[1.3.1] Carrier Vessel Expansion (CVX) [ver 0.13.1]

Eskandare

I'm not sure if i installed it incorrectly or something but i managed to get this thing into the water but i can't control it or do anything i have plenty of crew in it and im not sure whats going on so if anyone knows please tell me (1.2 by the way) Never mind i figured it out

Edited by coyotepunk05

Some Phantom and Super Hornet Jolly Roger goodness on the USS Nimitz. (Still details to add for the carrier but I wanted to see how many planes I could fit before my computer got mad. I could probably keep going but I wanted to share and keep the momentum up for this mod. :D )

5YlhMJw.jpg

i cant get this ship to work at all i can make the ship but trying to move it into the water i just CANT get it to keep the bridge attached as soon as the game loads up it just disconnects no matter what i do, ive attached HUNDREDS upon HUNDREADS of takeoff supports to attempt to keep it attached all togeather, but nothing is working, is there any way i can fix this!

Edited by TheDragonGamer

15 hours ago, XOC2008 said:

Some Phantom and Super Hornet Jolly Roger goodness on the USS Nimitz. (Still details to add for the carrier but I wanted to see how many planes I could fit before my computer got mad. I could probably keep going but I wanted to share and keep the momentum up for this mod. :D )

5YlhMJw.jpg

Nice! My next update will have hanger support.

21 hours ago, XOC2008 said:

Sweet. I have to remind myself to build low part count versions next time I do this so I can pack the deck but so that my laptop won't yell at me.

I noticed in 1.2 that there is better physics management of parts. You can have more crafts in the active cell.

58 minutes ago, Eskandare said:

I noticed in 1.2 that there is better physics management of parts. You can have more crafts in the active cell.

Oh it was running fine till I tried reloading the scene.. but ten 70+ part craft will tend to slow things down. I get impatient when it takes a while to load.

i cant get this ship to work at all i can make the ship but trying to move it into the water i just CANT get it to keep the bridge attached as soon as the game loads up it just disconnects no matter what i do, ive attached HUNDREDS upon HUNDREADS of takeoff supports to attempt to keep it attached all togeather, but nothing is working, is there any way i can fix this!

Same here. Bridge tower falls off every time, no matter what.

Edited by Rhedd

33 minutes ago, Rhedd said:

Same here. Bridge tower falls off every time, no matter what.

Use Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, there is a link on the OP. KSP, being an aerospace simulator, the joint system isn't exactly designed for parts that weigh over 100 tons. That being said the bridge tower weighs 700 tons and breaks the joint.

I hate having a mod that requires another mod, but KJR, even with the new auto struts and rigid attachment features, is a necessity especially for those creating certain replicas like the Apollo 11 Saturn V, or just any HLV.for that matter. 

4 minutes ago, Eskandare said:

Use Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, there is a link on the OP. KSP, being an aerospace simulator, the joint system isn't exactly designed for parts that weigh over 100 tons. That being said the bridge tower weighs 700 tons and breaks the joint.

I hate having a mod that requires another mod, but KJR, even with the new auto struts and rigid attachment features, is a necessity especially for those creating certain replicas like the Apollo 11 Saturn V, or just any HLV.for that matter. 

I see. Glad to know the reason it happens so consistently. Although I've spent most of my 2k+ hours in KSP recreating the Apollo program with FASA and never needed even an extra strut. ^_^

I've now had luck getting a carrier to sea by just turning on unbreakable joints before launching. One question, though; Why not just make the hull and bridge tower one piece? I don't immediately see a reason they have to be separate anyway.

Despite the bridge falling off and the screws being extremely wonky when turned on, I should mention that this is VERY fine work! Lots of fun landing stuff on a carrier and recovery CVs were something I've always felt were missing from a proper space program.

Esk I really hate to bother you but the KJR isnt helping. Carrier just explodes now. sorta fun but then i cant crash planes into it =(

Ill attempt to do it again without any other vessels nearby.

Update: Reloaded Game. Works Now  I think one of my mods was installed wrong.

Conclusion: Installation Error Opps

Note To Self. Dont Over Steer. Carrier Decides Its A Plane

Edited by Mark Kerbin

12 hours ago, Mark Kerbin said:

Note To Self. Dont Over Steer. Carrier Decides Its A Plane

Hmmmn... I thought I fixed that in version 0.12, I'm still tinkering with the coefficient for the rudder, still has phantom forces. I would throttle up on steering and use low or medium throttle on straight travel.

4 hours ago, Eskandare said:

Hmmmn... I thought I fixed that in version 0.12, I'm still tinkering with the coefficient for the rudder, still has phantom forces. I would throttle up on steering and use low or medium throttle on straight travel.

Ah so it's not just my rudders, this is good, do let me know if you manage to stop torque launch.    I have found the situation much improved if engines gimbals are locked, counter intuitively  turning the rudder authority to the max, and doing all steering via rudders.  Also noted some things that make it lots worse,  free wide angle gimbals,  multiple drives, multiple rudders seem to be a kraken invite,  and there are usually signs that things are going bad, with the LBP craft the stern always drops just before it takes off.  

Do you get runaways? during a turn speed gradually increases to way above the cfg max allowed, much like the hull is surfing a physics wave.  I've a feeling the launches and runaways are caused by  the way the buoyancy force is calculated and applied, our vessels sit much deeper than Squad have allowed for, in the phys cfg  you can see that it's only 200mm below the surface that maximum buoyancy is applied and reduces the less hull is in the water (whats a lerp???) ,  typically LBP has over 2mtr draft  so 1800mm past maximum buoyancy effect, that's a hell of a lot of force trying to push a several hundred mtr craft out of the water

First time I tried this mod the ship worked fine... until I landed a plane on it, and exited to the Space Centre.
When I came back to the ship, with the plane still parked on it, the ship refused to move with the speedometer stuck at 2 m/s. Leaving it running for a while didn't change that, because I'm well aware of the slow acceleration of the behemoth. :wink:

Is this because I left the plane untethered (through KIS/KAS)? Or could I just have run into a minor glitch in the matrix, getting it stuck in the water?

I haven't had time to try again, to see if it happens every time. So I won't blame you if the answer is "go find out". :P

27 minutes ago, Melfice said:

First time I tried this mod the ship worked fine... until I landed a plane on it, and exited to the Space Centre.
When I came back to the ship, with the plane still parked on it, the ship refused to move with the speedometer stuck at 2 m/s. Leaving it running for a while didn't change that, because I'm well aware of the slow acceleration of the behemoth. :wink:

Is this because I left the plane untethered (through KIS/KAS)? Or could I just have run into a minor glitch in the matrix, getting it stuck in the water?

I haven't had time to try again, to see if it happens every time. So I won't blame you if the answer is "go find out". :P

You've got it. It sounds like you were actually lucky - leaving one craft perched on another normally leads to explosions - maybe the physics easing in 1.2 helps prevent the more violent results.

Until the hangar mod is incorporated, either stash a hangar on board to load the plane into or devise a docking system. You can use docking ports or the Klaw. Infernal Robotics or the Konstruction mods may come in handy.

14 minutes ago, colmo said:

You've got it. It sounds like you were actually lucky - leaving one craft perched on another normally leads to explosions - maybe the physics easing in 1.2 helps prevent the more violent results.

Until the hangar mod is incorporated, either stash a hangar on board to load the plane into or devise a docking system. You can use docking ports or the Klaw. Infernal Robotics or the Konstruction mods may come in handy.

Thanks for the answer.

I do have KIS/KAS installed, but naturally didn't have parts on me to anchor it when I tried landing on the carrier.

Cheers!

When trying to turn carrier just goes in a diagonal direction. I have 2 rudders and 4 engines as far back as you can get without it looking wacky. Any ideas whats causing this? 

I mean i know its not going to turn on a dime but it cant be this bad...

Edited by Mark Kerbin

40 minutes ago, Mark Kerbin said:

When trying to turn carrier just goes in a diagonal direction. I have 2 rudders and 4 engines as far back as you can get without it looking wacky. Any ideas whats causing this? 

I mean i know its not going to turn on a dime but it cant be this bad...

Try 4 engines and 4 rudders. That's how my carrier is setup. Also when turning the boat does tend to slide more than actually turn.

17 hours ago, V8jester said:

Try 4 engines and 4 rudders. That's how my carrier is setup. Also when turning the boat does tend to slide more than actually turn.

Will Do 

Rudders In front Or Behind Engines?

Managed To Turn About 45 degrees over 40 Km Sheesh...

No Offense Esk but can we make it a bit more realistic ? Or less depending on how you think about it

Turns Much Better After I Remove Half The Fuel

Edited by Mark Kerbin

13 minutes ago, Mark Kerbin said:

Will Do 

Rudders In front Or Behind Engines?

Managed To Turn About 45 degrees over 40 Km Sheesh...

Put some rudder under the hull to act as a keel. I'm  thinking of making a keel part to help with turning.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.