[1.4.2] Kerbal Space Transport System

-MM-

3 hours ago, Cheostian said:

I wanted to offer some "Tips" for issues you may run into while using this mod that may be of help.  These are things I noticed while using the mod myself.  This is also a very quick new user guide to how to get started right away with a few basic's.

Their are three types of missions you'll want to likely record.  First is a deploy mission, second is a Transport mission for fuel, third is a Transport mission for Kerbals (you may also want a blended version of transport missions).

Step 1 of any mission:  Build your SSTO rocket.

- If your doing a deploy mission, you can use various options to disconnect the "payload".  Personally, I use docking ports (one on my ship, one on my payload)  be sure though that you disable crossfeed on them.(if you use resources in any fashion from your payload, the mission won't work)  The key when building this is get as dense in terms of weight a package as you can.  size or parts count don't matter.  Just weight.  If your using USI mods, I find the smaller Karbonite tanks filled are pretty dense for form factor.  I also will clip smaller side mount tanks in between them and stack them together.

- If your doing a transport mission, the key is to have a docking port and carry as much additional fuel as you can while still reaching a stable orbit.

- If doing a kerbal transport mission, just pack on some kerbals and have a docking port.

****FINAL IMPORTANT NOTE****

I'd suggest landing gear or side mounted launch stands (forgot the name while writing the post but the launch pad structures with the red ends that hold your ship in place until you launch)

The reason for this, I discovered, is if your ship "falls" a bit to far when loading onto the launch pad, KSTS, registers that as if the ship had taken off without you starting the recording (I believe because it moved from it's starting spot) and so it will no longer allow you to start recording the flight.

Step 2: Pick if your doing a deploy or a transport mission by selecting the option under the record tab.  Then be sure to hit the record button before you start your launch sequence.

Step 3: launch and achieve orbit

Step 4: payload

- for deploy missions, be sure to select the docking port or separator that is connected to YOUR ship, not the one on the payload.  Then hit the deploy payload or whatever it's called button.  DO NOT hit the save and record mission button after, unless you don't plan to do a return trip to land your rocket.

- for transport missions, use the sliders to select as much fuel as possible that you can dump, while still having some left for de-orbit.  Then hit deploy.  DO NOT hit save after unless your not planning to return your rocket to the surface.  Also, if you have an extra cargo container that was holding the fuel your planning on disconnecting before the return trip, I'd suggest you make sure you've transferred all the fuel out.  I use fuel balancer mod for this.

Step 5: deorbit and land back on kerbin (do not recover vessel yet)

Step 6: hit save and record mission button in KSTS

Step 7: Recover vessel

DONE!

Now to fly a mission, go to the deploy tab and select a payload that is equal or lower weight then the payload you delivered and an orbit that is above 70k but below your achieved orbit on your mission, and then select your deploy mission and your good to go!

Have fun, hope it helped!

How would you compare this mod to routine mission manager. They seem really similar. I think this one is more flexible. 

This is a neat mod, but is there a way to show how much fuel my target has? I only get a cargo of potential goods to launch, but I have to take notes on paper so I don't overfill my target ship. For example, my refueling depot has 100/5000 fuel aboard and 500/750 mono. I have no way of knowing this when I'm figuring out how much of each payload to bring up on future transport missions.

• 1 month later...

Great mod! Although it would be nice to be able to also launch to other planets/moons. I guess you can just check the current soi, if it's not kerbin then set minAltitude to vessel.orbit.ApA and maxAltitude to the edge of the SOI. It would be a little complicated around the sun, though. Maybe just disable orbits around it then.

Edit: NVM I did it myself.

Edited by xlm

This mod has been one of my favorites for a while, and I'm getting back into game with a GPP/CTT playthrough. I'm just ready to start building some regular lifters for easy deployment, and I'm noticing an issue with weight calculation.

This is my rescue orbiter, ready for launch. KSTS registers it as 13.09t.

DATzwjS.jpg

However, in the VAB, it's 17.51t. You can see that in the VAB, the full ship is 187.905t, and if I remove the orbiter (everything above the decoupler), it's 170.395t.

dQnSJG6.jpg

MzCz5U2.jpg

Either there's something I'm missing, there's a bug in KSTS, or there's a bug in KSP itself. Anybody else seen this?

6 hours ago, Platonicsolid said:

This mod has been one of my favorites for a while, and I'm getting back into game with a GPP/CTT playthrough. I'm just ready to start building some regular lifters for easy deployment, and I'm noticing an issue with weight calculation.

This is my rescue orbiter, ready for launch. KSTS registers it as 13.09t.

DATzwjS.jpg

However, in the VAB, it's 17.51t. You can see that in the VAB, the full ship is 187.905t, and if I remove the orbiter (everything above the decoupler), it's 170.395t.

dQnSJG6.jpg

MzCz5U2.jpg

Either there's something I'm missing, there's a bug in KSTS, or there's a bug in KSP itself. Anybody else seen this?

in VAB is calculated with command pod, while on the launch pad it's without command pod because decoupler...

Edited by Acvila

• 1 month later...

Hello and thank you for your interest in this mod. I will take a look at 1.4 in the coming days and if Squad hasn't changed too much, there should be a new release of this mod shortly thereafter.

Hello, I've just uploaded a new version of KSTS (1.10; see first post in this thread), which is now compatible with KSP 1.4.1. In addition to the recompilation for the new version of the game, I finally got around to adding support for the Stage Recovery Mod (thanks to Fumblesneeze for the Pull Request). I've done a few basic tests and everything looks fine so far. If you have any trouble with this new update, please let me know.

thanks a lot, now i can build anything on orbit :). is it possible to make it work even for mun and minmus?

i tested the last build and i launched a very big rocket(120t to LKO), i'm pretty sure that i lost 2 stages (around 70k cost) and i see that launch cost is only 17k (fuel consumed was around 70k-80k), i have stage recovery, fmrs and recovery controller. if i sum fuel + 2 stage lost it will be 140k-160k cost of that launch.

Edited by Acvila

On 27.3.2018 at 4:10 PM, ThaRebel said:

A big thnx to make this work with the new version!!! I am gonna test it, and let you know if all works out well. Should i post tech things in this forum, or in github?

If you want to share your question / issue with the entire group, the forum would be best. Maybe it is something that isn't really an issue with the mod itself. If you have a specific bug on the other hand, which needs fixing (ideally including the broken piece of code) and you want to get notified personally once it is done, feel free to post an issue ticket on Github.

14 hours ago, Lordmaddog said:

For some weird reason if you have a command pod on the payload it's not recognizing the decoupler.

Hm, I assume you have an empty command pod on top of a rocket, which is controlled by a probe core further down? You should try to make that probe core the root part in the vehicle assembly building. Or in other words: Start building your rocket beginning with the delivery vehicle and adding the payload you want to decouple at the end.

1 hour ago, -MM- said:

Hm, I assume you have an empty command pod on top of a rocket, which is controlled by a probe core further down? You should try to make that probe core the root part in the vehicle assembly building. Or in other words: Start building your rocket beginning with the delivery vehicle and adding the payload you want to decouple at the end.

I did that. my command pod is not empty tho. Dose it have to be?

22 hours ago, Lordmaddog said:

I did that. my command pod is not empty tho. Dose it have to be?

Well, there shouldn't be a Kerbal in it. If there is you will have to safely land him or her before you can save that mission. And the pod can't be the payload in that circumstance either. Think of it like the space shuttle: If it is manned, you will have to return it and deploy some other payload. If you want do record a simple one-way mission, it would be easier to simply use a probe core, which can be discarded once the mission is over.

If I misunderstand the problem, maybe you can post a picture?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's no info for installation
I know where the gamedata folder goes but not the rest: source, .gitattributes, .gitignore, KSTS.netkan, KSTS.sln

Edited by Mathrilord