[KSP 1.3.1] Bon Voyage 0.13.2.1 - Make your wheels rolling! 2017-10-15

RealGecko

13 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Turn off the pre-recovery option. It recovers Kerbals from parts that it thinks might be in danger of being destroyed by going off rails.

Also, I too love using this to gather science with my mobile labs. I even hacked BonVoyage apart to allow amphibious travel with Lynx's boat propeller and hover jets, though it barely works  and is currently more trouble than it's worth because it has to change the vessel situation on the fly. (apparently if a vessel is moved out over the water and it's not properly set to 'SPLASHED' and you switch to that vessel...? DOWN TO THE BOTTOM OF THE OCEAN and crushed like an egg shell by the pressure. Ooops.)

I turned off the "recover kerbals" option and it worked! I don't plan to jettison kerbals from rockets during launch (even though I use the mod "fuel efficient pilots", and it's not entirely out of question). 

It's actually funny that the rover tries to go rovering in the bottom of the ocean :P

2 hours ago, maja said:

Feline Rovers have/had a BV patch bundled, if I remember it correctly.

You're right, I got duplicates and a lot of bugs. The first page don't say it support Feline Rovers, and it's not included in the .cfg with the others, so I though it was not supported. 

Removed that part from my post to prevent anyone from trying.

4 minutes ago, MaximumThrust said:

The first page don't say it support Feline Rovers, and it's not included in the .cfg with the others, so I though it was not supported. 

Patches created by me and shipped with BV are mentioned in the OP, and patch for FUR is shipped with FUR mod itselft (not created by me), so not listed in OP.

3 hours ago, MaximumThrust said:

It's actually funny that the rover tries to go rovering in the bottom of the ocean :P

What actually happens is that it was on the surface of the water and for a brief instant I can see it on the surface when switching to that vessel but then right before physics kicks in, KSP looks at the vessel's situation and if it says landed then it literally teleports it to the ocean floor. Which sucks because if a vessel is not the active vessel then it's not always possible to reliably determine if a vessel is 'on the water' or not. 

• 2 weeks later...

I can't say enough good things about this mod. :D

I did about 600 km of traverses on Duna last night, stopping at several points to collect science and investigate anomalies, seeing more of the Dunian 'countryside' than I had ever before.

Is there a donation link for the mod creator? I didn't see one in the first post.

11 hours ago, Bob Jub said:

Okay Maja, thanks! I'll wait patiently-ish

I'm sick right now, so my brain is a little bit fried and doesn't want to cooperate. That update is also good excuse to wait until I'll be healthy :wink:

Спасибо большое, мы этого очень ждали:wub:

Thank you very much, we were looking forward to it

my karibou often gets stuck in the ground(( looks like there's no synchronization with the surface horizontal.

Edited by maix

2 hours ago, maix said:

Спасибо большое, мы этого очень ждали:wub:

Thank you very much, we were looking forward to it

my karibou often gets stuck in the ground(( looks like there's no synchronization with the surface horizontal.

If there isn't explosion, then it's ok. It was worse, trust me :)

And please, move any other discussion to the new thread.

• 4 weeks later...

@maja If you have problems with the surface height maybe looking at the old autorove or waypoint manager could help?

A long time ago, when I was doing updates to AutoRove (days before Bon Voyage) mod I had to fix a terrain height issue when switch to the rover.

I got this from the last unofficial build I did of that mod. (it's pretty old 1.1ish). There are two methods. Maybe this is not the issue, then just disregard.

/// <summary>
/// calculates the terain height at a position of a given celestial body
/// </summary>
/// <param name="latitude"> in degrees </param>
/// <param name="longitude"> in degrees </param>
/// <param name="body"></param>
/// <returns> altitude in meters </returns>
internal static double surfaceHeight(double latitude, double longitude, CelestialBody body)
{
	double altitude = WMTerrainHeight(latitude, longitude, body);

//Debug.Log(
	//    "\nAutoRove surfaceHeight (altitude): " + altitude +
	//    "\nWaypoint Manager TerrainHeight (altitude): " + WMTerrainHeight(latitude, longitude, body)
	//    );

return altitude;
}

internal static double WMTerrainHeight(double latitude, double longitude, CelestialBody body)
{
	// Not sure when this happens - for Sun and Jool?
	if (body.pqsController == null)
	{
		return 0;
	}

// Figure out the terrain height
	double latRads = Math.PI / 180.0 * latitude;
	double lonRads = Math.PI / 180.0 * longitude;
	Vector3d radialVector = new Vector3d(Math.Cos(latRads) * Math.Cos(lonRads), Math.Sin(latRads), Math.Cos(latRads) * Math.Sin(lonRads));
	return Math.Max(body.pqsController.GetSurfaceHeight(radialVector) - body.pqsController.radius, 0.0);
}

//Second method
internal static double ARsurfaceHeight(double latitude, double longitude, CelestialBody body)
{
	Vector3d pqsRadialVector = QuaternionD.AngleAxis(longitude, Vector3d.down) * QuaternionD.AngleAxis(latitude, Vector3d.forward) * Vector3d.right;
	double altitude = body.pqsController.GetSurfaceHeight(pqsRadialVector) - body.pqsController.radius;

//Debug.Log(
	//    "\nAutoRove surfaceHeight (altitude): " + altitude +
	//    "\nWaypoint Manager TerrainHeight (altitude): " + WMTerrainHeight(latitude, longitude, body)
	//    );

return altitude;
}

Also looking at world stabilizer could help. Method with lowering in the rover could be smart, knowing the funny physics of KSP when something is clipping.

Question, is it possible to tweak the module so it starts shutdown by default and vessels don't spawn the BV powered vehicles when they are, for instance, in transit to destination and therefore, not going to be driving around for a long while? It maybe easier to manage, or it's just my ocd :-P

Edited by juanml82

39 minutes ago, juanml82 said:

Question, is it possible to tweak the module so it starts shutdown by default and vessels don't spawn the BV powered vehicles when they are, for instance, in transit to destination and therefore, not going to be driving around for a long while? It maybe easier to manage, or it's just my ocd :-P

You should work on your OCD instead. You'll be happier, in general, in the long run.

IMNSHO

6 hours ago, juanml82 said:

When BV module starts shutdown by default, then there will be a lot of questions why it's not working. I can probably add option to start shutdown to VAB/SPH context menu. Opinions?

I don't understand what you mean by "vessels don't spawn...".

Edited by maja

7 hours ago, maja said:

When BV module starts shutdown by default, then there will be a lot of questions why it's not working. I can probably add option to start shutdown to VAB/SPH context menu. Opinions?

I don't understand what you mean by "vessels don't spawn...".

I mean having the list of BV controlled rovers filled with rovers when I'm only interested in just a few, or one. As I said, OCD

14 minutes ago, juanml82 said:

I mean having the list of BV controlled rovers filled with rovers when I'm only interested in just a few, or one. As I said, OCD

Then shutdown the module :) There is the button in the context menu of the BV controller part or a pod which supports BV.

Please move further discussion to the new thread. This one will be closed. 

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/172447-ksp-141-bon-voyage-make-your-wheels-rolling-0133-2018-03-14/

Edited by maja

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MrSniffay said:

Is there currently any real danger to using this mod on 1.4.3? Most of my other mods are up to date and this is the only one that gave me an incompatibility warning. Thanks

Please read  the post before your own. There  is a new thread...

EDIT: Moderators maybe this thread should be locked?

Edited by Warezcrawler

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.