The Astro-Imaging Thread

ProtoJeb21

Astro-Imaging Questions  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What's Your Favorite Solar System Body to Image?

Good idea !

How about M81 ? Or any other suggestions ? In summer M31 ?

I could deliver b/w images in fits format, LRGB filterset, picture size is a 4/3 with 8mp.

Or 12mp colour from a nikon dslr, maybe in summer for the mosaic ...

Should we agree on a specifc format ? Fits ? Aww ... sh.. i only have satellite connection and 20gb per month. That is easily exceeded with a stack of fits or tiff images ...

I think FITS would be most appropriate, but that could also be problematic in its own ways...

theres also the matter of augmentation frames and how that gets handled. Maybe instead we should develop a standard "package"... say your best 10 subs, along with darks, flats and bias frames to match. Too much?  Not enough?   

We could set the goal as sending quality over quantity, and quantity will be a factor of time as more packages of photos are submitted. 

7 hours ago, kurja said:

Really nice, I especially like the color you've achieved. Corners are a little stretched but not too badly. What's the full resolution of the image, are you going to have it printed?

Thank you! I'm still figuring out the right distance from the coma corrector.  The full resolution is 4170x2700, is cropped this one to 16:9 format and resized to 1920x1080 and I'll probably have it printed thou I'm quite sure I can still get more out of it. 

I like the idea of data sharing, but there's a problem. I work usually with short subs because the asi1600mm-cool seems to give its best with short exposures and also because pictures are much smoother this way. This mean that I produce tons of data each session. What if pass the raw stacked and calibrated? That would be enough? Anyway I keep all the calibrated frames for further integrations.

M81 is a bit too low at the moment and I tend to aim as high as possible because the nights aren't so dark anymore. There are different nebula I can try. Like Cocoon, Crescent or Dumbell. 

Edited by Epox75

16 hours ago, MaxPeck said:

You know what would be awesome?  We should set up a collaborative project... pick a mid-latitude target and have people submit their subs to a Dropbox account or something. We could do periodic processing of the data and post the results to see how it changes over time as data is added.  Either that or do a mosaic of a region, that would be cool too  

Think about it... we've got at least a few people here all around the world... if we could each contribute a couple times a month, we'd have a lot of data to use... we'd probably get some really cool pictures.  

Integrating frames from different hardware that inevitably have different field of view per pixel among other things, will not be simple by any means. It has been done, though I have no idea how. Do you have a plan for a workflow?

7 hours ago, kurja said:

Integrating frames from different hardware that inevitably have different field of view per pixel among other things, will not be simple by any means. It has been done, though I have no idea how. Do you have a plan for a workflow?

The idea has just came out. I think that putting some data together, work on it and share feedback is a good step for defining a workflow. Anyway using plate solving (haven't tried it yet) will be a must I think. 

Final version until more data are acquired. Cropped to 1920x1080:

8PgDQBT.png

48 minutes ago, Epox75 said:

The idea has just came out. I think that putting some data together, work on it and share feedback is a good step for defining a workflow. Anyway using plate solving (haven't tried it yet) will be a must I think. 

Yep, it'll force us to actually do something with the pictures than just stack them.

Oh, btw., it's cloudy here ...

Still, images that have different fov per pixel would first somehow have to be re-scaled to match each other, before anything else can be done (except calibration of individual lights which should be done first anyway). I can't see how it could otherwise work at all.

14 minutes ago, kurja said:

Still, images that have different fov per pixel would first somehow have to be re-scaled to match each other, before anything else can be done (except calibration of individual lights which should be done first anyway). I can't see how it could otherwise work at all.

Star alignment of Pixinsight does that. 

I knew it. I will actually have to read the book i bought :-)

Just Read The Instructions, or, to say it clear, rtfm ...

Overcast cloud cover down here. Up where the observatories are it's a steel blue sky. New moon today, eh ? Merde (J.L.Picard).

3 minutes ago, kurja said:

Are you sure? I'm under the impression that it only does what it says on the tin - alignment.

Yes very sure, as a test I applied a luminance of M13 I took with the C11 to the RGB I did with 6'' Imaging Newton. 

Edited by Epox75

2 hours ago, Green Baron said:

I knew it. I will actually have to read the book i bought :-)

Just Read The Instructions, or, to say it clear, rtfm ...

Overcast cloud cover down here. Up where the observatories are it's a steel blue sky. New moon today, eh ? Merde (J.L.Picard).

http://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tutorials.html This is my main reference for Pixinsight, very nice tutorial, every step has a picture and detailed explanation. Also this video made me understand how to use masks, a true breakthrough for me. Now I can apply my beloved deconvolution to the galaxies without touching the stars. 

6 hours ago, munlander1 said:

So who would be able to contribute to this community project? I think we should start another thread for it too if we all decide to continue.

Depends on the target, as I only have a 70mm celestron astromaster at my disposal! But, If I can do it, I`m in!

the weather here is really spotty, but in about a week or two, i`ll be moving..... to a place with a super dark sky... and rains less than half of the year. I`m excited!

has a thread been made?

Edited by FokkerAce
weather

12 minutes ago, FokkerAce said:

Depends on the target, as I only have a 70mm celestron astromaster at my disposal! But, If I can do it, I`m in!

You have camera and a tracking mount?

12 minutes ago, FokkerAce said:

has a thread been made?

Don't know

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.