Fighter Jet Speed Test

2 hours ago, red dragon areospace said:

Here is my (somewhat late) entry, the Phoenix 3. (1 and 2 had... issues.)

Top speed is 1956 m/s

Top G load was 21

9 parts

Cheats (infinite fuel and ignore max temp)

1977 points

I don't know if this matters but only the cockpit survived the water landing

nXNS8Lm.png2D6KKB8.png

So, from the look of it, this is a single-engine, correct?

Also, It isn't really late; I am planning on closing this down on December 31st, so you have plenty of time.

Edited by DarkOwl57

NOTICE, ATENCIÓN, AVIS, AUFMERKSAMKEIT, ΠΡΟΣΟΧΉ, TOKANGA, ശ്രദ്ധ, ध्यान, UPPMÄRKSAMHET, OPMÆRKSOMHED, OPMÆRKSOMHED (Why did I put Spanish, French, German, Greek, Maori, Malayam, Hindi, Swedish, Danish, and Norwegian here????)

(Thank god for google translate)

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

I will close this on December 31st, when I will start writing a war story, using the Top 5 planes from each of the categories!!! MAKE SURE TO GET THEM IN!

@TheEpicSquared @swjr-swis @tjsnh Thank you guys for actually posting stuff on here; It means a lot to me.

Edited by DarkOwl57

9 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

(Why did I put Spanish AND French here????)

Careful now... tensions are already high, and wars have started over less. Two very distinct languages, thank you very much.

Question may be more: why did you neglect to add German, Greek, Mandarin, Sumerian, High D'Haran...?

6 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

Careful now... tensions are already high, and wars have started over less. Two very distinct languages, thank you very much.

Question may be more: why did you neglect to add German, Greek, Mandarin, Sumerian, High D'Haran...?

ON IT!

4 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

And Maori, Malayam, Hindi, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian... :P 

15 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Does anyone else want to add a language? I have Google translate up for all who want to add some.

Pff Google... they don't even have Klingon in the list (Bing has it...).

1 hour ago, reachmac said:

Hi i am new to this and i was wondering if the speed and the G's experienced need to be in the same run.

It's not been explicitly stated in the rules, but from looking at the entries, everyone seems to have treated it that way. I have some screenshots of separate higher top speeds and Gs that I did not submit due to them being on separate runs.

That said, the rules do not outright dismiss it, so if you have a nice design that reached some really good numbers and you want to show them, go ahead: worst thing that can happen is @DarkOwl57 will say it can't be on the board (and specify the rule).

On 10/8/2016 at 8:02 AM, reachmac said:

Hi i am new to this and i was wondering if the speed and the G's experienced need to be in the same run.

Thanks.

Same run

Thanks for the question! Because it hadn't been discussed before, I can understand your confusion.

On 10/8/2016 at 9:18 AM, swjr-swis said:

It's not been explicitly stated in the rules, but from looking at the entries, everyone seems to have treated it that way. I have some screenshots of separate higher top speeds and Gs that I did not submit due to them being on separate runs.

That said, the rules do not outright dismiss it, so if you have a nice design that reached some really good numbers and you want to show them, go ahead: worst thing that can happen is @DarkOwl57 will say it can't be on the board (and specify the rule).

Yeah, I just blatantly forgot lolol

Edited by DarkOwl57

On 26/09/2016 at 4:38 AM, max_creative said:

Too bad no mk2... At least I'm good at making things go really fast and overheat and explode and cause Kessler syndrome in the atmosphere. That actually happened. I am never going to attempt to do a midair docking at supersonic speeds...

Tell me about it. I ripped my (very expensive) tanker plane and a wing of F-15's to pieces after the lead fighter spontaneously tore apart midair, sending pieces of debri slamming into the other planes in the wing. That pretty much caused a chain reaction of detonating planes and ammunition, killing everything except my humble little F-16. It was trailing behind and I managed to dodge a few pieces of debri before peeling off and flying back to the KSC. I (very stupidly) invested a ton of money into those planes for research and after that my career save went bankrupt and I had to (shame on me) cheat some money in. That taught me to try things out in Sandbox before fast tracking them to my career save.

Geez, this could go under mission reports...

Anyways, I need to try this!

I have two related questions: How much of the plane has to survive, and does the G-force from exploding counts? Because if the rules ain't too strict about that, I have an entry:

Spoiler

Twin-engine, no cheats: 1828 m/s + 104.9 G + 5 = 1937.9 points

Twin-engine, cheats: Broke the 2 km/s threshold at 2017.5 m/s + 13.4 G = 2030 points. And here I thought rapiers were useless past about 1850 m/s.

Both are in the same video, first no cheats, then with cheats:

Edited by Eidahlil
Put the invalid entry into a spoiler

On 10/23/2016 at 0:29 AM, AccidentsHappen said:

Tell me about it. I ripped my (very expensive) tanker plane and a wing of F-15's to pieces after the lead fighter spontaneously tore apart midair, sending pieces of debri slamming into the other planes in the wing. That pretty much caused a chain reaction of detonating planes and ammunition, killing everything except my humble little F-16. It was trailing behind and I managed to dodge a few pieces of debri before peeling off and flying back to the KSC. I (very stupidly) invested a ton of money into those planes for research and after that my career save went bankrupt and I had to (shame on me) cheat some money in. That taught me to try things out in Sandbox before fast tracking them to my career save.

Geez, this could go under mission reports...

Anyways, I need to try this!

Ouch

Yeah, trying things out in sandbox is SOOOOO much better, because you lose nothing in case (Censored) hits the fan.

8 hours ago, Eidahlil said:

I have two related questions: How much of the plane has to survive, and does the G-force from exploding counts? Because if the rules ain't too strict about that, I have an entry:

Twin-engine, no cheats: 1828 m/s + 104.9 G + 5 = 1937.9 points

Twin-engine, cheats: Broke the 2 km/s threshold at 2017.5 m/s + 13.4 G = 2030 points. And here I thought rapiers were useless past about 1850 m/s.

Both are in the same video, first no cheats, then with cheats:

If the cockpit survives, the test continues, and no, exploding G-force Doesn't count.

Edited by DarkOwl57

6 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

If the cockpit survives, the test continues, and no, exploding G-force Doesn't count.

That's only fair. After retrofitting the Screamy 1 with an AIRBRAKE (and calling it the Screamy 2), Jeb managed to survive the aftermath of a violent thermal failure, also known as the front of the airplane melting off. It did require some graceful aerial maneuvers on his part.

Managed to reach 1834 m/s before losing the nose. The end screen shows a lot of G, but it all comes from the nose melting off and the plane suddenly decelerating due to increased drag. The actual maneuverability is negligible at high speed. No cheats used. Twin-engine plane.

If someone wants to give it a spin or double check something, here's the craft file.

Edited by Eidahlil
Added craft file

17 hours ago, Eidahlil said:

That's only fair. After retrofitting the Screamy 1 with an AIRBRAKE (and calling it the Screamy 2), Jeb managed to survive the aftermath of a violent thermal failure, also known as the front of the airplane melting off. It did require some graceful aerial maneuvers on his part.

Managed to reach 1834 m/s before losing the nose. The end screen shows a lot of G, but it all comes from the nose melting off and the plane suddenly decelerating due to increased drag. The actual maneuverability is negligible at high speed. No cheats used. Twin-engine plane.

If someone wants to give it a spin or double check something, here's the craft file.

Yeah, RUD's can "Cause minor problems in the fact that you may or may not lose your life." -Jebediah Kerman © 2016

18 hours ago, Eidahlil said:

My gosh I just watched the video, and HOW THE ACTUAL (Censored) DID YOU NOT DIE THERE?????

Limited to 75 parts? Hmm... I might have to enter the Volta if I can get it up to speed:

CBL61fJ.png

It reaches mach 1 under 2k but I haven't tested it high up enough to see if it reaches mach 2. It's by far the most maneuverable plane I've built. I only had a picture of the VTOL variant handy but there's a sleeker jet variant with downward tilted wings, dual tail fins and only the two engines.

Twitch highlight of the VTOL Volta

Edited by Avera9eJoe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.