[1.12.x] EVA Parachutes & Ejection Seats (with sound & multiple parachutes)

linuxgurugamer

34 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Thank you SO MUCH for getting back with the result and an answer.  Too often we (modders) ask a question and get no feedback .  

I'm glad it's working fine for  you now

The problem was when I downloaded it from GitHub, I never bothered to check it, just dragged and dropped the folder into the GameData folder. The problem was, the only thing that GitHub had was the DLL and an empty parts folder inside a bin folder. This has happened to me once before and according to what I was told at that time by someone who knows GitHub better than I do (I have only started using it this past year), it happens whenever a download request happens at the SAME time as the file is being updated or worked on by the author... :D Talk about my sense of timing!

So, as a suggestion to those who love mods... if at first it does not work, delete the folder that is supposed to contain the mod and download it again, and install off a fresh download!

Hi,

I have added the ejection module to my Gemini pod and are currently undergoing testing at KSC. But is there a way to angel the ejection, let's say 45 degrees? Quite a lot of Test-Kerbals have made the ultimate sacrifice so far. Johyo Kerman and Gusgris Kerman refuses to fly their first mission before this is sorted.

This angle works barely:

Of3Hdvk.jpg?1

This is the MM code I've used:

Spoiler

//Add Ejection Module to Gemini Pod

@PART[bluedog_Gemini_Crew_A]:NEEDS[VanguardTechnologies]:Final
    {

@description ^= :$:. Equiped with integrated ejection seats.:

MODULE
        {
            name = ModuleKrEjectPilot
            ejectionForce = 100
            maxUses = #$../CrewCapacity$
            baseCost = 666
            baseMass = 0.1

// Following are the values for the packed parachute

//how much drag it has when fully deployed
            deployedDrag = 30

//minimum air pressure for deployment
            minAirPressureToOpen = 0.04

//x and y scale for when in semi mode... so the actual parachute area in semi mode is semiDeployedFraction^2
            semiDeployedFraction = 0.25

//thought it would be nice if the chute was higher in semi mode
            semiDeployedHeight = 1.25

//time in seconds it takes to deploy, or to go from semi to full mode
            deployTime = 0.33

Soundfile = VanguardTechnologies/Sounds/ejectionSound
            Volume = 1

}
    }

Edited by Johnny2000

2 minutes ago, Johnny2000 said:

Hi,

I have added the ejection module to my Gemini pod and are currently undergoing testing at KSC. But is there a way to angel the ejection, let's say 45 degrees? Quite a lot of Test-Kerbals have made the ultimate sacrifice so far. This angle works barely:

Of3Hdvk.jpg?1

This is the MM code I've used:

Reveal hidden contents

//Add Ejection Module to Gemini Pod

@PART[bluedog_Gemini_Crew_A]:NEEDS[VanguardTechnologies]:Final
    {

@description ^= :$:. Equiped with integrated ejection seats.:

MODULE
        {
            name = ModuleKrEjectPilot
            ejectionForce = 100
            maxUses = #$../CrewCapacity$
            baseCost = 666
            baseMass = 0.1

// Following are the values for the packed parachute

//how much drag it has when fully deployed
            deployedDrag = 30

//minimum air pressure for deployment
            minAirPressureToOpen = 0.04

//x and y scale for when in semi mode... so the actual parachute area in semi mode is semiDeployedFraction^2
            semiDeployedFraction = 0.25

//thought it would be nice if the chute was higher in semi mode
            semiDeployedHeight = 1.25

//time in seconds it takes to deploy, or to go from semi to full mode
            deployTime = 0.33

Soundfile = VanguardTechnologies/Sounds/ejectionSound
            Volume = 1

}
    }

It uses the angle of the hatch.  Looks like the hatch is pointing to the right.  Try rotating the pod 180 degrees

12 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It uses the angle of the hatch.  Looks like the hatch is pointing to the right.  Try rotating the pod 180 degrees

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean? If I rotate the pod I will only make it worse ;-)

I didn't use the ejection part. I just added it to the Pod using a module manager script.

Right now they eject pretty much perpendicular to the pod and follow a ballistic trajectory until the chute opens.

Now this will work if I use a 300 meter tall Titan rocket!

I was hoping I could add a litlle script that made the kerbals eject like 45 degrees forward. because that would solve everything.

Sorry for pestering you with this. I know you maintain like a hundred mods.

Edited by Johnny2000

2 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

The kerbal ejects using the hatch.  rotate the pod 180 degrees around the vertical Center of the pod, so that the hatch is pointing up instead of sideways.

One way to tell is to eva a kerbal.  he should be on the upper side of the pod

He he, yes I know that, But when I assemble the pod on top of a Titian rocket, ready to launch the Gemini III mission then the hatch will be on side, not the top.

And if your other mod, Kerbal Launch Failure, messes up my launch, then I need to eject them ;-)

(I have started a new career where I play hardcore with no saving or reverting, trying to replicate the NASA missions.)

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Send me a craft file to test, please

Sorry for late reply. I'm on a metered connection and my daily quota was used. Had to wait until after midnight.

Made a video:

As you see it mostly ends in tears, except the last one.

What I am trying to ask is if it is possible to make the ejection at angle of 45 degrees up of the hatch, instead of having it 90 degrees perpendicular to the hatch.

This would not only be useful for launches, but also for low flying aircrafts with the escape hatch on the side of the cockpit.

PS! Since the pod is made from two other mods and your mod, I thought a .craft file would be useless for you.

Edited by Johnny2000

Hi! This mod is a great idea. I do have a problem trying to get the chutes to deploy. Autodeploy doesn't work, neither does pressing Space + F. I'm not sure what might be the issue, I only have 1 other mod (Airplane Plus R6.0) installed.

Any help or direction with troubleshooting the issue would be greatly appreciated!

22 hours ago, Emily King said:

Hi! This mod is a great idea. I do have a problem trying to get the chutes to deploy. Autodeploy doesn't work, neither does pressing Space + F. I'm not sure what might be the issue, I only have 1 other mod (Airplane Plus R6.0) installed.

Any help or direction with troubleshooting the issue would be greatly appreciated!

Log file, please

On 11/21/2016 at 6:37 PM, Johnny2000 said:

Sorry for late reply. I'm on a metered connection and my daily quota was used. Had to wait until after midnight.

Made a video:

As you see it mostly ends in tears, except the last one.

What I am trying to ask is if it is possible to make the ejection at angle of 45 degrees up of the hatch, instead of having it 90 degrees perpendicular to the hatch.

This would not only be useful for launches, but also for low flying aircrafts with the escape hatch on the side of the cockpit.

PS! Since the pod is made from two other mods and your mod, I thought a .craft file would be useless for you.

And what defines "up" with regards to the hatch?

I would not change a thing... 

in real life positive VSI is the most crucial part of your ejection profile.  most aircraft will not allow a safe ejection from a plane sitting stationary on the ground or with a negative VSI while under a few hundred meters.  of course there are exceptions to this to allow for low level and stationary ejection.  but even so the ejection profile with a negative VSI will be from much higher altitudes. 

But you do know that the Gemini capsule had ejection seats? And that they were capable of ejecting the astronauts from the launchpad?

The argument about ejecting upwards from a side mounted hatch on the cockpits in KSP is still valid I think, since almost all ejection seats thrusts the pilot upward during an ejection.

There are exceptions. At the top of my head I can think of the Starfighter, the Valkyrie and I think the Hustler, all ejected the pilots or their crew pods downward.

all of this is true but the Gemini capsule was how high off the ground? (150 feet?)  and how high of the ground is the capsule in this video?  also the ejection seat on the Gemini fired "upward" not "outward".  this is a limitation of the part in KSP that can't be accounted for with this mod.

and as for bottom eject; this is also true...  however it does not change the fact that positive VSI was needed for safe ejection.  if you want I can link you some airforce training videos that talk about this in detail but it is all just simple physics.   on top of this the bottom eject of the F-104 was later abandon in favor of the traditional upward eject as the loss of VSI was unacceptable.

the reality is that 99% of all ejection system, no matter the direction of ejection, must have a fair amount of positive VSI for safe ejection below something like 100m.  and those, like Gemini, that can do it are very rare and very specifically designed to do this.  so what you need is not a revamp of the ejection mod, but rather a revamp of the Gemini capsule you are using to make the exit vector be upward.  I have never made a crew pod mod for KSP so I do not know what is involved in defining the hatches, but there must be some sort of vector definition to tell the game where to place the Kerbal and what direction is "out"

the problem I see with trying to artificially make Kerbals eject "up" is what happens when I design a craft that an absolute "up" will make them smash into part of the craft?  what if I need the bottom or side eject?  thus creating an artificial up component would make it fail.  I think it is better to design the craft with the limitations of the parachutes in mind, as trying to make this mod account for all the variables that go into safe ejection is far to complicated.

Edited by Bit Fiddler

I'm not gonna argue with you about what is a "safe" ejection and what most ejection seats are capable of.

Anyway, originally I wasn't asking linuxgurugamer to make a new version. I was simply just asking if it was possible for me to add a line in my MM-script that specified the direction.

Now I know it is not possible, and I leave it at that.

To find your log file:

• Windows (32-bit): See {KSP}\KSP_Data\output_log.txt
  • Windows (64-bit): See {KSP}\KSP_x64_Data\output_log.txt
  • Mac OSX: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log. Aka Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log
  • Linux: See ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal Space Program/Player.log

19 hours ago, Johnny2000 said:

I'm not gonna argue with you about what is a "safe" ejection and what most ejection seats are capable of.

Anyway, originally I wasn't asking linuxgurugamer to make a new version. I was simply just asking if it was possible for me to add a line in my MM-script that specified the direction.

Now I know it is not possible, and I leave it at that.

In case of a Abort while still at the launchPad, wouldn't be better and safer just to use a LES?

On 11/24/2016 at 0:29 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

To find your log file:

• Windows (32-bit): See {KSP}\KSP_Data\output_log.txt
  • Windows (64-bit): See {KSP}\KSP_x64_Data\output_log.txt
  • Mac OSX: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log. Aka Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log
  • Linux: See ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal Space Program/Player.log

@linuxgurugamer found it, i don't have anywhere to upload the log file to though

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.