Has The Science Lab Changed? [1.1.3]

After taking a break from KSP around this time last year, I'm back enjoying all the KSP goodness.  But has the way the science lab handles experiments changed whilst I way away?

I used to be able to copy across the data gathered from my landing missions across to the science lab and still return that same data to Kerbin for the Science Points.  I've just built myself a new Mun orbital lab, then landed in a new Munar biome and conducted a set of experiments.  When I returned to the lab and clicked on the "flask" icon, so the scientists could get on with some research, the data seems to have vanished.  Is it still possible to use the lab as before, or is data now consumed when transfered across?  In other words, do I need to conduct two missions, one to add data to the lab and another to return data to Kerbin?

Apologies if this has been asked before.  I did a forum search, bit couldn't find anything relevant.

Yep, data is now consumed when loaded into a lab.

To get around this, I try to leave one copy of the data in the instruments, and put one copy in the a command pod.  That way you can processs one copy and send the other one back home.

Of course, that does not work if you fo multiple experiments in one trip.  Though you can add another command pod just to hold the second set of data.

FYI: This change was done because it was a little too easy to exploit science labs before. You could load the same single experiment report in to 20-30 labs and farm ridiculous amounts of science.

Now, you can still fill 20-30 labs, but at the very least you need to collect 20-30 reports for that purpose :P

Umm, that doesn't seem to quite match my experience. 

I can run experiments or load them into the lab. Then I hit the flask to create some data for processing but after that I can then still "Take Data" from the lab and fly it back to Kerbin for more sciency goodness. 

Edited by Foxster

From the sound of the experiment containers, it should be even easier to spam science into labs.  Just bring along a few dozen experiment containers and hit every biome on Minmus.  Then take your dozen experiments * (sum of all data on Minmus) and feed them into a dozen science labs.

Thanks for the information.  I guess it did make things a little too easy when you could double up the science on your landing missions.

I tend to collect science points the "old fashioned" way, by physically bringing them back home.  Then, when I'm a few points short for my next upgrade I can usually count on my orbital labs to make up the difference.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.