Renaming ship with no probe core or command pod

So I have an interplanetary ship I am current on a mission with.  The craft uses supplemental fuel tanks that are designed to be attached to docking ports in orbit and then discarded en-route as fuel is expended.  They work well, but leave fuel tanks drifting between planets in wide, distant orbits.  While I normally clear up debris in Low Kerbin Orbit, I am okay with this given the literally astronomical odds against encountering any of this debris again.  

Unfortunately, the tanks I dropped did not automatically change their type to "Debris", which is odd because they have no command and control parts.  Normally I would switch to the craft, go to rename it, and manually change its type to Debris (which is what I do with rescue command pods or things I abandon on extra-Kerbin surfaces.)  Since there is no command parts on these fuel tanks though, I cannot see how to manually rename them.  

Anyone know how to change the craft type without it having a command part?  

Yes, it's in the tracking station.  Select the 'vehicle' in question from the list on the left, the 'i'nformation button then shows on the right.  Click that for the vehicle's information, including type and name.

Once it's selected though, it's easier just to click the 'terminate' button at the bottom and be done with it.

9 hours ago, Pecan said:

Yes, it's in the tracking station.  Select the 'vehicle' in question from the list on the left, the 'i'nformation button then shows on the right.  Click that for the vehicle's information, including type and name.

Doubleclick the vehicle name. It doesn't look editable, but it is.

On 9/18/2016 at 3:33 PM, Pecan said:

Once it's selected though, it's easier just to click the 'terminate' button at the bottom and be done with it.

Thanks, that should probably do it.  

As for the termination of it though, that brakes one of my self-imposed gameplay restrictions.  I try not to terminate debris if I can help it, feels a little too much like escaping the consequences of sloppy actions.  There are some exceptions though, like if debris survives impacting on Kerbin I might terminate it instead of leaving it there (reflecting sending cleanup crews to collect the debris.)  But anything in space tends to stay in space unless I have some way of mechanically impacting it into a planetary body.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.