[1.12.x] EVA Parachutes & Ejection Seats (with sound & multiple parachutes)

linuxgurugamer

18 hours ago, ss8913 said:

This seems to... not work at all in 1.3.1 ... I think I may have had another mod in 1.3.0 that adds a patch to put ejection seats in all cockpits(?) but I'm not sure... what does one need to do in VAB/SPH to add ejection seats manually?

You need to add one of 2 parts, EjectionModule, or EjectionCover2A

• 1 month later...

The new stock parachutes are cool but this is still better. Playing 1.4.1 right and carrier is impossible to make planes with out reverting ya know unless I take a guy to the mun and back then he can bail out of a 4 ton starter plane. Besides a "stunt" parachute isn't appropriate for astronauts.  

1 hour ago, SpaceFoon said:

The new stock parachutes are cool but this is still better. Playing 1.4.1 right and carrier is impossible to make planes with out reverting ya know unless I take a guy to the mun and back then he can bail out of a 4 ton starter plane. Besides a "stunt" parachute isn't appropriate for astronauts.  

So you think I should continue this in 1.4.1?

23 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Another mod somewhere (maybe Custom Barn Kit?) presently allows the ability to add parachutes to Kerbals since the beginning of the game, or based on the level of a given building, all with a MM patch. I think.

IMO, if you decide you want to continue this, the neat features are:

1. Actually ejecting the Kerbals (one at a time or all very quickly), whether by action group or some other mechanism, as opposed to EVA-ing each one by hand and making them let go of the vessel. Unless there's a way to do this in stock that I haven't found; I haven't really looked carefully.

2. Causing Kerbals' parachutes to open automatically rather than having to switch between every one and right click to open the chute (possibly with configurable conditions, like X time after being flung from capsule).

EDIT: 3. Variety in chute types, maybe? That would be kind of neat too, maybe uncontrollable ones at the start, controllable ones later... Assuming that's possible. Just random thinking.

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I certainly think so.  The ability to handle the ejection and auto open (as stated above) keeps you way on top.

if there was some way to be able to +add their chute to your group is nice, but bottom line I will be using yours for sure.

cheers and thanks for ALL, i mean ALL of your work.

Don't know how you do it, but thanks from all of us.

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I had been planning on keeping the ejectors and getting rid of the chutes, but it seems like I'll keep them both

Awesome thanks! I mean if its too much work getting these to work with the new chutes just the ejectors are fine. Not sure how easy it is to make your chute type selectable and make it work with the new chute system and all that. I assume you will know if its worth your time. 

On 3/14/2018 at 4:26 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Having a variety of chutes would be nice. With the ejector of course!

On 3/14/2018 at 4:44 PM, AccidentalDisassembly said:

Another mod somewhere (maybe Custom Barn Kit?) presently allows the ability to add parachutes to Kerbals since the beginning of the game, or based on the level of a given building, all with a MM patch. I think.

IMO, if you decide you want to continue this, the neat features are:

1. Actually ejecting the Kerbals (one at a time or all very quickly), whether by action group or some other mechanism, as opposed to EVA-ing each one by hand and making them let go of the vessel. Unless there's a way to do this in stock that I haven't found; I haven't really looked carefully.

2. Causing Kerbals' parachutes to open automatically rather than having to switch between every one and right click to open the chute (possibly with configurable conditions, like X time after being flung from capsule).

EDIT: 3. Variety in chute types, maybe? That would be kind of neat too, maybe uncontrollable ones at the start, controllable ones later... Assuming that's possible. Just random thinking.

The old version (before linux picked it up) used to have a space+F auto-deploy all in range and rapid ejection via action group and ejector module.

I actually can't remember whether or not THIS version does that too because it's been ages since I last played KSP

@linuxgurugamer

CustomBarnKit does have the option to give thr pilotable chutes to all Kerbals regardless of experience. Doing this was the first thing I did upon downloading.

It would be neat to have unsteerable chutes at level 0-2 in career mode, or requiring a certain number of basic jumps before qualifying for the controlled parachute, but I understand if that's more coding than you'd really like to do.

But as for the rest of the functionality of this mod, I am in favor of it's continuation.

18 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

@linuxgurugamer

CustomBarnKit does have the option to give thr pilotable chutes to all Kerbals regardless of experience. Doing this was the first thing I did upon downloading.

It would be neat to have unsteerable chutes at level 0-2 in career mode, or requiring a certain number of basic jumps before qualifying for the controlled parachute, but I understand if that's more coding than you'd really like to do.

But as for the rest of the functionality of this mod, I am in favor of it's continuation.

That must be new.  When I looked at his version history, it says that the parachutes were added in 

v1.1.17

• Add EVAChuteOnBuilding  and unlockedEVAChute config in the ASTRONAUTS section to configure the level needed to unlock the Parachutes and if they are linked the the AstronautComplex

and, according to his Jenkins server and Github, that was built on March 10 of this year.  So, forgive me for not knowing instantly that another mod added this feature.

I wonder if he added that because of 1.4?

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

That must be new.  When I looked at his version history, it says that the parachutes were added in 

and, according to his Jenkins server and Github, that was built on March 10 of this year.  So, forgive me for not knowing instantly that another mod added this feature.

I wonder if he added that because of 1.4?

I didn't mean my statement to be remonstrative, only informational. It was newly present in the version released for 1.4, yes.

On 3/18/2018 at 7:20 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Then the mod isn't adding chutes, it's merely enabling the available chutes.

Could you, by any chance, make a mod that allows the current stock parachutes to be deployed whilst on a command seat? Please? I really want to replicate this: 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2018 at 6:45 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

I had been planning on keeping the ejectors and getting rid of the chutes, but it seems like I'll keep them both

Awesome, would love to see this mod live on in KSP 1.4.x, the ejection seats and EVA chutes are great!  Thanks!

You should continue the mod, the stock parachutes are to fast and likely to get your kerbal killed unless you are constantly checking fwd speed, the parachutes in this mod have a more realistic descent rate specially the round ones. An emergency aerodynamic decelerator is to get you down at a safe speed to the ground (between 3 to 5 M/S).  You mod allows for ejection of multiple kerbals without having to worry about controlling their descent rate.  Also it looks cool if you make a cargo plane and then drop 3 dozen kerbals out of it in your own kerbalised airborne invasion 

36 minutes ago, Rafael acevedo said:

You should continue the mod, the stock parachutes are to fast and likely to get your kerbal killed unless you are constantly checking fwd speed, the parachutes in this mod have a more realistic descent rate specially the round ones. An emergency aerodynamic decelerator is to get you down at a safe speed to the ground (between 3 to 5 M/S).  You mod allows for ejection of multiple kerbals without having to worry about controlling their descent rate.  Also it looks cool if you make a cargo plane and then drop 3 dozen kerbals out of it in your own kerbalised airborne invasion 

Released the 1.4.1+ a little while ago

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.