"Control From Here" in action group

Many kinds of craft need this:  VTOL's in hovering mode vs flying mode, spacecraft in flight vs docking mode, rover + skycrane, etc, etc.  It'd be nice to be able to switch your control POV before you hit the freaking ground -- and would be nice to have a way to do it from inside a cockpit.  Letting us put the 'control from here' option in a control group would let us do both.

It'd also fix the odd rocket that wants to 'control from' undeground for no apparent reason.  Just put 'control from here' in stage and it restores on launch and fixes PoV changes that might be caused by a change in stage.

Edited by Corona688

Adding my vote here.
 And asking if there's a mod that does this.

Yesterday, for several hours I struggled with a VTOL plane that despite having the lifting rotors right where it should, and above the center of mass, as soon as it gained the least amount of tilt, would immediately flip over, any attempts to right it 'seemingly' making it worse. Why 'seemingly' in quotes? Because they actually did make it worse!

Disabling gimbal on the lifting engines alleviated the issue.

Adding a probe core oriented up, and switching to it before hover (while leaving gimbal active) removed it entirely.

The game assumes the engines are oriented backwards; that if the craft is to pitch up, turning them 'up' will help. With VTOL it makes them turn forward, doing the exact opposite of what is needed. The same for pitch down; trying to fix a roll made the craft pivot (yaw) and attempt to change heading entered it into a roll.

Adding 'control from here' to the action group for these engines would be a solution.

Yes please. I've been bimbling around Moho for hours with a rover that switches its control point back to vertical every time I go to the map view to see where I am, and the probe core isn't very easy to click (because I didn't expect to have to do it repeatedly).

Additional; please remember the last 'control from here' and keep it that way until the player changes it. No external force should be able to change the control point.

Another situation where quick switch of "control from here" would be useful:  When you want the pilot to hold a severe angle above prograde, for example, when re-entering a spaceplane.  You can "control from" a docking port rotated to the proper angle for re-entry, then switch back for normal flight.

Control-from-here is very difficult to find when you need it in the 1.2 prerelease because of all the new controls added to the right-click menu.

Edited by Corona688

4 minutes ago, Corona688 said:

I'm guessing from the quiet that adding that to action-groups is impractical

A bit premature to think no direct response in this thread means they have made a decision on this, especially during a very hectic pre-release phase.

A feedback report in the bug tracker would be more likely to be seen.

2 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

A bit premature to think no direct response in this thread means they have made a decision on this, especially during a very hectic pre-release phase.

A feedback report in the bug tracker would be more likely to be seen.

I am not a supergenius, so someone already thought of it.  It's been on the bug tracker for 5 months.  TriggerAu marked it as needs clarification, since then it's been quiescent.

http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/9507

I've now done my best to clarify it.

2 hours ago, Corona688 said:

I've now done my best to clarify it.

I think that's good clarification. Thanks.

The only thing maybe missing to remove questions/doubts would be attaching one or two craft files that could benefit from an action group for 'control from here', like a VTOL or an upside down lander subassembly in a cargo bay that when staged has the wrong docking port assuming control.

23 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

The only thing maybe missing to remove questions/doubts would be attaching one or two craft files that could benefit from an action group for 'control from here', like a VTOL or an upside down lander subassembly in a cargo bay that when staged has the wrong docking port assuming control.

Added a VTOL to the bug tracker.

If they could add new parts on the fly like that during the current pre-release, we might hope this little suggestion gets added too before the full release. It really is long overdue, it was mentioned in the forums many many times before. We need to get this now, please SQUAD.

7 hours ago, Corona688 said:

@RoboRay  Would you mind mentioning what they are?  Don't hold out on us :P

Oh, sorry.  :)

Try these:

It can also be done with an IVA button or menu selection if you use RPM.

Maybe one of these will get you through until whenever Squad gets around to making all of the part right-click options usable in Action Groups.

Edited by RoboRay

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.