[1.12.x] EVA Parachutes & Ejection Seats (with sound & multiple parachutes)

linuxgurugamer

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Either in 1.3 or the History DLS are supposed to include parachutes with Kerbals, if they do, this mod may be retired.

good point I forgot about that

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Frankly, I didn't write the patch, the mod was written to have you add the necessary parts.  If you don't like the patch, don't use it, just add the parts

hrm, maybe me saying "gripes" came off too harsh? Anyways, no offense meant towards you these are just suggestions for your consideration as current caretaker of this mod. That's all. I've already got my own workarounds in place

9 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

good point I forgot about that

hrm, maybe me saying "gripes" came off too harsh? Anyways, no offense meant towards you these are just suggestions for your consideration as current caretaker of this mod. That's all. I've already got my own workarounds in place

Apology accepted, nothing to worry about.

I'm busy working on an update to FMRS which is needed to make it work better with Stage Recovery.  It's rather intense, and I don't really have any spare time right now.

and I have 3 other things on my TODO list which need to get done by the end of the week.

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It's rather intense, and I don't really have any spare time right now.

nor was I asking for anything promptly :wink: Like I said, I have my solution I'm just making a suggestion for the benefit of anyone else who might have this issue. We're all good here :)

Edited by Drew Kerman

I have a problem which I think can be fixed by tweaking configs, but I need some advice on *how*

I'm using this with the FAR dev build which is likely the source of the issue; different aero.  I have the patch to add ejection to all command pods.  I get a test plane up in the air, I push my action group button to eject them all.. they eject, parachute semi-deploys.  Looks good!  they slow down, etc... but the chute doesn't FULLY deploy until about 200m off the ground, and that is WAY too late.  How do I fix it so the main chute opens sooner?  I tried turning min pressure down to 0.00 or 0.01 (default is 0.04), that had little to no effect.

Thanks in advance!

24 minutes ago, dudegamer11 said:

For some reason the kerbals don't eject when I press abort or backspace... help please? :confused:

That one I can help with.. you have to bind an action to the pod's "Eject Crew" function in VAB/SPH.  You could bind the abort functionality to it if you wanted to.  Also, the pods may not HAVE this functionality unless you apply the MM patch for all pods, which is done by changing the .cfg.patch file in the mod's folder to simply .cfg, and then restarting KSP.

So... what configuration variable governs the altitude at which the chutes are FULLY deployed?  A link to the source on github would also work, as I could figure it out myself that way.... :)  and maybe submit a patch; I'm pretty convinced that this is a FAR compatibility issue, but I hear FAR is juuust about done, so.. happy to contribute something if I can.

3 hours ago, CaptainAl said:

Just wondering guys, are you working with squad or just disappointed that they stole your idea?

Because as you probably know in 'Making History' personal 'chutes and ejection is becoming stock.

Neither.

Many times a mod is written because of what someone perceives as something missing in the stock game.  It's wonderful that they decided to add it, and I'll probably retire the mod once Making History is released.

12 hours ago, ss8913 said:

So... what configuration variable governs the altitude at which the chutes are FULLY deployed?  A link to the source on github would also work, as I could figure it out myself that way.... :)  and maybe submit a patch; I'm pretty convinced that this is a FAR compatibility issue, but I hear FAR is juuust about done, so.. happy to contribute something if I can.

Currently hard-coded to the following:

(vessel.heightFromTerrain < 200 

It ignores the minAirPressureToOpen, but you can try changing the deployTime to 0.1 instead of 0.33

I'll make a change to add the height-from-terrain as an option, and will also add a check for FAR which will use a higher default altitude.

Based on what you are seeing, what height should I set that to for FAR?

4 hours ago, CaptainAl said:

Just wondering guys, are you working with squad or just disappointed that they stole your idea?

Because as you probably know in 'Making History' personal 'chutes and ejection is becoming stock.

Where did you see this?

I suspect parachutes are being added to the Making History pack because cosmonauts ejected from the Vostok capsule and landed separately via parachute, and this functionality had to be added if you want to duplicate this historical mission profile.

8 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Currently hard-coded to the following:

(vessel.heightFromTerrain < 200 

It ignores the minAirPressureToOpen, but you can try changing the deployTime to 0.1 instead of 0.33

I'll make a change to add the height-from-terrain as an option, and will also add a check for FAR which will use a higher default altitude.

Based on what you are seeing, what height should I set that to for FAR?

I'm a little conservative, but I usually manually open them around 700 just to be safe.  Having it be a configurable option would solve the problem 100% and would make it compatible with any aero system since players could just tune it for what they're using.

14 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I need a default, even if I make it configurable.

Ok, it's on my list of TODOs

I'd use 700.  That's what realchute uses and it works for lighter craft, and a single Kerbal counts as "light".  maybe make it lower for Jeb and the other BadS Kerbals since they live dangerously?  ... nah, that'd be more difficult to code, I'd just go with 700.

13 hours ago, ss8913 said:

I'd use 700.  That's what realchute uses and it works for lighter craft, and a single Kerbal counts as "light".  maybe make it lower for Jeb and the other BadS Kerbals since they live dangerously?  ... nah, that'd be more difficult to code, I'd just go with 700.

Here is a beta version with the deployment height being in the config, and a MM config to set it to 700, can you please try it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n689dx3rp3tu2b/VanguardTechnologies-0.1.13-beta.zip?dl=0

and let me know how it goes?

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

let me know how it goes?

Still deploying at ~200m for me, and crashing into terrain with a nice cloud of dust. It's survivable into water though.
Sometimes they don't fully deploy at all...
Then again, I don't see the MM patch you mentioned in the archive...

Edited by steve_v
Ninjad

On 4/8/2017 at 5:18 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

I'm not doing anything with this until 1.3 drops.  Either in 1.3 or the History DLS are supposed to include parachutes with Kerbals, if they do, this mod may be retired.

Frankly, I didn't write the patch, the mod was written to have you add the necessary parts.  If you don't like the patch, don't use it, just add the parts.

If I could make a suggestion, if personal chutes become stock, could you at least keep the ejection parts up to date?  They do make punching out faster and I haven't heard anything about ejection seats being part of the DLC, just the backpack chutes. 

20 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Still deploying at ~200m for me, and crashing into terrain with a nice cloud of dust. It's survivable into water though.
Then again, I don't see the MM patch you mentioned in the archive...

Therefore the beta.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4dtqaya6nbojog4/vng-beta2.zip?dl=0

Don't worry about the files with the tildes at the end (~), they will be removed in the final release

3 minutes ago, Capt. Hunt said:

If I could make a suggestion, if personal chutes become stock, could you at least keep the ejection parts up to date?  They do make punching out faster and I haven't heard anything about ejection seats being part of the DLC, just the backpack chutes. 

I'll have to see how they implement the parachutes.  But will keep it in mind

Edited by linuxgurugamer

19 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Therefore the beta.

Ahh, that's more like it.

Your patch is just like the one I've just been playing with... I rolled my own (@deployHeight = 700), but it didn't appear to have any effect (ModuleManager.ConfigCache says my patch is taking though).
Hitting "Fully Deploy" in the kerbals context menu at ~700m works just nicely.

I have now installed the beta(2)... and I'm seeing the same. Full deployment at 200m.

Aside: It appears that chutes open all on their own now, contrary to the "Jump+Use" instructions in the OP? I'm mashing Space+f anyway...

Edited by steve_v

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.