Can we get support for non-English keyboards now?

I'm playing on a MacBook with Swedish keyboard layout. With non-English keyboards, it's common that some default keybinds don't work (eg previous and next craft for me) and many keys are unmapped in ksp – ie they don't even register when you try to bind them (in my case, at least the keys for å,ä,ö, and ').

This has been a reported bug for over 3 years, and I was hoping bringing some light to how serious of a problem it is might push it up the bug list.

Couldn't agree more. I'm also in a non English Keyboard ( Portuguese ) and suffer from the exact same issues: some native keybindings do not work ( exactly the same one you mention, next and previous craft in flight view ) and special chars are not even usable ( in my case ç ). Ok, unlike olden days we have a significant latitude in remapping keybinds, but it is still a issue .

Key mapping should really go by the physical key on the keyboard, not by what the locale's keyboard layout does with it. How does it look on a French layout? Does the first row map to "yaw left, max thrust, roll right" and continue from there?

9 hours ago, r_rolo1 said:

Couldn't agree more. I'm also in a non English Keyboard ( Portuguese ) and suffer from the exact same issues: some native keybindings do not work ( exactly the same one you mention, next and previous craft in flight view ) and special chars are not even usable ( in my case ç ). Ok, unlike olden days we have a significant latitude in remapping keybinds, but it is still a issue .

I want to create my "Estação Espacial"!

2 hours ago, Draradech said:

I thought this is already the case? Next / Last vehicle in flight is next to the backspace key, even if the symbol on there is not ]. For me its ', but the function works like expected.

Does not work like that with finnish keyboard. One needs to use AltGr+8/9, which are the combinations for [ and ] respectively.

As French, my main issue is to redo the whole key mapping at each release. As in most games, it's quite quick to reset QWERTY keys, in KSP, there are many instances of forward/backward/roll/slide... (ship, eva, rover, ...) This is a pain.

In the end, I keep the previous settings file at the risk of crashing the game.

Even though I'm lucky in that I'm a native English speaker, with a standard UK English keyboard, I can see that it's  quite a different experience for those not in the same position.  So yes, I whole heartedly support any features that make this wonderful game easily accessible for as many people as possible. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.