1.2 no relay connection

Hi,

I have put 3 sats in orbit to create a geo synced network.
Two of them have connection with ksc, the third has no connection. Why is it not connected with the other in relay.

Some pics;
http://imgur.com/zgITZbA
http://imgur.com/qER8Tiu

How is this working? And what do i miss?

edit; iam using Kerbal engineer as mod

Edited by ycen

The third one isn't in range of the other 2...

try to make them them a perfect as possible in a triangle or place extra antennas wich point at the craft.

For a perfect triangle, launch a rocket with the 3 sats in a orbit which is exacly 4 hours. (2/3 of a kerbal day) with the a apoapis of  2 863 334.06m

so roughly 2863,3 km.

launch every orbit a sat and this way you have you triangle. 

Make sure your sat can complete the burn

@DrLicor - Antennas don't have to point anywhere in the stock commnet functionality.

@ycen - Welcome to the forums! :) One thing you have to pay attention to is that not all antennas can act as relays. Some only allow direct connections. I haven't had time to memorize all of the models yet, but I notice that in your screenshot, there are no connections between your satellites at all. Connections only go towards the ground station. This leads me to suspect that you might have installed an antenna that is only capable of direct connections on your satellites.

Edited by Streetwind

58 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

This leads me to suspect that you might have installed an antenna that is only capable of direct connections on your satellites.

This. You've installed regular antennas, not relay dishes. They are only capable of communication, not of signal redicrection.

I made that mistake too, after too much RemoteTech. The first relay dish unlocks at 160 science (a bit late if you ask me)

Edited by kreutzkevic

1 hour ago, kreutzkevic said:

This. You've installed regular antennas, not relay dishes. They are only capable of communication, not of signal redicrection.

I made that mistake too, after too much RemoteTech. The first relay dish unlocks at 160 science (a bit late if you ask me)

Thanks to all the reply's!

I always used remote tech. But as you can see in the next picture; The small disc you get at the beginning says "relay
http://imgur.com/3YaIhvA

And this is the sat; http://imgur.com/zgITZbA

And this is how they are apart; http://imgur.com/htr5fi2
The sat without the coms is in the middle of the screen (hard to see on pic)

19 hours ago, DrLicor said:

The third one isn't in range of the other 2...

try to make them them a perfect as possible in a triangle or place extra antennas wich point at the craft.

For a perfect triangle, launch a rocket with the 3 sats in a orbit which is exacly 4 hours. (2/3 of a kerbal day) with the a apoapis of  2 863 334.06m

so roughly 2863,3 km.

launch every orbit a sat and this way you have you triangle. 

Make sure your sat can complete the burn

Thanks for the reply. But  they are in range! :)  http://imgur.com/htr5fi2

I'm getting signal relays with communicatron 16s and the first folding antenna(HG-5) like the OP has on their probe. I'm assuming all antennas are extended.

Edited by Reactordrone

2 hours ago, ycen said:

Why does the relay works around Mun. But not around Kerbin?

Probably because there's a direct connection to one of the ground stations. There's no need to use a relay then.

I'm beginning to wonder what the point would be of a sat network around Kerbin itself, other than to compensate for the Mun occlusion when interplanetary. And even then that could be compensated by a network around the Mun

Well, I suppose you could play with the extra ground stations off. That would make relays necessary.

Edited by kreutzkevic

3 hours ago, ycen said:

Thats what i did. 
And as you can see in the pictures, its not working

I did some tests.

It only happens with the HG-5 for me. The other relays work fine. The HG-5 doesn't seem to relay properly within Kerbin SOI.

BUT

After I removed the few mods I forgot I had installed, everything worked properly...

Among those mods was Kerbal Engineer, which hasn't been updated for 1.2 yet.

I think we found the culprit.

I did some tests.

It only happens with the HG-5 for me. The other relays work fine. The HG-5 doesn't seem to relay properly within Kerbin SOI.

BUT

After I removed the few mods I forgot I had installed, everything worked properly...

Among those mods was Kerbal Engineer, which hasn't been updated for 1.2 yet.

I think we found the culprit.

Yes Thats it.
Never thought KER could do this. Very strange.  

THANKS!!!

38 minutes ago, ycen said:

Yes Thats it.
Never thought KER could do this. Very strange.  

THANKS!!!

There is a test build of KER for KSP 1.2 available.  You need to get it directly from GitHub but it is explained in this post and a couple of followups.

9 hours ago, kreutzkevic said:

BTW, did you have any other mods installed?

Nope. Thats it, only KER.
And i used the 1.2 test build. Direct from Github.

There a lot of strange things going on with KER
Yesterday i tried to dock. And when i did the ship rotated 180 degrees...... and crash ofcourse. :( 

Edited by ycen

• 2 weeks later...

I got the same issue here. No comms with the HG-5 antennas. They are deployed and in geostationary orbit around Kerbin. All 3 are powered properly with solar panels and stuff. None are hibernating. Still not getting signal between ground stations ( Lost of signal when passing between the KSC and the next eastward ground station ) when launching probes with antennas and a lvl 3 tracking station.

It clearly states relay on this antenna , yet it doesn't relay Jack. This is very annoying on a " Budget Cuts" hard mode game. 

I guess I'll stay away from this antenna as it doesn't functions the way it's supposed to.

Now I have to de-orbit my COM-SAT Network and rebuild it with relay dishes. Yay.

12 hours ago, RoyalVengeance said:

I got the same issue here. No comms with the HG-5 antennas. They are deployed and in geostationary orbit around Kerbin. All 3 are powered properly with solar panels and stuff. None are hibernating. Still not getting signal between ground stations ( Lost of signal when passing between the KSC and the next eastward ground station ) when launching probes with antennas and a lvl 3 tracking station.

It clearly states relay on this antenna , yet it doesn't relay Jack. This is very annoying on a " Budget Cuts" hard mode game. 

I guess I'll stay away from this antenna as it doesn't functions the way it's supposed to.

Now I have to de-orbit my COM-SAT Network and rebuild it with relay dishes. Yay.

Indeed indeed.
I thought the answer was KER. But the problem is still there. I just started a new game with no mods, hardmode and no extra groundstations!
The HG-5 antenna does work as a relay BUT not in orbit of Kerbin.

This is very frustrating.

So the bug is as it stand now;
HG-5 does not relay in orbit of kerbin (soi)
The sat : http://imgur.com/zgITZbA
The orbit : http://imgur.com/vn0a6ZQ? 

We need a new answer!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.