The Astro-Imaging Thread

ProtoJeb21

Astro-Imaging Questions  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What's Your Favorite Solar System Body to Image?

I'm a "little" late, but finally, here is my first ever, spectacular images of---

dJYOkgs.jpg

9MhEEuv.jpg

Yeah....they suck. It's very hard to get good images of anything under magnitude 4-6 with my camera, especially a distant object that doesn't reflect that much light to begin with. Uranus was easily visible with the telescope I was using, but it was so hard to get any decent images. I'd actually consider Uranus a better target than Neptune, though, because of its better color scheme (aquamarine instead of blue), easier visibility, and the fact that it actually LOOKS like a spherical object. The fact that there are a bunch of moons visible with large telescopes is also nice. Neptune only has one big bright moon, and it's all Triton's fault.

I also got some nice shots of the supermoon on December 3rd. During that time I was playing around with some of the color settings on my camera, so I managed to get some really nice (even though unrealistic) images. I took pictures through both the main telescope and the tiny finder scope.

XjjjHQi.jpg

L3uxi9o.jpg

Bw7NvDQ.jpg

XsPJBdO.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/7/2018 at 2:55 AM, MaxPeck said:

Got a pretty good shot of M101 the other night... 2.5 hours worth of 2 minute subs..

I've been living in what seems like perpetual overcast for a couple of weeks now. I cant wait to get the chance and photograph anything...

I might be able to go out Saturday night if the forecast is correct

Edited by munlander1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a backlog of stuff. I hope y'all don't mind a little bit of an image dump.

Caught Mars and Saturn passing near globular cluster M22 this morning. Image is a stack of six 5 second subs with a Canon Rebel XT DSLR and a 75-300mm lens at 105mm.

Frd1lnJ.jpg

Some fun with remote observing. If you need some data to play with or don't have a scope of your own check out MicroObservatory. Free 6 inch Maksutovs for public use! Here's a 60s RGB image of M42 after some processing. Some artifacts and the color balance is odd but hey it was free! http://mo-www.cfa.harvard.edu/OWN/index.html

iCGJt5J.jpg

And finally a lunar phase timelapse I shot with my DSLR at 300mm (and then some cropping afterwards) :)

Spoiler

A21Kl47.gif

Edited by Nutt007

7 hours ago, dundun92 said:

Meade 90mm f8.8 refractor, webcam was modified Logitech C310.

Thats surprisingly good for 600mm, got a 600mm lens for my dslr didnt think i would be able to get much of a view of it but ill give it a go given those results

Hey all, just a question. Would it be acceptable to post some Hubble data I've processed here? I've seen sites like Astrobin and APOD allow it but something about a 2.4 meter telescope in space seems like cheating. :P

Cheers.

10 minutes ago, Nutt007 said:

Would it be acceptable to post some Hubble data I've processed here?

I think most of the aspects in that you can answer by yourself : is it meant to be publicly released, would the forum handle it, is it OK if someone found something else in it etc.

I mean, if it's really meant to be public, someone can just come up with them by going around the public archive...

Has anyone here ever taken astropics with phone? I have Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro but there's no shutter control so maybe photo stacking could work? I could take like 30 pictures all at once and then stack them but I don't even know if that would work or not.

1 hour ago, Wjolcz said:

Has anyone here ever taken astropics with phone? I have Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro but there's no shutter control so maybe photo stacking could work? I could take like 30 pictures all at once and then stack them but I don't even know if that would work or not.

Depends on what your trying to image, the moon yes it would work but you wouldnt need to stack them, rather you could record a video and use something like "planetary image processor" to get a reasonable image
If your trying to image a nebula or other deep sky object, it would be rather pointless depending on what the max shutter speed it has by default.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I've been in lethargy this winter and woke up just one month ago. The weather has been nice lately and managed to do 3 targets:

M 101 - The Pinwheel Galaxy

wKaO6pZ.png

Tech card is here: https://www.astrobin.com/341057/T/?nc=user

M 13 -  The Great Globular Cluster in Hercules

JKv7xnV.png

Tech Card is here: https://www.astrobin.com/343253/K/?nc=user

M 51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy

4PKP6pl.png

Tech card is here: https://www.astrobin.com/342678/M/?nc=user

I am also working on two more targets until the weather holds, these are very peculiar ones.. not often photographed. I hope the outcome will be good! :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.