[KSP 1.3.1] Bon Voyage 0.13.2.1 - Make your wheels rolling! 2017-10-15

RealGecko

I've been having some power problems.  I have a fairly large rover on the Mun (I'm running USI life support) with Kerbals on board.  Three times now it has waited too long for sunlight, when I switch to it it's in the sun.  Two of those three times involved Kraken attacks, though--once it was hanging upside-down in space an unknown distance above the ground, when I tried to use HyperEdit to put it back down it blew itself to bits.  The second time I found it standing on it's front bumper, it fell forward.  The third time nothing was wrong and I was able to continue the mission.  There was also a time after reaching it's target I found it with the front about 60 degrees above the horizon.  It fell and bounced but survived the experience.

1 hour ago, Loren Pechtel said:

I've been having some power problems.  I have a fairly large rover on the Mun (I'm running USI life support) with Kerbals on board.  Three times now it has waited too long for sunlight, when I switch to it it's in the sun.  Two of those three times involved Kraken attacks, though--once it was hanging upside-down in space an unknown distance above the ground, when I tried to use HyperEdit to put it back down it blew itself to bits.  The second time I found it standing on it's front bumper, it fell forward.  The third time nothing was wrong and I was able to continue the mission.  There was also a time after reaching it's target I found it with the front about 60 degrees above the horizon.  It fell and bounced but survived the experience.

Sounds like you're having a bad experience there. Anecdotally I've not been having any problems with Bon Voyage. The rover below has been to almost every biome on The Mun now and its big brother has traversed Kerbin from pole to pole and pretty high up the mountains too.

I only had one terrain glitch problem when going to a polar Munar monolith and even then BV placed the rover upright on a stable patch of terrain even through surrounding terrain was severely messed up. It was also able to navigate away from that location although it wouldn't have been possible to drive out of there manually.

Power wise the sunrise delay seems OK to me. Maybe a little conservative in how high the sun has to get before starting roving but not unreasonable and probably averages out for not parking the rover in an ideal angle/location to catch the earliest light.

Edit: just for clarification the save discussed above is for KSP 1.3

Edited by Aelfhe1m

13 minutes ago, Aelfhe1m said:

Sounds like you're having a bad experience there. Anecdotally I've not been having any problems with Bon Voyage. The rover below has been to almost every biome on The Mun now and its big brother has traversed Kerbin from pole to pole and pretty high up the mountains too.

I only had one terrain glitch problem when going to a polar Munar monolith and even then BV placed the rover upright on a stable patch of terrain even through surrounding terrain was severely messed up. It was also able to navigate away from that location although it wouldn't have been possible to drive out of there manually.

Power wise the sunrise delay seems OK to me. Maybe a little conservative in how high the sun has to get before starting roving but not unreasonable and probably averages out for not parking the rover in an ideal angle/location to catch the earliest light.

Edit: just for clarification the save discussed above is for KSP 1.3

I had no problems on Kerbin and I've never seen the Kraken attack one there.  I'm wondering if it has something to do with it somehow mixing up the body the rover is on with the current body sometimes.  I've looked through the code and I sure can't see how the strangeness is happening.

I haven't upgraded to 1.3 yet, though--still waiting on mods.

5 hours ago, maja said:

@Loren Pechtel I got some weird positions on the Mun too. I didn't had time to analyze pathfinding and positioning part of the BV yet, but I look into it. It's possible, that this is some stock problem regarding Mun's terrain.

I've looked through the pathfinding and I don't believe it can be the culprit.  The rover is going where it's supposed to.

I do not understand the power issue and haven't looked--that's going to involve too much interaction with KSP as opposed to the code in front of me.

The terrain issue always involves the rover being in a seriously weird position that can't be explained by it's movement around the planet.  (There is a cosmetic bug that the rover spawns in it's previous orientation and then corrects to the current terrain but the Kraken incidents involve rotations not explained by it's travel, and once, quite some time ago, put it many kilometers above the surface of the world.)

The one common element I can find is that it only happens when the rover is on a different world than the focused one--this makes me suspect that somehow it's related to taking data off the wrong world or something.

I'm planning a rover to Minmus next and I'm going to try something.  I'm going to slap a BV controller on the return rocket (separate mission, the issue mentioned earlier won't bite me) and stay on Minmus for the entire process.  (The BV controller will let me switch to it without going back to the tracking center.)

im playing in 1.2.2 and i have kupernicos

my rover is in side a mounten

any suggestion on how to get the rover and crew on the surfese?

extra data:
i sent it to a mission marker to find an anomaly
the anomaly is right next to the rover in the mounten

Edited by danielboro

13 hours ago, danielboro said:

im playing in 1.2.2 and i have kupernicos

my rover is in side a mounten

any suggestion on how to get the rover and crew on the surfese?

extra data:
i sent it to a mission marker to find an anomaly
the anomaly is right next to the rover in the mounten

Pictures? Planet? Planet pack?

As a last resort, Hyperedit in conjunction with save game file (SFS) edit? It's a hassle but if you really want your Kerbals and rover back.

• Hyperedit an  distinctly one-of-a-kind name object into the right location, landed, upright. 
  • F5, quicksave game
  • open save game folder, find appropriate saved game
  • open Quicksave SFS saved game in Notepad
  • Ctrl-F,  Find that one-of-a-kind name vessel 
  • copy the orbital data of vessel, landed status, etc (all the relevant bits)
  • Ctrl-F,  Find your stuck rover
  • replace orbital data, etc, paste in copied version
  • delete Hyperedited vessel (or you'd have two objects in the same spot - KABOOM!)
  • save file
  • open Quicksave LOADME file in Notepad
  • open https://md5file.com/calculator
  • check the box for MD5 hash, uncheck the others if you want
  • drag and drop the edited Quicksave SFS file
  • copy MD5 hash output
  • replace MD5 hash output if Quicksave LOADME file with new hash
  • Save, close

Load Quicksave in KSP

PROFIT!!!:cool:

I'm suddenly having a big problem with wheels.

I have a rover on Minmus.  It's complaining that the wheels aren't on the ground--yet I'm on the Greater Flats, they have to be on the ground!  I've rolled it some distance, no change.

The one thing unusual about the situation is that there is also a lander on Minmus, well apart from the rover, that has a BV control module on it but has no wheels at all--it's not meant to go anywhere, I put the controller on it so I can switch to the lander without going back to the tracking station.

Edit:  I Hyperedited fuel onto the lander and put it back in orbit.  No change.

Note that this rover is an exact copy of one that has successfully crawled all over the Mun.  The Mun rover still works, albeit with a speed penalty since I took the crew off.

Edit:  Tried it with Maja's release--no wheel errors but it shows no BV rovers at all and the rover doesn't move.

Edit:  I reverted to the release version, went back and launched a new rover.  Same problem.  It's not just on the flats, I've used MechJeb to drive it to half the biomes on Minmus, BV still gripes about the wheels.  Same lander (it was already in flight at my save) but I never landed it.  It's in Minmus orbit.

Edited by Loren Pechtel

thank for the sugensions

i installed Hyperedit but first i tried some things.
the second thing i tried was to send the rover to a new spot using the pick target in map (the first was to send it to the nav point agen)

being in the mountean aperantly mean all wheels  are in contact whit the ground :)
it moved 2000m to the side and wean it got ther it was on the surfese.
alas it was a sever slope and my rover tumbled down losing all solar panels and som sci equipment. but my kerbals are ok, just running out of time (USI-LS)
a resqu mission is on its way. good thing i had a ship that can get to the mun in storage (i use KCT)

@Loren Pechtel Please, provide a save, error log, game version and minimal list of mods needed to reproduce it and I test it. When you don't see rovers in the BV list, than there is an error, which prevents to load it. Without more data I can only say "It's working here" :wink:

P.S.: I want this mod to run as smoothly as it can, because I'm using it too :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2017 at 0:04 AM, maja said:

@Loren Pechtel Please, provide a save, error log, game version and minimal list of mods needed to reproduce it and I test it. When you don't see rovers in the BV list, than there is an error, which prevents to load it. Without more data I can only say "It's working here" :wink:

P.S.: I want this mod to run as smoothly as it can, because I'm using it too :)

Where has the log file gone?

I tried an experiment.  The rovers had done their jobs and were sitting empty on their respective worlds.  I have ScanSat birds around Kerbin, Mun and Minmus and one heading for Duna, nothing else in flight.

Once again I tried to use BV to move the Minmus rover and was told no--while sitting on the Flats, there's no way the wheels weren't touching.  I used Hyperedit to move the offending rover to the Mun and landed it.  Somehow I survived the wild ride down the side of a crater and then I activated BV again.  This time it moved it fine.  Same rover, different world.

Where has the log file gone?

KSP.log from KSP folder and output_log.txt from "KSP folder/KSP_Data" or from "KSP folder/KSP_x64_Data" if you're running x64 version.

Once again I tried to use BV to move the Minmus rover and was told no--while sitting on the Flats, there's no way the wheels weren't touching.  I used Hyperedit to move the offending rover to the Mun and landed it.  Somehow I survived the wild ride down the side of a crater and then I activated BV again.  This time it moved it fine.  Same rover, different world.

Do you have a save file with that rover on Minmus?

52 minutes ago, maja said:

KSP.log from KSP folder and output_log.txt from "KSP folder/KSP_Data" or from "KSP folder/KSP_x64_Data" if you're running x64 version.

Do you have a save file with that rover on Minmus?

That's where I thought it should be.  I do have a save.  I'm sure it needs Tweakscale and Bon Voyage, the ScanSat birds of course need Scansat but if they were deleted it wouldn't matter.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.