to be clear though, are you encouraging me to rip off your code and RELEASE a separate mod ? Because I was just thinking about making a tiny bit of adaptation to make it work with MY barges in MY install of KSP, for the reasons mentionned above and also not to take credit for anything, since if I use your code as a base I might not have to do much more work... If I'm to do it though, the most basic way to be sure that people don't just use the mod to cheat would be to 'record' speed and power consumption instead of calculating it... Basically since your practically can't calculate it reliably, the player just throttles up, waits to reach the desired speed and then clicks a button to tell the mod that his ship can go this fast, and the mod could maybe check at that precise moment if the resource consumption is positive or negative. Maybe I'll look into it when I have a bit more spare time and object oriented experience :D

45 minutes ago, lBoBl said:

Just to be clear though, are you encouraging me to rip off your code and RELEASE a separate mod ?

Exactly.

46 minutes ago, lBoBl said:

if I use your code as a base I might not have to do much more work

Just use some parts to make work easier, especially when it comes to A* pathfinding :D

47 minutes ago, lBoBl said:

to be sure that people don't just use the mod to cheat

People can do whatever they want in KSP, they even have HyperEdit for this :D

For me all this "realism" part was just my whim: rockets fly like real - rovers ride like real :confused:

53 minutes ago, lBoBl said:

the player just throttles up, waits to reach the desired speed and then clicks a button to tell the mod that his ship can go this fas

Maybe a simple text input?

Hi, I've just been told to try this mod, as I have 170km to travel on Mars (RSS/RO).
But as I would like to use this BV mod with an existing craft, I wanted to add the BV module to all command pods (currently using the rovemate)

thus wanted to do this in my MM patch:

@PART[roverBody]
{
	%MODULE[BonVoyageModule]
}

sadly, after reload this does not work. I do not have the right click options to pick a target.

So wanted to edit the save file, adding this in my rover roverBody part:

MODULE
{
  name = BonVoyageModule
  isEnabled = True
  isActive = False
  targetLatitude = 0
  targetLongitude = 0
  distanceToTarget = 0
  distanceTravelled = 0
  averageSpeed = 0
  lastTime = 0
  solarPowered = False
  isManned = False
  pathEncoded = 
  stagingEnabled = True
  EVENTS
  {
  }
  ACTIONS
  {
  }
  UPGRADESAPPLIED
  {
  }
}

but this was not enough.

So, hints on how to add this to an existing craft already landed?

EDIT: trying to view the "BV Control Panel" from the mod button does not work either. So my savefile/MM patch are clearly not enough.
+ I am on RSS/RO, so on the last BV version for KSP 1.2.2

Edited by Garlik

@Garlik BV is a little touchy about existing craft and BV module changes (including the addition  of the module when there are craft in the field)

If after adding the module, it does not appear on those craft, switch to them and quick save. Then reload the quick save. That usually does it for me

Thanks @Starwaster, I fixed it by going back in the vab on my rover, added the BV part on it, 'launched' it on the pad, quicksaved, copied that part on that rover from the savefile, and pasted it in my real save file on my actual rover landed on Mars, loaded that save: perfect!
Since, I added @RealGecko MM patch he noted above, works great to add BV behavior on all probes without the need for BV part

Thanks to you both

Great way to collect science. I was having trouble thinking how to get the science reports for Flying Low (without jumping from hills), or even the Flying High for the atmospheric analysis. The solution:

MLDZS40.png
W0uF02P.png
D0orVHV.png

After that I deflate the balloon, and let the lander can fall with chutes. Go to it with the rover, repack everything and reattach to the rover using KIS. I guess this is the most Kerbal thing I've ever done.

I'm only having problems with the Kerbals disappearing in Kerbin (and only Kerbin) using this. I'm almost sure is the "Stage Recovery" mod.

Edited by MaximumThrust

6 minutes ago, MaximumThrust said:

Great way to collect science. I was having trouble thinking how to get the science reports for Flying Low (without jumping from hills), or even the Flying High for the atmospheric analysis. The solution:

MLDZS40.png
W0uF02P.png
D0orVHV.png

After that I deflate the balloon, and let the lander can fall with chutes. Go to it with the rover, repack everything and reattach to the rover using KIS. I guess this is the most Kerbal thing I've ever done.

I'm only having problems with the Kerbals disappearing in Kerbin (and only Kerbin) using this. I'm almost sure is the "Stage Recovery" mod.

I also wrote a very small patch to work with Feline Rovers natively:

Reveal hidden contents

@PART[Lynx_FrontPiece]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = BonVoyageModule
    }
}

@PART[Lynx_Cockpit]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = BonVoyageModule
    }
}

@PART[Lynx_CockpitTruck]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = BonVoyageModule
    }
}

My fix was to put some Thuds on it, burn for half a second.  Include ISRU capability to refuel.  I have a pic around of the drill working fine on Kerbin's ice cap!

2 hours ago, MaximumThrust said:

I also wrote a very small patch to work with Feline Rovers natively:

Reveal hidden contents

@PART[Lynx_FrontPiece]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = BonVoyageModule
    }
}

@PART[Lynx_Cockpit]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = BonVoyageModule
    }
}

@PART[Lynx_CockpitTruck]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = BonVoyageModule
    }
}

Turn off the pre-recovery option. It recovers Kerbals from parts that it thinks might be in danger of being destroyed by going off rails.

Also, I too love using this to gather science with my mobile labs. I even hacked BonVoyage apart to allow amphibious travel with Lynx's boat propeller and hover jets, though it barely works  and is currently more trouble than it's worth because it has to change the vessel situation on the fly. (apparently if a vessel is moved out over the water and it's not properly set to 'SPLASHED' and you switch to that vessel...? DOWN TO THE BOTTOM OF THE OCEAN and crushed like an egg shell by the pressure. Ooops.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.