[1.12.x] EVA Parachutes & Ejection Seats (with sound & multiple parachutes)

linuxgurugamer

New update: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/EVAParachutesAndEjectionSeats/releases/tag/0.1.3 

fixed bug where a single Kerbal had the ejection force continously applied

9 hours ago, tg626 said:

Fixed in 0.1.3

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Hi all pleased to announce that i have now converted all the SM Chute canopies to work within VNG there are some minor code changes to be done to activate everything but they should start appearing in your chute choices soon

The chutes that will shortly be added  are

Spoiler

squareChute2  "Para"

oF9IDrb.png

squareChute3 "Skydiver"

HcZrvyY.png

roundChute3 "Krakens eye"

Kqwdkr7.png

squareChute4 "Skydiver Red"

GZsy2cl.png

roundChute2 "tastes like vanilla"

ZL2W6DV.png

15 minutes ago, smotheredrun said:

Hello again.  Was there anything special I would need to do to get it to work in 1 1.3?  Or is it just literally download and drop into gamedata?

I have no idea, I only picked this up for 1.2

LGG

The SpannerMonkey release is now available:  https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/EVAParachutesAndEjectionSeats/releases/tag/0.1.4

16 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

Hey

I used the newest Version (0.1.5) with the newest KSP-Build. Ejection and deploy of the Parachute is ok. But it looks like the chute has no drag because my Kerbal is falling like a stone. Chute is fully deployed.

same

This is the image

254712267E76898C76C7E332F4E84C5364F81D49

Note my speed is 60 m/s

Edited by KerbalMan23

Just tried it out with 1.2pre ,
bailing out via eva and space-to-detach , and deploying chute via right-click menu on the kerbal, results in landing speeds in excess of 50m/s.
I've played around a bit with different speeds when bailing out, altitudes, attitudes, etc - most times the "landing" is splatsville :-(    though the chutes themselves ARE deploying! :-)

Am I doing something wrong, or might it be a bug?

@Cheesecake @KerbalMan23 @tjsnh Thanks for your reports, with a new build being released every couple of days it's quite difficult to keep on top of the changes rebuild and everything for the most recent build.  given that between us we've 20 mods or so :)   Normal service should be resumed shortly

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

3 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

@Cheesecake @KerbalMan23 @tjsnh Thanks for your reports, with a new build being released every couple of days it's quite difficult to keep on top of the changes rebuild and everything for the most recent build.  given that between us we've 20 mods or so :)   Normal service should be resumed shortly

Your welcome Spanner! :D

I saw the bug reports, and your post over in the prerelease modding section on the drag issues, but I didn't come for that;

I just wanted to share the perils of Jeb and Bob as they plummeted back to kerbin in their gemini, which had its parachute module overheat and depart on reentry... Luckily they were testing the parachute module as well (being Gemini, naturally), which didn't explode... 

Long story short, 3000 meters, pull the lever, and out they go... and not slowing down :( But!, apparently in this version, a 55 m/s swan dive is survivable just fine, assuming you're splashing down. I was pleasantly surprised that they lived, but I don't envy them their recovery from that splash.

Amusingly, the poor white suited souls picked to test a pad abort had a similar fate: Not enough time for the chute to deploy, but they both instantly leveled up into level 5 breakdancers when they found terra firma. "Just fine" read the official report, although both mysteriously retired soon after.

Tldr: While the current build has no drag, try to aim for the ocean for best results at the moment.

On 10/10/2016 at 8:41 PM, IronCretin said:

Can the ejection capability be added to a command pod on it's own?

Hi although I've not actually tried it with the new version and 1.2, but back in the good old days this used to work quite well when applied by MM, or of course you can just copy the module from the ejection module cfg and paste it into the pod of your choice,   in English it's basically, if the part has a command module and it doesn't already have an ejection module add one.

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)
obsolete info

20 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi although I've not actually tried it with the new version and 1.2, but back in the good old days this used to work quite well when applied by MM, or of course you can just copy the module from the ejection module cfg and paste it into the pod of your choice,   in English it's basically, if the part has a command module and it doesn't already have an ejection module add one.

Do note however that this cfg will only work for previous working builds, the method of chute operation has been changed in order to make the chutes compatible with the latest ksp build and as such the patch below may not be applicable tomorrow

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[ModuleKrEjectPilot]]:Final
{    
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleKrEjectPilot
		ejectionForce = 100
		maxUses = 1
		baseCost = 666
		baseMass = 0.1

// Following are the values for the packed parachute

//how much drag it has when fully deployed
		deployedDrag = 30

//minimum air pressure for deployment
		minAirPressureToOpen = 0.04

//x and y scale for when in semi mode... so the actual parachute area in semi mode is semiDeployedFraction^2
		semiDeployedFraction = 0.25

//thought it would be nice if the chute was higher in semi mode
		semiDeployedHeight = 1.25

//time in seconds it takes to deploy, or to go from semi to full mode
		deployTime = 0.33

Soundfile = VanguardTechnologies/Sounds/ejectionSound
		Volume = 1

}
}

It will work, the current build just ignores the deployedDrag, it now works a different way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.