[1.12.x] EVA Parachutes & Ejection Seats (with sound & multiple parachutes)

linuxgurugamer

6 minutes ago, NightOwl07 said:

Thanks! Space+F now deploys the chute but the kerbal still face plants. This was tested on a version of the game with only Asteroid Day installed.

I'm going to do a fresh install of the game tonight, in case something was borked along the way.

Ok.  I'll need the log file from this install, if it still fails

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

New release: 0.1.11

• Fixed problem with the Space+F key (Use + jump) not deploying parachute (0.1.5 fix got reverted somehow)
  • Added AssemblyVersion code

@NightOwl07 This should fix the Space+F, but I couldn't see any problem with the landing speed (ie:  chutes were working).  If that happens again, please try  to replicate it with a minimal install before reporting it

Thanks

Tested on fresh install with no other mods. Ejector seat works as intended. Space+F now opens the chute, however parachute does slow descent if sequence is initiated with a manual EVA. Testing done with stock aircraft.

Log file attached here. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0AjZ7cEYuHTT3NkcTJwclh6UEE

Edited by NightOwl07

Don't know if this applies, or is in any way related, but I.know in the past it seemed an unconcious Kerbal wouldn't slow down with the chute deployed.

I have no.time to test if this is happening, or if it's even real or just appeared that way.  Just thought it might give some ideas.

52 minutes ago, tg626 said:

Don't know if this applies, or is in any way related, but I.know in the past it seemed an unconcious Kerbal wouldn't slow down with the chute deployed.

I have no.time to test if this is happening, or if it's even real or just appeared that way.  Just thought it might give some ideas.

YES! This is exactly it!

Just tested, the way I used to jump my kerbal often gets hit by a wing or an engine on his/her way out, chute does not work. If I take care to avoid being struck the chute works beautifully.

I don't know if this can be done, but it might be interesting to prevent unconscious kerbals from deploying chutes with an on-screen warning message stating something to that effect.

2 hours ago, NightOwl07 said:

YES! This is exactly it!

Just tested, the way I used to jump my kerbal often gets hit by a wing or an engine on his/her way out, chute does not work. If I take care to avoid being struck the chute works beautifully.

I don't know if this can be done, but it might be interesting to prevent unconscious kerbals from deploying chutes with an on-screen warning message stating something to that effect.

You can retake control of your Kerbal activating the jet pack.

30 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Not if the kerbal is unconcious.  I'll see what I can do, maybe put up a message if you try to deploy when he is unconcious

I'm sorry, I was confusing unconcious with when they goes crazy after a collision or a fall.

52 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Thank you!  It's very important that good feedback be sent to modders, so that we can both fix the bugs and do new stuff.  This conversation was very useful, and many insights were here

Confirming that chute deployment works as intended in ejection and bailing out, and works appropriately depending on conscious vs unconsciousness.

I like how it ended up being more realistic to life in the end. Ejection module is almost a must on jets, on prop planes bailing is a fair option but definitely has its risks.

27 minutes ago, tg626 said:

Well whadda ya know, I helped! :D

Guess I should have mentioned it sooner... :blush:

I generally try to keep up with bug reports, but sometimes other work comes first.

But without knowing a problem exists, there isn't much I can do to fix it

Thanks for speaking up

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2017 at 10:50 AM, Draakon said:

Recent update (0.1.12) failing to load (update) through CKAN (1.22.1-0) for some reason.

That's a CKAN problem

2 minutes ago, evileye.x said:

Hello @linuxgurugamer

I'm not sure, was it already reported, but this mod makes external seat weight increased from 50 kg to 200 kg.

I think for normal seat applications (small rover, may be assembled in situ) having ejection module is not worth such weight increase...

Can it be optional? 

That's, ummmm, interesting.

Let me think about it, see what I can do

On 2/1/2017 at 11:13 PM, fourfa said:

Just curious, but is it feasible to patch the function of the ejection module part into all the stock command pods?  Sorry if it's been discussed before

There's a patch that comes in the download. It's named 'addEjectionToAll.cfg.patch'. If you change that to 'addEjectionToAll.cfg' it will do what you asked

• 1 month later...

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/EVAParachutesAndEjectionSeats/releases/download/0.1.12/VanguardTechnologies-0.1.12.zip    I downloaded this link and put it in GameData, Whenever I eject my Kerbals using Abort or Backspace the chutes wont deploy so I hold F and Space at the same time and still nothing happens. And Ideas to solve?

Edit: 

I have tried to deploy cute using the kerbals little "HUD" (the thing when you R.Click it )and it still didn't work

Edited by We2j

• 2 weeks later...

Does this iteration of this mod work with FAR, or only with stock aero?

UPDATE: I tested it myself.  YES, unlike previous versions of this mod, it DOES work with FAR (using latest FAR dev build).  Awesome job!

Edited by ss8913

two gripes for this mod when using the MM patch to include chutes for all command modules:

1. It assumes every seat will be filled. I understand this is a limitation of just using a MM patch, which is why I'm wondering if LGG you would be willing to make the per-kerbal usage (rather than a part) part of the DLL so a part-less setting could add the chutes (and their weight) to the command module that doesn't depend on crew seats filled since you may want to carry extra chutes. Ideally the PAW in the editor would let you add/remove the number of chutes you want to carry on board. I never really liked that this mod had a part for its chutes, but I guess the original author didn't want to get too deep into plugin coding?
  2. Under its current use, enabling the MM patch does not update the part selection window stats to show the extra mass of the chutes. For example, a craft that the part properties window shows as weighing 1.2t actually weighs 1.7t when you place it in the editor. However UpgradesUIExtensions mod, I have found, does show the proper mass when it is installed.

3 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

two gripes for this mod when using the MM patch to include chutes for all command modules:

1. It assumes every seat will be filled. I understand this is a limitation of just using a MM patch, which is why I'm wondering if LGG you would be willing to make the per-kerbal usage (rather than a part) part of the DLL so a part-less setting could add the chutes (and their weight) to the command module that doesn't depend on crew seats filled since you may want to carry extra chutes. Ideally the PAW in the editor would let you add/remove the number of chutes you want to carry on board. I never really liked that this mod had a part for its chutes, but I guess the original author didn't want to get too deep into plugin coding?
  2. Under its current use, enabling the MM patch does not update the part selection window stats to show the extra mass of the chutes. For example, a craft that the part properties window shows as weighing 1.2t actually weighs 1.7t when you place it in the editor. However UpgradesUIExtensions mod, I have found, does show the proper mass when it is installed.

I'm not doing anything with this until 1.3 drops.  Either in 1.3 or the History DLS are supposed to include parachutes with Kerbals, if they do, this mod may be retired.

Frankly, I didn't write the patch, the mod was written to have you add the necessary parts.  If you don't like the patch, don't use it, just add the parts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.