Different music for each celestial body

Yes. Very yes. But not limited to topic-starter's suggestion.

I say - KSP soundtrack

For example: as far as i can tell, a huge amount of my game situations completely fall into the Hans Zimmer's - No Time For Caution (Interstellar Soundtrack).

Sometimes fine and tight like instrumental version.

Sometimes epic and intense like organ version.

And so on.

Furthermore, KSP can be enriched by unique whether AAA or indie soundtrack of its own.

Gave this suggestion 5 stars.

Edited by vasya pupkin

I have a Korg M-50 synthesizer workstation and a Korg Kaossilator (and some other cool music toys) and brought up the idea of doing some original music for the game about a year ago, but I can't remember if it was on here or on the Steam forum.

Whatever the case, I'm not the greatest musician, but I'm free... lol... and it would only take a day or two to get everything set back up.

Edited by Just Jim

I think this (Excellent) suggestion comes up often enough to merit a slot in the "Links to common suggestions" thread.  I can think of about 4 threads in the last year that have discussed this topic well.  What do you think @sal_vager?

@Just Jim this is probably the thread you were referring to?

I'd love to see a talented individual work with SQUAD on this, or maybe even a group.  Hell, Stephen Van Vuuren even got the Greensborough Symphony Orchestra on board for his film "In Saturns Rings" through use of a highly successful Kickstarter campaign!  Not that I'm suggesting that that should happen, but there's definitely mileage in using music to boost immeasurably the immersion of this fine game :)

SM

Yes, very this :) 

I love the KSP music, but after a few days of any career I turn it off because it starts getting into my head due to lack of variance. Having a selection of tracks, even if they aren't tied to the different bodies, would be welcome.

I like the KSP music, it's catchy, tuneful, has a neat rhythm... but, yeh even I turn it off after a while because it's just so repetetive.

So I wouldn't ask for different music, and certainly not a premium licensed score like Holst, but a more diverse selection of tracks I back to the hilt.

6 hours ago, John FX said:

They would have to not get their music from the `royalty free` section of incompetech though...

Why? I mean, if you're referring to the royalty free music NOT being such... fair enough... but know that they got most of their already-existing music from Kevin MacLeod, whose music can be see on that site (I even hear his music used in some vids on youtube, as faint bg music).

Honestly, for me, having "more" music isn't as simple as one thinks... No offense to MajorJim!, but hearing that Mars song did NOT make me feel like that would work for a CALM, UNEVENTFUL stroll on Duna's cold, dry, desolate surface (maybe ascent/descent from Dunian Atmosphere, but nothing much else; It's a pretty niche song... most of those songs are niche-y, moreso than warranted).

I guess I'd want some differing music for Ascent/Descent, in contrast to being on Eve's/Duna's/Laythe's/Eeloo's surfaces: For example, Minmus's ascents and descents are easy and gentle, whereas Eve's are way rougher than, say, Kerbin, what with the denser atmosphere and slightly heavier gravitational pull.  It's asking for a lot, I know. Tbh, the current music, otherwise, works for the Mun and Minmus... but that could be because it's the two bodies you'll be on mostly, at the start (still, maybe something lightly anthem-y for Mun walks, and something light and bouncy for Minmus walks and jumps, would be neat).

Edited by Dire_Squid

3 hours ago, Dire_Squid said:

Why? I mean, if you're referring to the royalty free music NOT being such... fair enough... but know that they got most of their already-existing music from Kevin MacLeod, whose music can be see on that site (I even hear his music used in some vids on youtube, as faint bg music).

More that it would need to be music written for the game rather than music you can hear all over the place, it`s a bit amateur to get the music for your game from a stock music website, and one of the cheapest at that.

OK, I know this might sound a really nuts at first, but what this game needs is a real musical superstar, as well as an astrophysicist. 
And there is one man... one of my heroes... that I'm seeing on NASA TV all the time that is both... and just might already know about KSP.

This may sound crazy, but has anyone thought about reaching out to Dr. Brian May?

Edited by Just Jim

29 minutes ago, John FX said:

More that it would need to be music written for the game rather than music you can hear all over the place, it`s a bit amateur to get the music for your game from a stock music website, and one of the cheapest at that.

Good luck funding Squad, so they can use that money to SPECIFICALLY get custom music for KSP (and not, ya know, improving gameplay, or something that takes more precedence).

19 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

OK, I know this might sound a really nuts at first, but what this game needs is a real musical superstar, as well as an astrophysicist. 
And there is one man... one of my heroes... that I'm seeing on NASA TV all the time that is both... and just might already know about KSP.

This may sound crazy, but has anyone thought about reaching out to Dr. Brian May?

Ya know, I was REALLY hoping that this would've been a video of such a scientist that COMPOSED the music... not a man that made a OMV using Freddy Mercury's music.

45 minutes ago, Dire_Squid said:

Ya know, I was REALLY hoping that this would've been a video of such a scientist that COMPOSED the music... not a man that made a OMV using Freddy Mercury's music.

What??? I'm not sure what you mean... What is OMV?

Brian was Freddie's guitarist and fellow song writer for decades, and has composed a lot on the side as well.

It was just a thought.

7 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

What??? I'm not sure what you mean... What is OMV?

Brian was Freddie's guitarist and fellow song writer for decades, and has composed a lot on the side as well.

It was just a thought.

OMV means Original Music Video (That... or I made it up after seeing AMV [Anime Music VIdeo] too many times).

Also, I had no idea that he was the guitarist in Queen. I now officially apologize, and shut mah mouf (my mouth).

2 minutes ago, Dire_Squid said:

OMV means Original Music Video (That... or I made it up after seeing AMV [Anime Music VIdeo] too many times).

Also, I had no idea that he was the guitarist in Queen. I now officially apologize, and shut mah mouf (my mouth).

No problem, I should have mentioned that part.. :wink:

I'm thinking even if he couldn't, he might know someone that can...

Edited by Just Jim

Actually I believe it was HarvesteR that composed the original KSP theme, but I could be wrong on that. 

A new, more varied, soundtrack would be a welcome addition, from whatever source, but it's not a big deal for me either way personally.

While im 100% for this suggestion, i have a much better idea...

Why not make the music system user configurable in a similar way to how GTA series made the user radio system.  You can add your own music files and place them in each planet's or situation based folder and you get your own choice of music if you want to per every situation.  I just have my own playlists i listen to when playing KSP (and kill the in game music), but a method to get customized sound in KSP would be very welcome provided it doesnt take too much away froim dev time since it isnt what id call essential (decent mucis playlists in external programs do just fine, i get plenty of violent combat music when im engaging in capital ship battles)...

I agree with adding more music, I do like most of the current ones but feel that each planet and moon deserves it's own track. That being said...

Making good music is hard, and there are what, 15 bodies in the system? So that's quite a bit of effort, but it can be done. Also, it will increase the download size quite a bit, by say 75MB or so if each song is around 5MB. Having a separate music pack would be cool though, actually as an addon it could work be fun, I'm sure among all the math-minded people around here there are quite a few musicians. If one were to make an addon using free music with an agreeable license from the web as a proof on concept that would be brilliant.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.