[1.12.x] EVA Parachutes & Ejection Seats (with sound & multiple parachutes)

linuxgurugamer

On 1.11.2016 at 0:49 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Just a suggestion, rather than clutter up the forum with a huge log, stick it in a Dropbox or Google Drive and just post a link (or some other method).  Also solves the copy/paste problem :D

Yeah you're probably right, and indeed i have a dropbox acc. I didn't think of it because of the late hour( and I also don't use it much). Glad you we're able to reproduce and fix it though, seems it didn't took too much of your precious time. And much thanks of course. :)

Edited by Dexter_D

On 10/14/2016 at 10:07 PM, KerbalMan23 said:

One more thing. Make it to where when parachute is deployed it instantly slows him to 4 m/s instead of slowly going to 4 m/s

But in other words. Perfect! :D

Doesn't happen in real life, won't happen here.

If it was instant, the kerbal would be killed.

22 minutes ago, bloodslayer122 said:

Whelp turns out I am using 1.2.1 is the mod supposed to be compatible for it? Or do I need to find out how to revert to 1.2? and if So how? 

The mod should be compatible for it. Try redownloading it on spacedock.

Spacedock says it's for 1.2.1. and it actually works for 1.2.1.

Maybe you have the download that has the incorrect .version file so it fools Mini AVC

Edited by Murican_Jeb

I do have a question about this mod. I installed it, but there are no parts. I do get the clickable options on the EVAed Kerbal to deploy chutes. I play in sandbox mode and prefer to set my own action group controls. Currently, I cannot find the part that will allow this. I've checked under the control category AND in the utility category. Any advice you could offer?

1 minute ago, adsii1970 said:

I do have a question about this mod. I installed it, but there are no parts. I do get the clickable options on the EVAed Kerbal to deploy chutes. I play in sandbox mode and prefer to set my own action group controls. Currently, I cannot find the part that will allow this. I've checked under the control category AND in the utility category. Any advice you could offer?

What version are you using?

On 11/2/2016 at 7:11 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Doesn't happen in real life, won't happen here.

If it was instant, the kerbal would be killed.

Actually, the Kerbal would be killed. the acceleration from the chutes would kill him

54 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

How did you install it?

12 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Drag from the zip and dropped it into the GameData folder...just as I do other mods.

You probably want the next version , 0.1.10.1

That being said, I don't understand why the parts aren't visible.  Take a look at the ModuleManager.ConfigCache (assuming it's there), maybe post it and the log so I can see it.

Thanks

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

You probably want the next version , 0.1.10.1

That being said, I don't understand why the parts aren't visible.  Take a look at the ModuleManager.ConfigCache (assuming it's there), maybe post it and the log so I can see it.

Thanks

The zip extracts as a GameData folder, not the mod folder.

@adsii1970 You probably have the folder one level too deep.

I am finding that this mod is consistently failing to deploy parachutes quickly enough for a 0:0 ejection  even though the speed the kerbals are travelling is easily slow enough to deploy the chutes. Secondly, the fully deployed state of the chutes activates far too late, often leading to kerbals hitting the floor at in excess of 15m/s because the chute didn't open until within 100m terrain altitude (this was on the KSC plain), lastly the space+f key combo does not work as far as I can tell.

Edited by DebatedNothing
Adding more issues

19 hours ago, DebatedNothing said:

I am finding that this mod is consistently failing to deploy parachutes quickly enough for a 0:0 ejection  even though the speed the kerbals are travelling is easily slow enough to deploy the chutes. Secondly, the fully deployed state of the chutes activates far too late, often leading to kerbals hitting the floor at in excess of 15m/s because the chute didn't open until within 100m terrain altitude (this was on the KSC plain), lastly the space+f key combo does not work as far as I can tell.

It won't deploy chutes if the kerbal is ascending.

My testing is from a pod on the launch pad, they have no problem having chutes open.  Maybe you have something else installed, please submit a log file.

I'll check the space+F again, but it was working last time.  Again, log file, and I would need to know what mods are installed

If you are ejecting purely horizontally, then you won't be able to survive a 0 altitude ejection, it just takes too long for a parachute to deploy.  Happens in real life also.

Have the ejector on an upward-facing surface and try it again.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

On 14/11/2016 at 4:46 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

It won't deploy chutes if the kerbal is ascending.

My testing is from a pod on the launch pad, they have no problem having chutes open.  Maybe you have something else installed, please submit a log file.

I'll check the space+F again, but it was working last time.  Again, log file, and I would need to know what mods are installed

If you are ejecting purely horizontally, then you won't be able to survive a 0 altitude ejection, it just takes too long for a parachute to deploy.  Happens in real life also.

Have the ejector on an upward-facing surface and try it again.

Full list of installed mods: BetterBurnTime, EVAStruts, JettisonFuel, KerbalEngineer, KerbalJointReinforcement, Kerbal Alarm Clock, BD Armoury, and your mod.

The ejection module is on the top side of the mark 2 cockpit. Can't get logs right now but will update the post when I do.

Get me the craft file as well, thanks

3 minutes ago, DebatedNothing said:

Full list of installed mods: BetterBurnTime, EVAStruts, JettisonFuel, KerbalEngineer, KerbalJointReinforcement, Kerbal Alarm Clock, BD Armoury, and your mod.

The ejection module is on the top side of the mark 2 cockpit. Can't get logs right now but will update the post when I do.

Get me the craft file also, please

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Ok, I got it and tested it.

First time I tested, it worked ok.  Then I changed a setting and restarted, and this time, for whateve reasons, they were ejected almost horizontally going forward.

The ejections come out of the door, not the ejector.  Try ejecting from a pod first, and then load the plane and try it again.

Depending on where you are, I can see them impacting the ground, although  when I tested on the runway, they both survived.  Try it with a Mk1-2 pod and see what happens.

If you want it to deploy faster (ie: instantly), change the deploy time in the cfg file, right now it's a 1/3 of a second

There is something strange going on with this setup.  After recovering the plane, I got the following errors in the log:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Part.updateMirroring () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Part.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Part.updateMirroring () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Part.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

And the log file  you sent has lots of exceptions for Kerbal Alarm Clock (which I didn't load for this test) and BD Armory.  I couldn't test without BDArmory since the plane has parts from it, but I did make a similar vessel and tested the same way, and didn't have a problem (after removing BDArmory)

I can't help it if other mods are generating errors, and have no way to know how those errors can be affecting other parts of the system.  Eliminate those errors from the log and I'll be happy to look at this again.

12 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I can't help it if other mods are generating errors, and have no way to know how those errors can be affecting other parts of the system.  Eliminate those errors from the log and I'll be happy to look at this again.

The issue was happening before I installed either KAC and BD Armoury, and was affecting a previous version of the plane which had no BD armoury weapons. What I am finding in testing is that the first ejectee will reliably deploy a parachute and survive, whereas the second often won't.

2 hours ago, DebatedNothing said:

The issue was happening before I installed either KAC and BD Armoury, and was affecting a previous version of the plane which had no BD armoury weapons. What I am finding in testing is that the first ejectee will reliably deploy a parachute and survive, whereas the second often won't.

Can you please get me a craft file which demonstrates this, which is as minimal as possible.  A fully stock vessel would be best, that way I won't have to worry about other mods interfering.  Log file of the same craft after a failure is also needed

Thanks

4 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

I did actually find where the problem was - for some reason, when I installed it, the folders were somehow scrambled. Went back, downloaded it again, it works perfectly now...

Thank you SO MUCH for getting back with the result and an answer.  Too often we (modders) ask a question and get no feedback .  

I'm glad it's working fine for  you now

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.