[KSP 1.3.1] Bon Voyage 0.13.2.1 - Make your wheels rolling! 2017-10-15

RealGecko

Flew new rover to Minmus.

Landed rover on the flats.

Ordered rover to the Highlands.

Got message it had arrived, so switched to rover.

Physics coming back online and terrain weirdness launched rover skywards.

Flying new rover to Minmus,

Note to other drivers: Be really, really careful where you order your rovers to go. Local terrain weirdness, particularly in lower-gravity environments, can transform your rovers into (temporary) spacecraft.

10 minutes ago, Niccolo said:

I think this can be fixed by removig the code that corrects rover position above the ground, thus rover position and orientation will be managed by KSP again. This thing better be done optional IMO.

21 minutes ago, Niccolo said:

Note to other drivers: Be really, really careful where you order your rovers to go. Local terrain weirdness, particularly in lower-gravity environments, can transform your rovers into (temporary) spacecraft.

I use MJ's rover autopilot stability control.  I also have an action group to retract and extend solar panels.  As soon as I switch back to the rover, I hit the hotkey for the action group.  I still suffer the occasional catastrophe, but quicksaving after every stop has made life bearable.

51 minutes ago, Niccolo said:

Flew new rover to Minmus.

Landed rover on the flats.

Ordered rover to the Highlands.

Got message it had arrived, so switched to rover.

Flying new rover to Minmus,

I figure that I have to save before sending a rover on it's way.  I've had a toss on Minmus that if it happened on Gilly would have turned it into a permanent spacecraft (it would have exited the SOI.)

I sure don't see anything in the Bon Voyage code that can toss a rover so I think it's a collider problem.  I think the only real fix would be for KSP to resolve such issues by relocating the craft rather than pushing it away from the offending object.

2 hours ago, RealGecko said:

I think this can be fixed by removig the code that corrects rover position above the ground, thus rover position and orientation will be managed by KSP again. This thing better be done optional IMO.

1 hour ago, Loren Pechtel said:

I figure that I have to save before sending a rover on it's way.  I've had a toss on Minmus that if it happened on Gilly would have turned it into a permanent spacecraft (it would have exited the SOI.)

I sure don't see anything in the Bon Voyage code that can toss a rover so I think it's a collider problem.  I think the only real fix would be for KSP to resolve such issues by relocating the craft rather than pushing it away from the offending object.

It's a collider problem. KSP places a root of a craft on level with terrain. I "fixed" it by adding known height of the root part above the terrain, but it isn't allways enough. It's depending on a terrain, wheels and KSP.

Another, not solved yet, issue is, that a body rotates under a rover during the time the rover moves. It's more pronounced on smaller bodies. It's usually resolved by KSP itself when scene loads, but sometimes you don't have the rover anymore but a spacecraft. I'm looking into it, but I have problems finding correct functions to rotate a rover during background move. Maybe Persistent Rotation mode's code can help. I found it recently :cool:

7 hours ago, maja said:

It's a collider problem. KSP places a root of a craft on level with terrain. I "fixed" it by adding known height of the root part above the terrain, but it isn't allways enough. It's depending on a terrain, wheels and KSP.

Another, not solved yet, issue is, that a body rotates under a rover during the time the rover moves. It's more pronounced on smaller bodies. It's usually resolved by KSP itself when scene loads, but sometimes you don't have the rover anymore but a spacecraft. I'm looking into it, but I have problems finding correct functions to rotate a rover during background move. Maybe Persistent Rotation mode's code can help. I found it recently :cool:

I wonder if it would be possible to move the rover up say 100cm.  I can't imagine anything would break from a fall like that but it would reduce the chance of collider problems on spawn.

I seem to have a problem when trying to return to the space center. I have a lynx rover by  @Nils277. I hyperedit my rover to the northern ice shelf, move it around in circles a little, and then follow the directions to get my rover to go to a waypoint (I am using scansat to find the easter eggs in the game). My rover continues driving in a straight line toward the anomaly, but I am unable to go to the space center without it resetting my game to the last saved state due to it saying my vehicle is in motion.

Edited by nascarlaser1

2 hours ago, nascarlaser1 said:

I seem to have a problem when trying to return to the space center. I have a lynx rover by  @Nils277. I hyperedit my rover to the northern ice shelf, move it around in circles a little, and then follow the directions to get my rover to go to a waypoint (I am using scansat to find the easter eggs in the game). My rover continues driving in a straight line toward the anomaly, but I am unable to go to the space center without it resetting my game to the last saved state due to it saying my vehicle is in motion.

BonVoyage doesn't move a rover in a flight scene. Only in the backround, when a rover isn't active vessel. If your rover is moving, then it's not BV, but something else.

Check rover's speed and brakes.

Edited by maja

1 hour ago, maja said:

BonVoyage doesn't move a rover in a flight scene. Only in the backround, when a rover isn't active vessel. If your rover is moving, then it's not BV, but something else.

Check rover's speed and brakes.

So I need to go to the space center before telling the rover where to go?

3 hours ago, nascarlaser1 said:

Bon Voyage isn't doing this--it simulates movement in the background, it doesn't move it at all while it's active.  You're on ice, that's very flat, you're just rolling.  Put the brakes on.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

Is there some issues with Buffalo solar panels? https://imgur.com/8pqly8v here is my rover and it's solar panels generate power pretty well. Still, BV Control Panel says it's Generated power = 0. What should I do to make this work?

UPD: Seems that there is problem with other than stock solar systems. https://imgur.com/zNJNsIr - here is rover with stock solar panels and Bon Voyage work on it in stock system, but still refuses to start in KSS system (https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/154828-131-kerbal-star-systems-v071-part-1/). However other parts work perfectly and energy generates as it should.

Edited by WakabaGyaru

12 hours ago, WakabaGyaru said:

Hello!

Is there some issues with Buffalo solar panels? https://imgur.com/8pqly8v here is my rover and it's solar panels generate power pretty well. Still, BV Control Panel says it's Generated power = 0. What should I do to make this work?

UPD: Seems that there is problem with other than stock solar systems. https://imgur.com/zNJNsIr - here is rover with stock solar panels and Bon Voyage work on it in stock system, but still refuses to start in KSS system (https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/154828-131-kerbal-star-systems-v071-part-1/). However other parts work perfectly and energy generates as it should.

KSS needs Kopernicus to work and Kopernicus replaced default module for solar panels with custom one to properly track multiple light sources (e.g. a closer star in a multisolar system). I'll look into it and do a compatibility fix when I can.

Just now, maja said:

KSS needs Kopernicus to work and Kopernicus replaced default module for solar panels with custom one to properly track multiple light sources (e.g. a closer star in a multisolar system). I'll look into it and do a compatibility fix when I can.

Yes, seems like so. It would be great to have Bon Voyage compatible with multi-star mods!

• 2 weeks later...

this mod seems really interesting, say is there a possibility of a feature to set a certain max speed? so like i can set the autodrive to not go above 4 m/s because if i would normally drive the rover would tip over.

also, is a 1.3.0 version also available?

Edited by jevry

1 hour ago, jevry said:

this mod seems really interesting, say is there a possibility of a feature to set a certain max speed? so like i can set the autodrive to not go above 4 m/s because if i would normally drive the rover would tip over.

Max speed depends on wheels' settings. There isn't option to set specific max speed, but it's changed by different factors (manned/unmanned rover, number of powered wheels, available electricity etc.), so it's possible to tune it a little bit.

1 hour ago, jevry said:

also, is a 1.3.0 version also available?

https://github.com/Real-Gecko/KSP-BonVoyage/releases/tag/0.13.1

• 1 month later...

New to this mod, trying it out. I click on 'BV Control Panel' in the Malemute cab menu or the autopilot menu or app menu...and nothing happens.

Any ideas why that would happen? I tried reloading the mod, no change. Thanks.

KSP1.3.1 64bit on Windows 10.

Edited by Starfire70

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.