[1.12.x] EVA Parachutes & Ejection Seats (with sound & multiple parachutes)

linuxgurugamer

1 hour ago, steve_v said:

Ahh, that's more like it.

Your patch is just like the one I've just been playing with... I rolled my own (@deployHeight = 700), but it didn't appear to have any effect (ModuleManager.ConfigCache says my patch is taking though).
Hitting "Fully Deploy" in the kerbals context menu at ~700m works just nicely.

I have now installed the beta(2)... and I'm seeing the same. Full deployment at 200m.

Aside: It appears that chutes open all on their own now, contrary to the "Jump+Use" instructions in the OP? I'm mashing Space+f anyway...

Here you go, tested (finally):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0ufhy5wxd4pcbc/vng-beta3.zip?dl=0

On 4/12/2017 at 5:18 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

I'll probably retire the mod once Making History is released.

I don't really know if you should do that. Making History is going to cost money for people that didn't play KSP before April 11, 2013.

I got this game in 2015 so I'm screwed-ish if you retire this.

(Pestering not intended :wink:)

29 minutes ago, Murican_Jeb said:

I don't really know if you should do that. Making History is going to cost money for people that didn't play KSP before April 11, 2013.

I got this game in 2015 so I'm screwed-ish if you retire this.

(Pestering not intended :wink:)

If this mod does retire when stock Kerb chutes are a thing, I'll likely convert all the models over to use whatever the stock models use,  as they will not be a straight swap module for module, the model orientation is different for VNG chutes than stock chutes.

On 4/15/2017 at 2:47 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

If this mod does retire when stock Kerb chutes are a thing, I'll likely convert all the models over to use whatever the stock models use,  as they will not be a straight swap module for module, the model orientation is different for VNG chutes than stock chutes.

Usually when companies release paid DLC there's a patch accompanying that updates things to support the DLC, sometimes adds some free things, etc... if kerbal chutes become a thing in stock, it'll probably be outside of the purview of the DLC, so 1.3+no DLC will *likely* still contain the chutes.

I installed the beta.. just overwrote what was already there... there's no adjustable height nor are the chutes opening at 700m... is there something going on where I need to delete the entire thing before installing the beta?

8 hours ago, ss8913 said:

Usually when companies release paid DLC there's a patch accompanying that updates things to support the DLC, sometimes adds some free things, etc... if kerbal chutes become a thing in stock, it'll probably be outside of the purview of the DLC, so 1.3+no DLC will *likely* still contain the chutes.

Hi really doesn't matter where  the supporting code ends up, expansion, 1.3, or whatever I'll convert them just the same. Makes no difference to me.

• 1 month later...

seems like we need more drag, with FAR enabled anyway... hitting the ground or water at 32 knots IAS is a little too much - usually the kerbal that's currently the active focus will survive, but none of the others that are unfocused will.  they end up in the KIA category.

Could it be that this does not work together with

or is it perhaps because of

btw I didn't get any exceptions written to the log or on the screen (turned that on to show them always)

I jumped out of the plane at about 1500m altitude near the coast while bad stalling happened and pressed like wild

• Space and then F
  • Space and F together

Nothing worked, just *splash* Kerbal goulash.

So I made it working by removing "EasyBoard", but got still "Through The Eyes Of A Kerbal" active.

I had to eject myself above the atlantic ocean after 30 minutes of fun with Mach 3.8, but I lost my aero brakes etc.

I floated for a few seconds, but then I began to sink ...
In this state I can't go to the SPC etc., all is redded out.

So I either have to die or to wait until I reach the ground of the ocean...
I can't use Shift to move upwards.
But I see the swimming animation when pressing W from first person view by the movement of the arms.

This mod also needs controls to be able to dive upwards.
Or something like an inflatable lifebelt.

Edit:

I just reached the ground at -351.3m, a warning says "Approaching pressure limits" - I can walk around on the ground and I can leave to SPC now...

Edited by Gordon Dry

I changed the cfg of "Through The Eyes Of A Kerbal" so that EVA in first person is no more forced.

So I can press C and I float.

Last try I did not move around as I was in the water, I just waited a minute. The kerbal rotated, was head down a short time, but floated all the time.

3 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

I changed the cfg of "Through The Eyes Of A Kerbal" so that EVA in first person is no more forced.

So I can press C and I float.

Last try I did not move around as I was in the water, I just waited a minute. The kerbal rotated, was head down a short time, but floated all the time.

Ok, so now contact that author to get a fix for the Kerbal sinking.

Thanks for figuring that out.

So in addition to the 1.3 update.. I was in the midst of testing some drag changes in the FAR MM patch for this.. I think the deployedDrag needs to be a LOT higher for FAR than it does for stock due to air density differences.. my kerbals are hitting the ground at 15+ m/s with FAR and dying, unless they're landing on water or are lucky ... when it updates to 1.3 I'll play around with the MM patch a bit more.  At present it seems KSP will explicitly crash if you try to load modules that aren't compiled against 1.3.

11 hours ago, ss8913 said:

So in addition to the 1.3 update.. I was in the midst of testing some drag changes in the FAR MM patch for this.. I think the deployedDrag needs to be a LOT higher for FAR than it does for stock due to air density differences.. my kerbals are hitting the ground at 15+ m/s with FAR and dying, unless they're landing on water or are lucky ... when it updates to 1.3 I'll play around with the MM patch a bit more.  At present it seems KSP will explicitly crash if you try to load modules that aren't compiled against 1.3.

It depends on the mod as to whether KSP will crash or not.

Regarding the drag, I hope to get this released for 1.3 later today.  

10 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 0.1.14:

Updated for 1.3

now if only FAR would update for 1.3, I could fix up that MM patch lol... KSP 1.3 completely crashes on load with the 1.2.2 FAR installed :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.