[1.12.x] EVA Parachutes & Ejection Seats (with sound & multiple parachutes)

linuxgurugamer

I am happy to announce that a beta release of this mod is now available

You can get it here: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/EVAParachutesAndEjectionSeats/releases

Source: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/EVAParachutesAndEjectionSeats

License: Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License

Patreon.png

https://www.patreon.com/linuxgurugamer

This mod provides parachutes for all Kerbals on EVA, and ejection modules, to be able to eject all kerbals from a craft in an Abort sequence

There are two parts for the ejection, a 1 person and an 3 person module.   Obviously, the 1 person module can eject a single Kerbal, and the 3 person can eject up to 3 Kerbals.

To use, place the ejection module on the crew cabin desired.  If you have more crew than the module can handle, you can place multiple modules in order to be able to eject all the crew.

You can change the parachute model by right-clicking on the ejection module and selecting the desired parachute.  At this time there is no difference between them, it is merely a cosmetic change

Weight and cost for each ejection module is calculated based on whichever is lower of the following:

•     The size of the ejection module
  •     The MAX crew that the crew pod can support.

Research Supersonic flight for the 1 person Ejection Module
Research High Altitude Flight for the 3 person Ejection Module

-The ejection module activates with the abort action group (backspace or mouseover the altimeter, then the red button to the left), but you can of  course put it into any other action group, too

-To deploy chutes, either use the Kerbal's context menu or press Jump and  Use (Space+F). Jump+Use has the advantage of opening chutes on all Kerbals  in range (good for mass ejects), but you may have to hold it down for a  short time or it won't work (not sure why)

This is a revivial of the old EVA Parachutes.
 All models have been replaced with new art provided by "SpannerMonkey(smce)"

K2juzJu.png

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Hi, happy new thread :)

Thanks for fixing this up, it's been sorely missed. With an eye to the future, if you could find a way to extend the types of chute, so that varied models or designs could be chosen, I'd be more than happy to convert all the other SM Chutes to VNG parts and make them available through this mod.  I stil haven't had a chance to test it, just finishing off the unity work on another project, will be sure to report back though.

Cheers

Huzzah! This was always a blast to play with. And a hell of a surviver as far as the number of patches it's made it through... Glad to see it through one more, kudos!

It's a shame about the original part description text: My japanese is pretty awful, but the text was a riot regardless :D (Although slightly redundant, I suppose, on re-reading it!)

Edited by komodo

4 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi, happy new thread :)

Thanks for fixing this up, it's been sorely missed. With an eye to the future, if you could find a way to extend the types of chute, so that varied models or designs could be chosen, I'd be more than happy to convert all the other SM Chutes to VNG parts and make them available through this mod.  I stil haven't had a chance to test it, just finishing off the unity work on another project, will be sure to report back though.

Cheers

SM Chutes?

That's not a problem.  Do the conversions and get me the models, it's easy enough to be able to rotate through each.  Would be helpful if the name was descriptive, since there won't be a way to preview a parachute in the Editor.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

I'm sure this will be helpful for airplanes. Thanks for fixing it up for 1.2!

Is the short delay after the kerbal appears at the hatch and them rocketing away intentional? Could that be reduced?

Also, you might consider adding an ejection sound and/or rocket effect. Here are two youtube videos for reference material, one with sound and the other showing a short clip from Gemini testing.

Edit: Hrm, when launch clamped on the pad there is no delay.

Edit 2: Another idea: add some divergence to the ejection trajectory so multiple kerbals don't make a perfect parachute tower. Also, is it impossible to make the ejection parts act as hatches where kerbals come out, to allow for multiple simultaneous ejections? I'm guessing you'd have to have the hatches built into the crew containing parts but I might as well ask!

Edited by kingosci

12 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

SM Chutes?

That's not a problem.  Do the conversions and get me the models, it's easy enough to be able to rotate through each.  Would be helpful if the name was descriptive, since there won't be a way to preview a parachute in the Editor.

I've gotten the code written and tested, all I need are the additional models.

6 hours ago, kingosci said:

I'm sure this will be helpful for airplanes. Thanks for fixing it up for 1.2!

Is the short delay after the kerbal appears at the hatch and them rocketing away intentional? Could that be reduced?

Also, you might consider adding an ejection sound and/or rocket effect. Here are two youtube videos for reference material, one with sound and the other showing a short clip from Gemini testing.

Edit: Hrm, when launch clamped on the pad there is no delay.

Edit 2: Another idea: add some divergence to the ejection trajectory so multiple kerbals don't make a perfect parachute tower. Also, is it impossible to make the ejection parts act as hatches where kerbals come out, to allow for multiple simultaneous ejections? I'm guessing you'd have to have the hatches built into the crew containing parts but I might as well ask!

1.  The delay is KSP keeping the kerbal on rails for 1 2/3 second, nothing I can do about it

2.  When on the ground, no need for rails, which is why it is instantaneous

3.  Divergence is dangerous.  It is designed to eject the kerbal directly away from the hatch/ladder, to avoid hitting anything else.

4.  Multiple ejections are not doable, again, due to the rails issue.  Also, the hatches issue which you mentioned.

Thanks for the sounds, I'll see what I can do.

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

1.  The delay is KSP keeping the kerbal on rails for 1 2/3 second, nothing I can do about it

2.  When on the ground, no need for rails, which is why it is instantaneous

3.  Divergence is dangerous.  It is designed to eject the kerbal directly away from the hatch/ladder, to avoid hitting anything else.

4.  Multiple ejections are not doable, again, due to the rails issue.  Also, the hatches issue which you mentioned.

Thanks for the sounds, I'll see what I can do.

Thanks! I figured it would be something like that.

Here is a very important video on ejections that I'm sure would be helpful for anyone using the mod:

Spoiler

Edited by kingosci
less noisy version of the video, more modern video added

59 minutes ago, jpkerman said:

Looks good for dropping Kerbals to do ground samples and other contract stuff from a mothership.  I'm sitting out KSP till 1.2 finishes pre-release,  I assume it works the same with or without RealChutes?

This is totally stand alone, has no connection to RealChutes

Just now, razark said:

Not sure what I'm missing here, but every time my Kerbals leave their planes, they end up plummeting to their deaths.

So far, I haven't seen a parachute open.

Me too.

When you press semi deploy or fully deploy. Parachute doesnt open.

Oh wait! found the updated version! Hopefully this works.

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/EVAParachutesAndEjectionSeats/releases

Edited by KerbalMan23

3 hours ago, KerbalMan23 said:

It works. But can you disable the thing to where when you EVA it doesn't deploy the chute automatically.

Bug fixed, grab 0.1.0.3

1 hour ago, smotheredrun said:

Hello guys.  Good work on the revival!  Have to ask though... Will this work with 1.1.3?

No, it has 1.2 specific code in it.

Sorry

I've downloaded 0.1.0.3 from git and have some issues.

1. I can only find the 3-person module. Also seems like some text display issue on the description. (text display fixed after update. Asian characters)

screenshot7.png

2. When placed it looks like this:

screenshot8.png

Then in flight it turns into this:

screenshot10.png

I'm running build 01523 (latest)

(and please maybe update OP to point to the repo or your latest version instead of v1)

EDIT: I found the new/correct parts. What is that one in my screenshots above?

Edited by Rocket Surgeon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.