Visit to Nye Island for Walk-up to New Tracking Station

ansaman

Approaching Nye Island which is almost on the other side of Kerbin.

Zf4LrJC.jpg

There is not real flat place, so I planned on a controlled crash.
2q6A1VE.jpg

Walking up to dish... IT MOVES WHEN YOU ARE CLOSE ENOUGH !
icds69K.jpg

How big it really is...

oi4365i.jpg

Standing in the middle of the massive turntable

s3pWbLM.jpg

Under the dish

vYrGPXW.jpg

Edited by ansaman
put in pictures

It seems that from any distance, the dish is pointed default straight up, but once you fly close enough or walk up, it starts to move around, sometimes quite a bit.  It tilts on the axle and pivots on the ring-shaped base.  The center and the outer frame do not move.  The fighter I flew to Nye Island seems to have been affected by the 1.2 update as it is easily FAR faster and gets to FAR higher without flaming out.  I could maintain 20,000 meters easily and could peak out at a little over 25,000 meters before losing momentum.  The fighter peaked out at about 1450 m/s and started to heat up and get heat bars, but did not get too close to blowing up (I didn't push my luck).  I could easily maintain 1200 m/s.  Strangely enough, the fuel I had could easily circumnavigate Kerbin and still do it in a little over an hour game time.

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TheAuraTree said:

I instantly leaped to the forums when I saw my transmitter was connected to 'Nye Island', and searched for it. I wondered outright, is the island named after the famous Bill Nye, (the science guy) current CEO of the Planetary Society? I really hope it is.

You know, I kind of just assume that it was. :)

It has a collision mesh, so you could land a vtol on it (based on videos and pics I've seen)

What I have yet to determine is if the tracking center upgrades affect the ground stations, or if there is just 1 model for all ground stations.

Are they destructable?

The fighter I flew

Please, its just a jet. KSP is not a military sim. Unless you use that basic design for air to air combat with weapons (most likely modded) and a multiplayer mod, its not a fighter. Its just a super/hypersonic jet.

I haven't seen a list elsewhere (yet), but along the equator, I've detected the following stations:

KSC (natch)

Harvester Massif,

Nye Island,

and Crater Rim.

For those wanting to visit Harvester Massif, it's in a mountainous region, so bring climbing rope. :)

On 10/18/2016 at 3:29 AM, KerikBalm said:

It has a collision mesh, so you could land a vtol on it (based on videos and pics I've seen)

Pfft, that thing is plenty big enough to use as a runway for horizontal landings. :D If you find yourself going too fast just touch down on the lower end, roll up and off the upper edge, stall to lose speed and fall backwards back onto the dish. Jeb told me it's guaranteed to work, probably.

• 3 months later...
On 18/09/2016 at 9:51 AM, ansaman said:

Approaching Nye Island which is almost on the other side of Kerbin.

Zf4LrJC.jpg

There is not real flat place, so I planned on a controlled crash.
2q6A1VE.jpg

Walking up to dish... IT MOVES WHEN YOU ARE CLOSE ENOUGH !
icds69K.jpg

How big it really is...

oi4365i.jpg

Standing in the middle of the massive turntable

s3pWbLM.jpg

Under the dish

vYrGPXW.jpg

My Munar probe is connected to Nye Island. 

I would love if one station had a building with it, with a kerbal or two about.

022416_dish.jpg?itok=etpmKmXF dish__2.jpg

Stills are from the movie The Dish, with Sam Neill. About a station in Australia that helped communicate with Apollo 11 during its epic journey.  (Also includes Patrick Warburton, too)

You should go to Mesa South... Its fun

Spoiler

ajEYAoV.png

There are 5 stations roughly at the equator (if you count KSC): KSC, Harvester Massif, Nye Island, Crater Rim, KSC2 (its called Baikerbanur ingame). And then there is one to the north, called North Station One, and a south one, called Mesa South. Some are not that easy to get to

Edited by rudi1291

• 1 year later...

Damn, that is one fast plane. I tried your design out myself, and it was awesome. So far, I've clocked a top speed of ~1300 m/s (~2908.017 miles per hour) and an altitude of 25,000 meters (82,020.997 feet). The only problem is I keep catching fire every once in a while, so I cut the engine to save fuel and slow myself down so I don't explode. Know anything I can do about this?

* I also made missile bays out of radial decouplers, Mk. 0 tanks, and tiny rocket engines and nose cones, but they didn't really do much once deployed. They mainly worked as air-to-ground ordinance, but I was hoping it would be ground-to-air.

Can your plane do better speed and altitude-wise? If so, do you recommend I push further or stay within certain limits to not kill myself? 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.