[1.12.x] EVA Parachutes & Ejection Seats (with sound & multiple parachutes)

linuxgurugamer

• 4 weeks later...
  1.  In:
    VanguardTechnologies-0.1.10.1\GameData\VanguardTechnologies\Parts\parachute

there file called "spannerMonkey.zip". I don't think that file needs to be in the release. 

2. I ran a fancy lossless compression algorithm over textures in your mod and managed to reduce the size by ~33%. It's called "OptiPNG", it's open source and you can get it here http://optipng.sourceforge.net/  

3 hours ago, RGBPeter said:
  1.  In:

VanguardTechnologies-0.1.10.1\GameData\VanguardTechnologies\Parts\parachute

there file called "spannerMonkey.zip". I don't think that file needs to be in the release. 

2. I ran a fancy lossless compression algorithm over textures in your mod and managed to reduce the size by ~33%. It's called "OptiPNG", it's open source and you can get it here http://optipng.sourceforge.net/  

Thanks, I'll remove that zip from the next release.

About the textures, I'll take a look at that, but need to be sure it's ok with different resolutions

4 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

About the textures, I'll take a look at that, but need to be sure it's ok with different resolutions

It works with all resolutions. Other ksp mods have used it in the past. It's lossless compression based on a combination of the LZ77 algorithm and Huffman coding. If a chunk of pixels are all 100% black it reduces the colour depth in that chunk (you don't need 32bits of colour info to define a black pixel). It also removes useless junk-bits found in the .PNG header:  

AIL4317.png

• 2 weeks later...

I love this mod. Now when I send the crew out to perform their duties, I might get most of them back intact. :wink:

Is there any way to get these to work with a Stapp seat, so they can bail out, too? I have the open cockpit mod, and discovered that when you hit the abort button, the pilot in an open cockpit leaves the plane alright, but he forgets his parachute. Every time. :huh:

Hi everyone,

Bit of a bug report, I'm using the 1.10.1 version in 1.2.2 and the chute deploys as intended without slowing anything down, my Kerbals faceplant at terminal velocity.

Log file attached. Thanks!

Edited by diomedea
log removed being fa too long. Pls only provide such logs as links to a external file repository

9 hours ago, NightOwl07 said:

Hi everyone,

Bit of a bug report, I'm using the 1.10.1 version in 1.2.2 and the chute deploys as intended without slowing anything down, my Kerbals faceplant at terminal velocity.

Log file attached. Thanks!

Please do NOT PASTE THE LOG FILE IN THE MESSAGE.

It is unusable that way, and causes problems with mobile users

Provide a link to a file, use Dropbox, Google Drive, or some other file upload service.

Thanks

On 1/6/2017 at 5:43 PM, SSgt Baloo said:

I love this mod. Now when I send the crew out to perform their duties, I might get most of them back intact. :wink:

Is there any way to get these to work with a Stapp seat, so they can bail out, too? I have the open cockpit mod, and discovered that when you hit the abort button, the pilot in an open cockpit leaves the plane alright, but he forgets his parachute. Every time. :huh:

Are you using Take Command?

4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

ok.  One thing I can say is that it looks like it is installed correctly.  So I'll take a closer look at this later this evening, please leave the files there for a few days at least

Thank you so much for looking into it!

11 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Are you using Take Command?

Yes. I'm using Take Command. I suspect that the game treats a command seat very differently from a command pod. Enough differently that they'll jump out when you tell them to, but won't remember to take their 'chute with 'em when they do.

1 minute ago, SSgt Baloo said:

Yes. I'm using Take Command. I suspect that the game treats a command seat very differently from a command pod. Enough differently that they'll jump out when you tell them to, but won't remember to take their 'chute with 'em when they do.

Lol.  Since I maintain both of them, I should be able to figure it out

17 hours ago, NightOwl07 said:

Yes, here is one https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0AjZ7cEYuHTakhoVGJWUVltd2M

It doesn't seem to work with any of the planes/rockets I've built, this is the one I used most recently.

I looked at the plane, it didn't have an ejection module installed, so unless you were using a patch to add the module to all parts, it won't work.

I added an ejection module, and it worked.  Please try it with the ejection module installed

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I looked at the plane, it didn't have an ejection module installed, so unless you were using a patch to add the module to all parts, it won't work.

I added an ejection module, and it worked.  Please try it with the ejection module installed

Thanks for checking it out. The way I did was (because I don't have ejection module reseached) to EVA then deploy the chute manually through context menu. The chute deploys but does not function. I will test the ejection module in sandbox later today.

22 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Thanks, that will be helpful.

Did you try this:

Use (Space+F). Jump+Use has the advantage of opening chutes on all Kerbals  in range (good for mass ejects), 

???

The three scenario I've tried:

1. Eject through ejection module - Kerbal automatically thrown free of aircraft, parachute automatically deploys and functions as intended, landing speed ~5m/s. Sequence happens quickly enough that I don't have time for testing manual inputs in between.

2. EVA -> jump with space -> deploy chute with context menu - parachute deploys visually but does not function, landing speed ~70m/s.

3. EVA -> jump and deploy with Space+F - Kerbal jumps off aircraft, however chute does not deploy visually no matter how many more times key combination is pressed. Landing speed ~70m/s

4 minutes ago, NightOwl07 said:

The three scenario I've tried:

1. Eject through ejection module - Kerbal automatically thrown free of aircraft, parachute automatically deploys and functions as intended, landing speed ~5m/s. Sequence happens quickly enough that I don't have time for testing manual inputs in between.

2. EVA -> jump with space -> deploy chute with context menu - parachute deploys visually but does not function, landing speed ~70m/s.

3. EVA -> jump and deploy with Space+F - Kerbal jumps off aircraft, however chute does not deploy visually no matter how many more times key combination is pressed. Landing speed ~70m/s

Good information,wil lmake it easier to figure it out

New release: 0.1.11

• Fixed problem with the Space+F key (Use + jump) not deploying parachute (0.1.5 fix got reverted somehow)
  • Added AssemblyVersion code

@NightOwl07 This should fix the Space+F, but I couldn't see any problem with the landing speed (ie:  chutes were working).  If that happens again, please try  to replicate it with a minimal install before reporting it

Thanks

On 1/6/2017 at 5:43 PM, SSgt Baloo said:

Fixed in latest update.  You still need to deploy the chute manually, but it is there now

59 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

New release: 0.1.11

• Fixed problem with the Space+F key (Use + jump) not deploying parachute (0.1.5 fix got reverted somehow)
  • Added AssemblyVersion code

@NightOwl07 This should fix the Space+F, but I couldn't see any problem with the landing speed (ie:  chutes were working).  If that happens again, please try  to replicate it with a minimal install before reporting it

Thanks

Thanks! Space+F now deploys the chute but the kerbal still face plants. This was tested on a version of the game with only Asteroid Day installed.

I'm going to do a fresh install of the game tonight, in case something was borked along the way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.