[KSP 1.3.1] Bon Voyage 0.13.2.1 - Make your wheels rolling! 2017-10-15

RealGecko

I am playing KSP v1.2.2 with RSS / RO.

Just tried bon voyage on a rover I have on Mars

When I press the "go" button… (Is that what "Poehali" is supposed to mean? ;) ) bon voyage complains there is not enough solar panels and I should have a dozen reactors… Well… I have 2 small panels and one reactor, but the one reactor is quite enough for the rover to wander forever, even in the dark, the energy in the rover is always maxed out. How can I overule bonvoyage's assumption there is not enough power? 

Edited by Jaeleth

15 hours ago, Jaeleth said:

Is that what "Poehali" is supposed to mean?

2e31zq.jpg

15 hours ago, Jaeleth said:

How can I overule bonvoyage's assumption there is not enough power? 

There's math in the OP. I recommend testing rover on runway first to make sure you have everything you need.

18 hours ago, Jaeleth said:

I am playing KSP v1.2.2 with RSS / RO.

Just tried bon voyage on a rover I have on Mars

When I press the "go" button… (Is that what "Poehali" is supposed to mean? ;) ) bon voyage complains there is not enough solar panels and I should have a dozen reactors… Well… I have 2 small panels and one reactor, but the one reactor is quite enough for the rover to wander forever, even in the dark, the energy in the rover is always maxed out. How can I overule bonvoyage's assumption there is not enough power? 

I note that in the known issues spoilers tab on the first page, it says: Module solar power calculation won't work if Sun is not central body of the system (change in progress, really)

Now I know you're playing with Real Solar System mod, and, as I've never used that mod myself, I presume the sun is still the central body of the system, but it's entirely possible that somehow in the code to change Kerbol to Sol, the code is borking the Bon voyage code that allows it to 'see' if the rover is getting enough power.

An alternative suggestion would be that if the solar panels and nuke power you're using isn't stock, it could very well be from a mod that bon voyage isn't recognizing, and there for thinks your rover has no power. 

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, GummyJon said:

Is there any way to make it so that your rover doesn't require a "Bon Voyage Autopilot"?

Add the module to the part(s) in question with ModuleManager. Start reading from about here.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Aeroboi said:

@RealGecko Can you update to version 1.4.x (1.4.5)

Next to mechjeb and bon voyage I know of no auto pilots for rovers that work in 1.4.x

If there are you or anyone else can help with that also.

We've got you covered ;)

Edited by maja

• 4 months later...

I absolutely love the functionality of this mod, but I do keep running into a problem. Whenever I switch back to a vehicle that has completed its voyage, it bounces into the air (or space) and flips over. One or more components typically explode. Has anyone else encountered this problem or know what might be causing it? To me it looks like the vehicle is clipping into the ground on load.

43 minutes ago, Lucas Kerman said:

I absolutely love the functionality of this mod, but I do keep running into a problem. Whenever I switch back to a vehicle that has completed its voyage, it bounces into the air (or space) and flips over. One or more components typically explode. Has anyone else encountered this problem or know what might be causing it? To me it looks like the vehicle is clipping into the ground on load.

Known issue--the rover isn't being rotated to the local terrain.  Fixed in the latest version (see the post two above yours for the link), it can also be handled with the world stabilizer mod (links in the thread I just mentioned) if you aren't running a KSP version that supports the latest version.  While I have yet to test it I suspect world stabilizer will fail if you go too far around a world in a single trip.  (Not possible on Kerbin, I would worry on a small moon.)

• 1 month later...

This mod used to have some wiggle room in the destination it drives to - it would be within a couple hundred meters, but not exact.  Now it appears to be exact, which is throwing me off - I can't target another vessel and drive to it, as the rover will end up *inside* the targeted vessel...

4 minutes ago, DStaal said:

This mod used to have some wiggle room in the destination it drives to - it would be within a couple hundred meters, but not exact.  Now it appears to be exact, which is throwing me off - I can't target another vessel and drive to it, as the rover will end up *inside* the targeted vessel...

I had that happen and had to edit the location of the bon voyage rover in the save to move it before loading the save.

1 hour ago, Tonka Crash said:

I had that happen and had to edit the location of the bon voyage rover in the save to move it before loading the save.

I've just had it happen to me twice in a row.  The first time, I'd targeted a flag - no big issue, though it was annoying.  The second time I reverted ~30 minutes of play to my last quicksave because otherwise Val, Bill, and Bob were going to be stranded.

37 minutes ago, DStaal said:

I've just had it happen to me twice in a row.  The first time, I'd targeted a flag - no big issue, though it was annoying.  The second time I reverted ~30 minutes of play to my last quicksave because otherwise Val, Bill, and Bob were going to be stranded.

I often look at the backup saves folder (if you have it on) when I don't have a convenient quicksave. It does a backup every time the persistence file is overwritten.

2 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

I often look at the backup saves folder (if you have it on) when I don't have a convenient quicksave. It does a backup every time the persistence file is overwritten.

In this case, the quicksave was basically right before a quit - and the 30 minutes of play was docking one ship to a station, transferring some Kerbals, undocking a different ship, and then doing a couple of burns with an ion drive to send it on it's way.  So a backup save and a the quicksave would likely be at about the same point.

• 3 weeks later...

Please don't lock this thread.  Some of us are still running KSP 1.2.2 because we have a massive list of missions that do not take kindly to updates!

I'm running the older Bon Voyage yet, and it works great... until it doesn't.  The parts are all fine, and the power check stuff is working, but my list of rovers won't populate, and nothing happens when the rover should be moving in the background.  Any help would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

This mod is great and makes rovers be actually useful but the rover speeds seem pretty OP to me.  Right now I have a rover being driven across the bumpy parts of Minmus by a noob engineer at 27m/s, whereas I have a hard time driving the same rover above 10m/s on the flats without losing control and flipping it.

Is there a way I can edit down the default speed to a number that feels fair?

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2019 at 10:10 PM, Cruzo said:

This mod is great and makes rovers be actually useful but the rover speeds seem pretty OP to me.  Right now I have a rover being driven across the bumpy parts of Minmus by a noob engineer at 27m/s, whereas I have a hard time driving the same rover above 10m/s on the flats without losing control and flipping it.

Is there a way I can edit down the default speed to a number that feels fair?

Sorry, I missed this. You can limit number of powered wheels (two is the minimum) and/or limit power input.

• 2 months later...

I have remote tech installed and it keeps telling me that i need an active connection to use bon voyage, but i have a full connection and complete control over the rover.

is there any way to turn off the need for an active connection? Cause if bon voyage wont accept my connection, that means my very expensive rover is a very expensive extra-terrestial paperweight.

edit: oh god damnit, im in the wrong tab. This is the unsupported version, init?

Edited by Joshinken

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, AtomicTech said:

Does this work in KSP 1.12.2? I'd love to use this!

If not are there any alternatives.

I'm trying/using it with *a minor* issue (possibly just due to mod interactions)! :D  Give it a shot!

Question for BV users/and maybe @maja:

As to those issues, I'm using Kerbalism, and Grounded vehicle parts-- and am having a hard time keeping a rover powered up and moving.  Kerbalism typically overrides stock "fuel cells" but the Grounded mod includes its own fuel cell motors that still burn liquid fuel to generate EC (which is also managed differently in Kerbalism).

I have plenty of power generation ability vs EC cost of moving + autopilot. When I set the autopilot and switch back to the KSC, the rover begins moving just fine. The Kerbalism sim of the craft in the background shows the EC left as full/"Perpetual" for about a minute or so, but will begin draining the craft's batteries (as if the motor was switched off) and eventually  the Bon Voyage status panel will show the craft stopped. Swapping back to the craft shows there's plenty of fuel and the batteries fill back up immediately. The puzzling part is why there is a span of a minute or so when everything seems fine...

Is something getting "out of sync" with Bon Voyage, not allowing the simulation of the Grounded fuel cell, or maybe a special issue because Kerbalism isn't handling the power generation of the Grounded mod properly? 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.