What Do You Use Instead Of Landing Gear (Legs)?

As the landing legs are currently experiencing some issues (lack of friction and the ability to accelerate Kerbals to a fatal velocity) I'm looking for alternatives.  What do you use?  I'm not keen on simply landing on the engine bells as it just doesn't feel "right".  (eg on the Apollo 15 mission the LM suffered quite a dent in the bell of the descent engine after touching down a little on the hard side)

I play the stock version of KSP.

Suggestions gratefully received

Clipper.

2 minutes ago, nascarlaser1 said:

use winglets. very useful as landing gear + they can be used on atmospheric planets for their intended role :P.

But with exceptionally low impact tolerance considering they break like paper at times...

I suggest landing struts. Such as the one shown below:

384F4vA.png

I've used Goo canisters or radial RCS tanks in the past. 

The basic aircraft wheels work great too, makes it easy to reposition if needed.

Honestly, now I normally land on the engines.  I find if I can't get my descent rate less than 2.0 m/s then having landing gear isn't going to help much anyway- because of the bouncing and attitude changes.

For atmospheric craft e.g. a Kerbinside vertical SSTO I like to use the Swept Wing Type A to double as winglet as well as landing gear. It gives good base diameter, aerodynamic stability and mediocre crash tolerance. For non-atmospheric bodies and long trips, the mass could be an issue however.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.