Devnote Tuesday: 1.2 Pre-release, the bug hunt and more!

SQUAD

tumblr_inline_odtv2ooCee1rr2wit_540.jpg

Hello everyone!

A week has passed since the open pre-release build was launched and thanks to a great number of devoted KSP players who have helped us track the remaining bugs and giving us constructive feedback, we’ve been making sure that the final release of the 1.2 Update will go as smoothly as it possibly can.

Last Thursday, during Squadcast, the Bug Hunting Contest was announced; participants were asked to make quality bug reports on the pre-release project on the  KSP’s Bug Tracker to get the chance to add a name to the kerbal or waypoint random name generator. Many good reports are coming in from those that have taken up the challenge!

Most of the developers have been very busy with the pre-release, fixing bugs, making improvements and tuning things up, but that’s not all…

Aside from the bug-tracker business, Jim (Romfarer) worked in two long awaited features we’re sure you will appreciate. For starters, two new vessel types have been added: Comsat and Plane, both with icons for the mapview. Additionally, right clicking on the staging icon will now open up the part’s action window for the part it is staging.

Bob (Roverdude) worked on other nice features, too. For example, the fairing nodes can now be toggled (and the menus are a bit prettier). Bob also continued with the biome updates (including fixing Duna, which was 90 degrees off). The rest of the biomes are still a work in progress, but we’re sure you will like the changes!

Furthermore, Brian (Arsonide) worked on giving KerbNet a lot of tooltips to help explain its features to the player, and make the map clickable as well as draggable. Moreover, landing legs now start their retraction from the current location of the suspension, which stops them from launching into the air. Brian has also given the birds at Kerbal Space Center the ability to sleep at night. Lastly, Brian was able to break up the utilities tab a bit.

Nathanael (NathanKell) worked with Sébastien (Sarbian) on trying to nail down the last bits of drift at low altitude around bodies, and they finally figured it out. The issue was that the threshold to engage our astro-scale physics helpers (Floating Origin and Krakensbane) were quite high; high enough that they were not engaging enough and were allowing errors to creep in. Nathanael  lowered their threshold to be the same everywhere now, and that fixed the given drift examples. However, that led to a reappearance of launch clamps following the vessel to orbit, so that bug was fixed, as well; now Krakensbane will not engage if there are any loaded and unpacked vessels nearby which are landed or splashed.

Nathan (Claw)  has been keeping up with the issues on the tracker (including a few things causing game crashes), digesting balance feedback, and adding a few more quality of life additions.

While Rodrigo (Roy) has been working on fixing some minor bugs but he’s also been involved in creating the Windows patches for the pre-release versions, so far only one version is being problematic but it is looking promising for the final release.

Jeremie (Nightingale) squashed several bugs reported in the pre-release and help add some polish into the gee force damage issue that was turned on recently.

Steve (Squelch), Dave (TriggerAu) and the QA team has run through a massive amount of test cases. For those that don’t know, it consists of deep, repetitive study of all things Kerbal.  The team is running through fixes at an astounding rate and adding to the polish of the game each day, really amazing progress by all involved.

Matthew (sal_vager) has also been checking pre-release reports and copying them for the devs, poking devs over legacy bugs, bothering devs with Unity issues, and generally keeping everyone on their toes with requests for feedback on his latest masterpiece. Matt also wanted to let us know that he has launched more satellites than he can count and decided to share this little poem with us:

Home a distant point of light.

Drifting, lonely this dark night.

Faint, a call from friends afar.

Data sent, burns like a star.

In minds of all, young and old.

Who look up, the sky behold.

With curiosity of endless size.

Our silicon friends become our eyes

- sal_vager

We also wanted to take this opportunity to introduce the new kid on block: Leticia (Leto), our new new lead artist! Leticia has been working in games for a while and she is super excited to be a part of the KSP family. Along with Pablo, they’ve been developing the 1.2 cinematic teaser, we hope you’ll like it!

Pablo (Paul_Amsterdam) has been working in the KSPedia with the help of Roverdude. Pablo has also been doing some cool modeling for the cinematic.

Last but not least, Nestor has some great news about the Xbox One patch! We now have the version that will enter certification this week. This version will fix the save issue Xbox One users have been reporting. We will keep you updated on the status of the certification. On the other hand we are still working on testing the PS4 patch and hopefully we’ll be able to give you an update soon.

That’s it for this week! Be sure to join us on our official forums, and don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook. The KSP subreddit is also a great place to hang out and discuss the upcoming update!

Happy launchings, Kerbonauts!

39 minutes ago, SQUAD said:
Furthermore, Brian (Arsonide) worked on giving KerbNet a lot of tooltips to help explain its features to the player...

Ooo! Ooo! Can tooltips be added to the Graphics settings, too?  KPLSTHXBYE

Oh yes, the huge unwieldy Utilities category has finally been broken down into sensible, more managable parts.  That was the first use of custom categories I did.

QZ9TWO0.png

In fact, an "Electrics" custom category was one of the first I made. :)

And does that show that the antennas are in Communication now, instead of Science?

+1 likes on new part categories for utilities.   When I started as a new player, I chose to play career first, because I was completely overwhelmed by the number of parts I saw in the toolbox in Sandbox. The number of parts "problem" just keeps getting worse, lol.

Cinematic: Please don't kill Kerbals again. They should get into all kinds of funny trouble, but always leave them a semi-plausible way "out" of a near-death situation, even if you don't show it.

Great poem, sal_vager!

Just now, basic.syntax said:

Cinematic: Please don't kill Kerbals again. They should get into all kinds of funny trouble, but always leave them a semi-plausible way "out" of a near-death situation, even if you don't show it.

Great poem, sal_vager!

I say let the Kerbal ashes rain.

I second that, great poem Sal

3 hours ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

QZ9TWO0.png

Wait, what's the "fire" category for? @Arsonide?

If he is taking feedback from a comment I made in the pre-release forums, it should contain Radiators and Heat Shields.  Looks like he did most the ones I had suggested, except cargo but oh well.  We don't actually have that build in pre-release though so no certainty he did exactly what I had said, he could have come up with his own.  Really anything to thin out utility and aero is good.

Edited by Alshain

11 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

To be honest, cargo bays fit better in Structural or Aero.

Well, I had thought between cargo bays, service bays, and fairings you had enough for a "cargo" category EDIT: Actually now that I think about it "Payload" would be a much better name /end EDIT.  Several items could fit in multiple categories, but the idea was to thin utility and aero.  But it's ok, I mean this is very good.

Edited by Alshain

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.