[1.4.2] Kerbal Space Transport System

-MM-

4 hours ago, Mathrilord said:

There's no info for installation
I know where the gamedata folder goes but not the rest: source, .gitattributes, .gitignore, KSTS.netkan, KSTS.slnsome

Just merge the GameData folders, everything else is extra info that isn't needed for the mod to run but is instead for writing the code for it.

Edited by magico13
double posted

• 2 months later...

Hi, amazing mod, cannot thank you enough.

Small issue with how your mod calculates mass. I have a payload of 4,789 kg being calculated as 4.8t (and fits on my 4.8t launcher) and another payload of 4,771 kg being calculated as 5.0t (and thus does not fit on the 4.8t launcher :P). I'm running KSP 1.4.4, let me know if a part list is needed.

Cancel that, it was the mod that I was using giving a wrong reading of 4,771kg - MechJeb sees it as 5.032 t.

Thank you for the amazing mod that made me not give up on KSP!

Edited by vladiano

@-MM- I found some bugs using this mod in my (admittedly heavily modded) game.

1. Craft are not assembled properly, every craft I launched had it's parts spread out and the game became pretty much inoperable, fixed by reading through your comments about AssembleForLaunch method and then finding code in AT_Utils that utilized just that. As a bonus, I believe your caveats about how a craft must be constructed are no longer true.
  2. The orbit code might have been closely coupled with craft assembly because I had to solve that next, craft would never receive an orbit and would be instantly destroyed. I researched how Hyperedit alters orbits to resolve. Once that was resolved I found that the code that made sure you didn't stack ships on top of each other (also resulting in explosion) didn't work either and had to make some tweaks.
  3. The payload in deployment missions was never crewed, no matter what I tried. I even watched the code execute. In the end, it seemed like the wrong methods/events were being called for the game to recognize crew assignments so I located example crew manipulation code and built from there. There were several mods that were not compatible with the concept of crew going right from the roster to space (ContractConfigurator when certain contracts were accepted) resulting in NREs that killed the crew assignments. Guarded against that, too.

Anyway, I love what you've done with this mod. This mod is the keystone in my game being the management of an actual interplanetary space program rather than an ascent flight sim where you occasionally get to do some other stuff (but mostly watch your craft ascend in a rote, rehearsed, optimal manner). I wanted to contribute back the updates as github PRs and was hoping to get your consent to working through that before I pushed it on you.

Also, I was looking at a slightly more up to date fork (it incorporated some inter-planetary options) of your fantastic work and the updates made in the fork, the way this mod works with some of the richer station/base building experiences (and contract packs), and my interest in having Kerbal Construction Time be a part of my space program led me to the conclusion that with a little work, this mod could transform every player's game. Integration with KCT is of particular interest to me. Gameplay where you are queuing up KSTS builds that respect KCT's systems to just barely squeak out a research station or space hotel (bases and stations contract pack and tourism contract pack, respectively) in time to equip and fund a big Duna mission by the time your launch window rolls around is what I'm imagining. How open are you to receiving help on this mod and adding these items?

tl;dr I've got some code I think will help, you want it? I've got some ideas for expanding the mod, you interested in working on them and/or letting other modders contribute them to your awesome mod?

12 hours ago, The_Joe said:

Im having an issue where some of my missions using modded parts report a negative cost, any ideas why this might be happening?

Because every PartModule can modify the cost of the part it is on. It does this by reporting a cost delta and there is no sanity checking to ensure either a minimum cost nor a negative cost. Literally every plugin mod potentially is modifying the cost of the part and the more of them you have the more likely that stuff like this is going to happen. (this is done by calling GetModuleCost() on the PartModule in question assuming it implements IPartCostModifier. The only information available to GetModuleCost is the base part cost from the prefab and if the part has resources on it it does not take into account the fact that the player may have adjusted those resources)

Edited by Starwaster

• 2 weeks later...

@Crimor only problem is that you send up Kerbals without ever "tagging up", i.e. your last return date has been recorded as the last time they were home/their hab timers were reset. So, you can either send up a lot of missions/stop off at really big space stations/use medical & colony supplies to manage these timers or set the home altitude to whatever the maximum altitude you'd deploy Kerbals in KSTS with is.

This is probably a bug USI-LS should fix (instead of polling to see the last time the Kerbal was home, it should intercept crew change events but I don't know how reliable that is and I wouldn't hold my breath for this to happen).

Edited by whitespacekilla

• 2 months later...
On 7/28/2018 at 2:06 AM, whitespacekilla said:

@Crimor only problem is that you send up Kerbals without ever "tagging up", i.e. your last return date has been recorded as the last time they were home/their hab timers were reset. So, you can either send up a lot of missions/stop off at really big space stations/use medical & colony supplies to manage these timers or set the home altitude to whatever the maximum altitude you'd deploy Kerbals in KSTS with is.

This is probably a bug USI-LS should fix (instead of polling to see the last time the Kerbal was home, it should intercept crew change events but I don't know how reliable that is and I wouldn't hold my breath for this to happen).

regardng this exact bug i talked to the usi guys and they said it happens because the way this mod does the launches. the issue has to be fixed here.

18 hours ago, Nicky21 said:

regardng this exact bug i talked to the usi guys and they said it happens because the way this mod does the launches. the issue has to be fixed here.

Its an easy workaround, just set the home altitude in USI for 100km or so, and never use this mod to launch manned missions above that.  Once the Kerbals change orbit above whatever you set, they're just fine.

13 hours ago, PolecatEZ said:

Its an easy workaround, just set the home altitude in USI for 100km or so, and never use this mod to launch manned missions above that.  Once the Kerbals change orbit above whatever you set, they're just fine.

That is an excellent idea !

On 10/5/2018 at 4:36 AM, Nicky21 said:

Eh, I guess that's true from a certain point of view (in the "Star Wars" it's not really true way... :wink:).  I described the way their source code works accurately. They don't set home status based on any events, they set it based on a looping sub-routine that scans all current flights for crew and determines if they're orbiting Kerbin at an altitude below the "home altitude". There's no requirement that launches have to occur from Kerbin (in fact, in the fork of this mod I use, they can go to and occur from other bodies and be used with KSTS). USI-LS was just built around that assumption.

It's not really a big deal, others have listed the same workaround I used for a long time. USI-LS could be more compatible and better performing if it used event emissions instead of Update/FixedUpdate callbacks for some of its logic. There's no requirement that a mod maker has to make their mod compatible or performant and USI-LS is a great mod.

As far as "fixing the bug here" I do so in my custom fork but it's suboptimal because it has to take advantage of .NET Reflection (fragile), read and write undocumented data structures of USI-LS, and doesn't quite set the times exactly as I'd like, so I probably won't publish a binary release in that state. Requiring KSTS launches to start from the ground/some lower orbit isn't a workable fix for this mod.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi there!

In my opinion KSTS is one of the best non part mod around. For veteran player like me its really good to skip the repetitive launch from kerbin. @whitespacekilla You mentioned a newer fork that allow off Kerbin operation. I am really interested into that. You see I am building a refining station around Minmus, I would really like if I could automate the resupply from Minmus mining site. Think its possible?

• 2 weeks later...

How does it work?
Does it copy the flight commands using a specified cargo and then actually fly the vessel itself? The reason I ask, I have a space plane that toggles mid center engines on/off in the upper atmosphere for pitch control, many of my spaceplanes don't have this by the way, but some do.
So if I use action group in actual flight to switch engines on/off will this mod simulate that behavior or does it only serve simple space planes without action group usage?

It's simpler than that.  It records the mass of the payload, the ap you reached, and the total cost and time, then lets you spawn things up to that mass and that altitude for the same time and cost.  It doesn't fly a launch vehicle.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/28/2019 at 1:23 PM, RedParadize said:

Hi there!

In my opinion KSTS is one of the best non part mod around. For veteran player like me its really good to skip the repetitive launch from kerbin. @whitespacekilla You mentioned a newer fork that allow off Kerbin operation. I am really interested into that. You see I am building a refining station around Minmus, I would really like if I could automate the resupply from Minmus mining site. Think its possible?

I haven't played since last July but the new update looked good enough that I'm getting back in. First mod I checked in on was this one. The version I made had some quirks that required hand-crafted recorded missions, careful avoidance of situations the original couldn't handle, and a little suspension of disbelief because it modeled every orbit as if higher orbits were more expensive (this is obviously untrue for orbits to other bodies, lower orbits are typically more expensive). The only reason I didn't try to make a releasable version of my fork was that I didn't know how to or want to learn UI programming for the game, so I just lived with the quirks. I guess I'm over that hump now and will give it a shot.

What I'm hoping to release is a re-imagining of the original concept, instead of recording flights, you'll unlock the ability to send certain masses to certain orbits based on having properly fitted space stations in orbit at start and finish. Maybe ground bases could even play a role. One of the complaints about the base game is the limited role of bases and stations, and I hope this will improve upon that. The recorded missions ended up being

• difficult to use, I would often have to reload multiple times just to get the process right and even then, still end up with launch parameters I didn't think were fair because of staging quirks 
  • game-able, I could record a launch with a sleek, dense payload and then launch a double decker bus into orbit after
  •  in-flexible, needing to record a brand new launch just to alter the parameters slightly was a slog

I'll dig up my 1.4.5 DLL and pm you how a link to it in the meantime. It may be in a state that depends on USI-LS being installed. I don't remember. I think it will take me a few months to build the mod I'm talking about.

• 1 month later...

Something seems wrong with costs of missions, maybe an issue with SSTU or something?  https://imgur.com/a/9pwQUsy

In another instance, the "Zeta 1" costs 93k funds to launch, but KSTS claims a mere 53k.

I believe its because the base cost of SSTUs procedural tanks is 0 funds.

Edited by The Destroyer

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

1.8.0 working record, graphics, but when you try to put something in orbit it fails... seems that transport is working fine, only deploy doesn't work.

Spoiler

[LOG 14:50:40.367] station orb loaded!
[ERR 14:50:40.368] [KSTS] Mission.CreateShip(): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ProtoPartModuleSnapshot..ctor (PartModule module) [0x00031] in <5b6ca6486e0b47a1bce39cde5a91b986>:0
  at ProtoPartSnapshot..ctor (Part PartRef, ProtoVessel protoVessel, System.Boolean preCreate) [0x0033f] in <5b6ca6486e0b47a1bce39cde5a91b986>:0
  at ProtoPartSnapshot..ctor (Part PartRef, ProtoVessel protoVessel) [0x00000] in <5b6ca6486e0b47a1bce39cde5a91b986>:0
  at KSTS.Mission.CreateShip () [0x00467] in <f0852465fb63453ca3c3d66a596eec79>:0

Edited by Acvila

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I recompiled the mod for 1.8. Sadly the Vessels are still not deployed correctly. It seems to be a problem with the part initialisation. 
I wish i could find the problem, but my programming knowledge is too limited. This mod is absolutely essential for KSP, eventually someone else can find a solution.

If someone is interested, maybe the error and the coresponding function helps.
https://pastebin.com/1iKg06XP

I have what appears to be a working version, working with @Dave93 to see how good it is.

The UI needs some work, it's not obvious how to use it

Edit:  @Dave93 confirmed it was working properly.  He is going to work with it, and may adopt it.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 2 weeks later...