[KSP 1.3.1] Bon Voyage 0.13.2.1 - Make your wheels rolling! 2017-10-15

RealGecko

Thanks.  I use AutoRove all the time, and will be looking at this.  I will admit I don't tend to think of the body AutoRove uses - I MM patch it's module into my rover cabs, and use that.  (And I use WayPoint Manager for targeting, so point-and-click doesn't bug me.  In fact, I prefer the exactness of being able to enter a number instead of the clumsy point-and-click in map view some mods use...)

I'm definitely planning on trying out this mod, when I get a chance.

14 minutes ago, DStaal said:

I MM patch it's module into my rover cabs

Yeah, I thought about using MM config to add BonVoyageModule to every command module too, but then I decided to keep it on separate part, to reduce overall calculations. I may have ships that look like rovers, but actually are just ore processing plants, no need to have BonVoyage everywhere :)

1 minute ago, DStaal said:

I don't have it in every command module - just relevant ones.  The Malmute command cab, the Karibou command cab, the Buffalo command cab, the Puma command cab...  :wink:

Hehe, by the way I did not test any of these rovers with BonVoyage, I predict some troubles cause for example Malemute and Karibou wheels do not produce any sound with Rover Wheel Sounds

Will try that tomorrow :)

Just now, westamastaflash said:

But if one wants to, one could add it to a part with a MM patch, correct? Nothing special about the part?

Absolutely, just a standard KSP module, here is part.cfg:

PART
{
    name = BonVoyageModule
    module = Part
    author = RealGecko
    TechRequired = start

MODEL
    {
        model = Squad/Parts/Science/sensorAccelerometer/model
        position = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0
        scale = 1.0, 1.0, 1.0
        rotation = 0, 0, 0
    }

node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0

cost = 100
    category = Science
    subcategory = 0
    title = Bon Voyage Autopilot
    manufacturer = RealGecko
    description = Bon Voyage Autopilot module
    attachRules = 0,1,0,0,1

mass = 0.001
    dragModelType = default
    maximum_drag = 0.2
    minimum_drag = 0.2
    angularDrag = 1
    crashTolerance = 8
    maxTemp = 3200

MODULE
    {
        name = BonVoyageModule
    }
}

6 hours ago, RealGecko said:

Hehe, by the way I did not test any of these rovers with BonVoyage, I predict some troubles cause for example Malemute and Karibou wheels do not produce any sound with Rover Wheel Sounds

Will try that tomorrow :)

As far as I know they're just standard wheels, nothing to special about them.

Now, if I were to use some Kerbal Foundries wheels, then I'd expect trouble.  :wink:  (Though if you could get those working as well, it would be great.  Of course, KF itself doesn't work at the moment...)

One quick thought: Does your path-finding algorithm take into account other ships?  If it's background-only it may not need to, technically, but it might be something to think about.  (A common use case for AutoRove for me at the moment is to build/land a science base on a planet, then send out a rover to the various biomes, run the experiments, and bring them back to the base to be processed.)

6 hours ago, DStaal said:

Does your path-finding algorithm take into account other ships?

You may set any vessel as active target as you usually do in KSP. Then pick "Set to active target" in BonVoyage right click menu and BonVoyage will target to location 200m away from desired vessel.

Now of course if target vessel will be let's say in mountains or behind the water you'll get error "No straight path found, try another point", so for now it's usable somewhere maybe like Minmus Flats or Mun Midlands with no deep craters on the way. But when path finding will be ready to use you'll be able to target any point on top of celestial body, if it is not behind the ocean of course :D

8 hours ago, RealGecko said:

You may set any vessel as active target as you usually do in KSP. Then pick "Set to active target" in BonVoyage right click menu and BonVoyage will target to location 200m away from desired vessel.

Now of course if target vessel will be let's say in mountains or behind the water you'll get error "No straight path found, try another point", so for now it's usable somewhere maybe like Minmus Flats or Mun Midlands with no deep craters on the way. But when path finding will be ready to use you'll be able to target any point on top of celestial body, if it is not behind the ocean of course :D

Thanks, and I like the idea of being able to target other ships (though I'll have to figure out a way to get close to them - I regularly point AutoRove at positions within 40m of other vessels...).  I could just drive, but driving within physics range of bases tends to get *really* wonky for me...

But that actually wasn't what I asked.  :wink:  Here's a more descriptive (if a bit of a worst-case) example:  Let's say I have a ring of bases around a central point, with one opening wide enough for a couple of rovers.  The central area is a hundred or so meters across.  If I started a rover in that central area, could BonVoyage pilot it out?  If I closed that opening, would BonVoyage realize that it no longer could pilot it out?  (AutoRove ignored the issue.  Which is a solution and approach if you want it.)

3 minutes ago, DStaal said:

The central area is a hundred or so meters across.  If I started a rover in that central area, could BonVoyage pilot it out?  If I closed that opening, would BonVoyage realize that it no longer could pilot it out?

Ah, OK, I get it. The answer is NO. When vessel is offloaded no physics calculated at all, even rover movement in background is calculated approximately. If we'll take in account other vessels and exact terrain shape the calculations will happen in real time, and that's not what we want :D

Very interesting. I've been dependent on Autorove since it's first release, so I'm very excited to try the different features here. This kind of thing really helps you get your money's worth out of land vehicles.

Can I ask if it's possible to use a similar system for boats or, if I want to dream, planes?

5 hours ago, riskyjubles said:

Can I ask if it's possible to use a similar system for boats or, if I want to dream, planes?

I don't use boats, we're in space program :D

However adopting BonVoyage for boats won't be really hard I presume. I'll think about it.

And about planes it is not that simple. Currently if you switch to BonVoyage controlled rover it stands still on the ground and it's not controllable, if you go away it'll continue it's voyage. But if you switch to "flying" plane, it'll fall :D

On 9/22/2016 at 11:26 PM, RealGecko said:

I don't use boats, we're in space program :D

However adopting BonVoyage for boats won't be really hard I presume. I'll think about it.

And about planes it is not that simple. Currently if you switch to BonVoyage controlled rover it stands still on the ground and it's not controllable, if you go away it'll continue it's voyage. But if you switch to "flying" plane, it'll fall :D

Space always comes first. Kerbals prefer rockets over wings for a reason. :D

That said, I'm more of a building type player than explorer, and I'm chomping at the bit to build an underwater base on Laythe or Eve and having a boat to ferry supplies would make it much less of a headache to set up and keep running. Not to mention, I can make my Kerbin launch stage recovery operation even more efficient!!!

I figured planes were unrealistic, but I thought I'd ask about it as I've never seen any mod attempt something like that.

Thanks for considering my requests and keep up the great work. These kind of mods really add a new dimension to the game!!!

4 hours ago, Marcelo Silveira said:

Does this plugins work with third party wheels (using the stock wheel module) or only the vanilla wheels?

BonVoyage uses ModuleWheels.ModuleWheelMotor and ModuleWheels.ModuleWheelDamage to detect operable wheels on rover, so if third party module implements both there should be no trouble at all. Actually wheel check is done only when you activate BonVoyage (Poehali!!! button) and not while moving :)

HEEEEY!!!

Dreams come true!

Version 0.9.9.10 is here!

• Fixed errors in editor
  • Fixed rover altitude being incorrect
  • Added Malemute and Karibou compatibility
  • Code optimization
  • Pathfinding fully functional
  • Interface revamp
  • Module Manager patch to add BonVoyage to Malemute, Karibou and Buffalo cabs

Delete your previous BonVoyage installation. Get the new one!

Uzds7U9.png

Edited by RealGecko

I always get the message "Your Power Production is low, do something with it." when starting with Poehali. But my rover has a Power Consumtion of only 0.26/s and a Power Production of 6.2/s. the Rover has both, Solar Panels and Radioisotope Generator.

Just now, Cheesecake said:

I always get the message "Your Power Production is low, do something with it." when starting with Poehali. But my rover has a Power Consumtion of only 0.26/s and a Power Production of 6.2/s. the Rover has both, Solar Panels and Radioisotope Generator.

Can you post a screenshot of your rover? What wheels do you have? How many of them are there?

There is a button in BV menu "Toggle utilities", if you click it will show you two more buttons: "Calculate solar" and "Calculate other", when you click any of them it will show a screen message with data about your power production. What are those readings?

Just now, Cheesecake said:

http://imgur.com/a/v0pRZ

It`s a Stock-Rover. Only one Antenna is from BDB for Remotetech-Connection.

When I "Toggle utilities" it happens nothing. No more buttons. I use KSP 1.1.3.

I'll check "Toggle utilities" maybe it was broken during update.

And with your rover everything is pretty clear: you have too many wheels :D

Try turning some of them off, leaving only four operational. I think that will be enough to run the rover.

Power consumption of rover when it is idle is not important for BV.

On start it checks overall rover power production, then computes overall wheels power consumption and diminishes this value to 55%.

If power production is lower than 55% of wheels max, BV won't start, that's it :wink:

1 hour ago, Cheesecake said:

In this Pic you can see power consumtion with only 4 active motors and the power production of ~6.5.

TtE2Vm0.png

Emmmmm..I'm frustrated :D

Can you upload your save game and output_log.txt from KSP_x64_Data to Dropbox or Google Drive and send me a link with private message?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.