[1.3.1] Carrier Vessel Expansion (CVX) [ver 0.13.1]

Eskandare

On 1/2/2017 at 6:53 PM, iplayksp said:

hey can i upload a craft file to kerbalx of the carrier if so can i use one of your album images

by all means, it will be compatible in all future updates as the part names will remain the same.

I found an issue with the mod. Some parts weren't showing up and the only ones that were was the engine and the rudder.  So I re-installed and I'm still only seeing the engine and the rudder. No hull, no island superstructure. Nothin

EDIT: NVM LOL

Edited by Combatsmithen

• 2 weeks later...

Update: My work load should be decreasing, as of recent I've been working on integrating Hanger support for the lower carrier deck and cutting up collider meshes for the Wasp and Kuznetsov class carriers, textures are still being worked on. Also an MM patch or a separate config for the catapults in the Aircraft Carrier Accessories mod so the cats are the length of the UV map texture where they are supposed to be. I highly recommend Aircraft Carrier Accessories for use with CVX. Other updates will be a the rudder fixed for Career Mode and maneuvering jets for turning easier (RCS).

Additionally KRX (Kerbal Rotor Expansion) will have two new folding rotor masts for stowing your carrier based helicopters. 

On 1/22/2017 at 4:59 PM, mechanicH said:

For some reason the Rudder does not show up... i see all other part only thing missing is the rudder,,, i even went into the cfg to make sure im searching for the right part...can you give me some input as to how i can make this work.

It is a typo in the config, under techrequired it say Start it should be a lower case 's'.

7 hours ago, Eskandare said:

Additionally KRX (Kerbal Rotor Expansion) will have two new folding rotor masts for stowing your carrier based helicopters. 

Can't wait for this. That's going to be a great addition to the krx pack. Will that be a separate download or will it be included in the Cvx. 

1 hour ago, mechanicH said:

Can't wait for this. That's going to be a great addition to the krx pack. Will that be a separate download or will it be included in the Cvx. 

It's included in KRX, refer to my signature at the bottom of my posts.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/14/2017 at 1:58 PM, Jorelo said:

I have a bug where when i get close to my aircraft carrier it disappears.

Are you using FAR (the 1.2.2 dev build on git)?  I've narrowed it down to FAR causing the problems I've been having with this carrier (vessel disappears either when reaching physics-load distance in another vehicle or when approaching within a few meters in another vehicle; vessel's top speed is ~0.2 m/s) and also the unrelated but extremely relevant Carrier Accessories mod (adding OLS to vehicle in hangar causes game to hang).  I assume if you check the tracking station afterward the carrier is "splashed down at the sun"?

Hopefully FAR for 1.2 will be "officially" released soon and then these issues can be resolved from one side or the other.  If you're not using FAR you just get the standard response: it must be some other mod interaction.

• 2 weeks later...

This is pretty fantastic, and I'm loving having a mobile launch platform to toodle around the oceans with :D

A couple tiny thoughts:

1) Is there a reason the engines have to be separate from the base hull? Actually attaching them is a bit of a challenge. Unless you intend that the part will be reused a lot, is there anything stopping it from being integral to the hull?

2) Does anyone have/know of some kind of connector to use to grab the ship and not have it hit the ground when using HyperEdit etc for deployment? The timing can be awful tight. :wink:

On 3/5/2017 at 1:05 AM, Lammet said:

It's cool but when I use hyperedit to go in the water the cockpit/bridge disappears, help?!?!?!

Sounds like you need to turn on autostrut or use KJR.

On 19/09/2016 at 11:32 AM, King Something said:

Nice boat.

That's all you have to say? Like, you see a MASSIVE aircraft carrier- a SHIP THAT CARRIES PLANES-, weighing tens of thousands of tons, and all you say is "nice boat"? That's like flying over Jupiter's red spot in low Jovian orbit and commenting "nice spiral": quite an understatement.

I can imagine the poker face you had on when you typed that comment.

2 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

That's all you have to say? Like, you see a MASSIVE aircraft carrier- a SHIP THAT CARRIES PLANES-, weighing tens of thousands of tons, and all you say is "nice boat"? That's like flying over Jupiter's red spot in low Jovian orbit and commenting "nice spiral": quite an understatement.

I can imagine the poker face you had on when you typed that comment.

'Twas a reference to a certain meme that involves ocean-faring vessels, among other things. If you don't understand, lucky you.

That said, this is a good mod, as are all of this author's mods.

• 3 weeks later...

Problem: the nimitz tower does not stick to the hull. no matter what it wont work. when launcingh the craft it instantly separates from the hull even with a raidal attachment under it but when i put a stock cockpit on the attachment it works so i suggest adding a node to the bottom and maybe add one on the hull as well for a working connection.but its still an amazing mod.

Edited by Dark_Derp
forgot something

12 minutes ago, Dark_Derp said:

Problem: the nimitz tower does not stick to the hull. no matter what it wont work. when launcingh the craft it instantly separates from the hull even with a raidal attachment under it but when i put a stock cockpit on the attachment it works so i suggest adding a node to the bottom and maybe add one on the hull as well for a working connection.but its still an amazing mod.

This is likely due to the part masses involved, Its is recommended that you use KerbalJointReinforcement on any large vessels, KSP has problems with huge masses, and was never coded to cope with vessels weighing many thousands of tonnes

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone that's downloaded this and doesn't want to spend the whole thread trying to figure it out.

4 engines at the back, 4 rudders infront of those, then 3 at the front. Take all the liquid fuel out of the ship because it's flat out too heavy to move. Click the ship to start the reactor, wait for the steam to build up, then push forward and back until it finally starts moving. To go straight keep throttle at a quarter, then to turn increase the throttle to max.

Use VesselMover Continued to get the ship into the water, hyper edit seems to screw it up. And you need Airpark to stop the ship and go back to KSC

This weekend I'm going to edit to cfg file so every part is half the weight, so I'll edit this if it works. 

Thanks for the mod, once it starts going it an amazing ship!

Edited by reducing
Missed a part

On 4/30/2017 at 0:05 PM, Hellbrand said:

Not sure how, and search turned up nothing, I apologise  but I'm curious if there's any easy way to park my fight... I mean High Speed Scientific Research Aircraft on the deck of my carrier.

You can use KAS pipes. Have an engineer go outside and place one port on the deck and one port on the aircraft. It makes it a bit more realistic too, as they would have to physically go out and strap it down.

Also @Eskandare, is there any news on an update? Better rudders? The shipyard you show in your screenshots yet never released?

Not asking for you to push it out the door (so mods please leave me alone), I'm just wondering what's been done in the few months since it's last been updated.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.