How is fuel flow working? (1.1.3)

Forgive me sires if i still play in 1.1.3 but i want to reach Sarnus, Neidon and its friends (OPM) and 1.2 has not many mods updated, so im asking for 1.1.3.

I have this "SSTO wannabe:

6z0dp4.png

But i got surprised when i noticed the Jets are taking part of it fuel from the center tanks. How can that be? How can i solve that without struts.

Anyway, any advices of how to improve the craft?

3 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Jet engines take fuel from all tanks in a stage equally.   All you can do is disable the tanks you don't want to pull fuel from until you need them.

Mmm can i do it in stock with action groups? or like a gunman clicking fast as hell at the right time?

45 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Gunman clicking fast as hell of course.

I had a mod that allowed opening and closing tanks by action groups, but i dont remember its name... i think it was exactly designed for this purpose

I found this:

http://spacedock.info/mod/640/TacFuelBalancer

although i cant reach LKO with this vessel anyway...

Edited by juvilado

I often have the same issue, for example I'll add a drop tank full of LF to my space plane and jettison it when I switch the Rapiers to closed cycle.  I right click the biggest LF/OX tank well before the moment I need to switch over and get ready to allow flow from the LF part of the tank at the right time. Whilst that tank is draining, I have plenty of time to turn on the rest of the tanks.

I do agree though, it would be helpful if you could achieve the same effect with action groups.

16 hours ago, juvilado said:

Forgive me sires if i still play in 1.1.3 but i want to reach Sarnus, Neidon and its friends (OPM) and 1.2 has not many mods updated, so im asking for 1.1.3.

I have this "SSTO wannabe:

6z0dp4.png

But i got surprised when i noticed the Jets are taking part of it fuel from the center tanks. How can that be? How can i solve that without struts.

Anyway, any advices of how to improve the craft?

Mount the jet engine pylons on a Small Hard point or Structural Pylon (http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Parts#Decoupler_and_Separator) and disable crossfeed on the part. That should keep the jets from eating from the main fuselage until the pylons are empty.

14 minutes ago, juvilado said:

No, im not using that precise mod

Ah, I really recommend FAR.

Yes it will tear your planes apart a few times, but with joint reinforment it really makes the game more fun.

Fairings have another purpose than giving you drag in exchange for heat protection.

Although, if you use/update to ksp 1.2. you set the fuel flow.

but for 1.1.3, I think far will even give you an advance with this plane, its quite streamlined so I think you will get more delta-V out of it with FAR.

Edited by DrLicor

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.