The forgotten...

Talavar

It's been a LOOOOONG time since I heard anything on the subject. But I was wondering if the multiplayer idea has been completely canned? I remember a long time ago, after DMP was released, the devs had said, that after seeing it being implemented, they were dedicated to making the game multiplayer.. I was just wondering if that was still being considered, or if the idea has gone the way of the Shuttle Discovery.. :/ 

6 minutes ago, fosstar said:

here you go, devs probably have better stuff to work on as a mod is available.

YOu obviously didn't read my post entirely.. I actually mentioned DMP.  nor did you add anything to the topic.

Edited by Talavar

oh, my bad, sorry, around 11 pm where i live and i am kinda tired, but according to the wiki, and i quote "Currently an officially supported multiplayer mode is not available. Developers have indicated a willingness to develop multiplayer beginning in 2014, and to complete development after the core single player game is released. "

5 hours ago, Talavar said:

I remember a long time ago, after DMP was released, the devs had said, that after seeing it being implemented, they were dedicated to making the game multiplayer..

I'm sorry to say, but: you misremember.

KSP was originally built as a singleplayer game, both conceptually and mechanically. This makes it very difficult to properly implement multiplayer; even DMP as linked above merely implements an incomplete compromise. That's why originally, muliplayer was not considered at all. However, the devs agreed to put it on the roadmap after seeing that enough players were satisfied with the half-baked bolt-on solutions cooked up by the modding community. They stated that they wanted to do it properly from the start, and that this would take a long time, and that it would be a project running in the background.

At no point did they state that after milestone X, they would focus fully/exclusively on multiplayer. Not sure where you read that, but it's probably a wishful misinterpretation of a statement like "after releasing 1.0, we can now turn out attention more towards exotic additions and features, like multiplayer". Which says nothing other than that the number of items higher up on the priority list has shrunk :wink:

Right now, Squad has at least one more big steak on their plate: the rocket part revamp, which is already in progress and will probably define the next major update (unless they decide to release it as a 1.2.x patch). After that, the roadmap of planned features is conspicuously light on content. There hasn't really been any long-term development roadmap published for a long time, really. It's possible that they still have a big list internally, but it's also possible that that means the list is nearly empty, and that multiplayer is not that far out. Maybe it'll be the focus of 1.4? Who knows.

21 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

I just don't understand what you'd want from multiplayer in a game like KSP.

Could someone just describe how they think KSP mp should work?

Just take a look at the linked mod. There are also plenty of videos on youtube that show it in action.

The TL;DR is: The player who is furthest along in their timeline defines the "main" time. Everyone else is "behind". There are buttons that let you timewarp forward to sync up to the "main" time, or to another player's "behind" time. You can play perfectly fine while not synced and minding your own business in your own time; however, only players that are synced to the same time can actually interact with each other's vessels.

Edited by Streetwind

4 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

Just take a look at the linked mod. There are also plenty of videos on youtube that show it in action.

The TL;DR is: The player who is furthest along in their timeline defines the "main" time. Everyone else is "behind". There are buttons that let you timewarp forward to sync up to the "main" time, but you can also play perfectly fine while staying behind. However, only players that are synced to the same time can actually interact with each other's vessels.

But it doesn't explain why anyone would want to play KSP MP.

It's technically possible to sync, but it doesn't explain why.

KSP is you versus physics, you can read what the sages say, you can download crafts from masters.

So why would anyone want MP?

3 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

I just don't understand what you'd want from multiplayer in a game like KSP.

Could someone just describe how they think KSP mp should work?

For me i would play cooperative KSP (but competitive with multiple KSC agencies can be fun).
I really want to build base / station with friends, perform multiple tasks at same time.
Well in fact same as single player but with friends playing the same story ^^

A permission system will probably be essential as multiple players share the same vessel (who is the pilot, what can do other player ? etc).

How it could work... DMP explored some ways already (bubble warp/local time).
I think about another way, but ressource heavy : store all players action as "probable" action, then "play" all theses at the time of the oldest time (the reference time is always the oldest).
in that way a conflict can interrupt the actions you already done (ex: another player moved the vessel you want to dock), and you need to perform action at this time to stick to the reference time.
it probably require to change a little the way you play, but i think it can work for small coop group.

Because it's fun to share an experience with your friends, and build stuff together. :)  Because it's neat to split roles, and being the exploration guy who gets to use the orbital fuel depot that the infrastructure guy built for my mission, without having to launch my own. Because it's exciting to have a real space race against other people with Kerbal Construction Time. And finally, because you can just goof off, sabotage each other's launches, find new and silly bugs, or chase each other around the space center on electric unicycles.

Edited by Streetwind

3 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

But it doesn't explain why anyone would want to play KSP MP.

It's technically possible to sync, but it doesn't explain why.

KSP is you versus physics, you can read what the sages say, you can download crafts from masters.

So why would anyone want MP?

Maybe to have fun with otheres? I think it would be awesome to build a space station or race some one to the Mun or something like that with my friends. You may not be into it but i am sure many many others are 

As for the OP i also remeber SQUAD saying somewhere that they would implement multiplayer. My best guess is after 1.2 and the concurent hot fixes?

3 minutes ago, Vlyan said:

it probably require to change a little the way you play, but i think it can work for small coop group.

I spend my RL adapting (possibly more than) a little to 'other people'.

In KSP I don't have too, I can play the way I want. and I don't have to bother with adapting to 'normies' :)

21 minutes ago, worir4 said:

Maybe to have fun with otheres? I think it would be awesome to build a space station or race some one to the Mun or something like that with my friends. You may not be into it but i am sure many many others are 

But we already have that, we share our crafts and screenshots from our achievements.

We have competitions with random limitations.

6 hours ago, Streetwind said:

I'm sorry to say, but: you misremember.

No, I don't. It was in the daily notes on the KSP forums. Also, there's this as well. http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Planned_features

and this . https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/interview-with-a-developer-from-kerbal-space-program.3066/

and this...
http://www.pcgamer.com/kerbal-space-program-committed-to-multiplayer-career-and-sandbox-modes

Edited by Talavar

4 minutes ago, Talavar said:

No, I don't. It was in the daily notes on the KSP forums. Also, there's this as well.
http://www.pcgamer.com/kerbal-space-program-committed-to-multiplayer-career-and-sandbox-modes/

...How does this contradict anything I've said? At no point do the statements in that article make any claims about when multiplayer support would be added, other than that it would happen before they stop developing KSP. Which is a date that's as of yet undefined.

it is a long-term, background, low priority project. It'll get its own dedicated update at some point, but we don't know when that is.

6 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

...How does this contradict anything I've said? At no point do the statements in that article make any claims about when multiplayer support would be added, other than that it would happen before they stop developing KSP. Which is a date that's as of yet undefined.

it is a long-term, background, low priority project. It'll get its own dedicated update at some point, but we don't know when that is.

I said " I remember a long time ago, after DMP was released, the devs had said, that after seeing it being implemented, they were dedicated to making the game multiplayer.. " And you said I mis-remembered. I don't know where you got the rest of that stuff.. I said nothing about "when" simply wondered"if it's still a plan"

Edited by Talavar

I would say it's still a plan, yeah. I mean, plans are always subject to change, but we haven't been told anything to the contrary. In fact, I could swear there was a small mention in a devnote sometime in 2016 that there was ongoing work. Couldn't tell you which one though, sorry.

I hope the devs do the intelligent thing and scrap the idea of multiplayer entirely. Ksp and multiplayer are oil and water. They dont mix. 

Too many variables to coordinate. Too many ways for it to go bad. Not enough to be gained by it.

My objections said, the wiki is not Squad maintained and they have said as much.

Last time they mentioned it, according to Google,  was on some devnotes on Aug 2015, which sounds "recent" to me but is actually a year ago.

These past two weeks I haven't quite been working on any specific features, but rather in a general framework to support large additions to the game later on. More specifically, this will be the underlying framework for the next big things, like Multiplayer.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/117647-devnote-tuesday-hello-world/

Edited by Rosco P. Coltrane
typos

One thing I wish I had help with is when I have more then 1 manuever to do within the same time and I had to choose which burn to miss. I have had this happen more then once as there is no stock way to keep track of all the burn easily without targeting each craft. This would also help with sending a fleet of craft at once for interplanetary transfers as it would help keep them all arriving at about the same time and area. Expecially if all the crafts are out of physic range of each other. The other would be for docking two crafts that are supposed to turn. Having another help keep the port aligned the way I want would help too.

But, if I was able to manage better and design stable large 500+ part crafts. Then interplanetary trasfers might go a bit easier as well as making sure to check before setting burn times. Docking there is a mod for that. Other then sending Kerbals up, refueling crafts and doing their own thing. Not much to do other then play Kerbals at War with each other.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.