[1.4][1.7.7] GravityTurn continued - Automated Efficient Launches

AndyMt

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have any good insight into how the improved guess works?  I ask because I am trying to figure out the ideal settings for some of my boosters that I am building.  I have one booster that works ok if I use on seting but GT's improved guess mod insists on a setting that results in catastrophic failure every time.

6 minutes ago, Galland1998 said:

Anyone have any good insight into how the improved guess works?  I ask because I am trying to figure out the ideal settings for some of my boosters that I am building.  I have one booster that works ok if I use on seting but GT's improved guess mod insists on a setting that results in catastrophic failure every time.

When I have the rare craft that has that problem, I usually just guess, and tweak the settings by hand instead, until I figure out what's optimal.

On 6/7/2019 at 7:18 AM, Galland1998 said:

After the distraction of the ship revert and do a new guess. It will try a different guess

That is what I thought it would do as well.  Except it seems to be really hung up with some numbers that worked for another high TWR lifter that I was testing right before.  The one that is having trouble is a low TWR lifter.  The new guess only gives the trajectory that results in a destroyed lifter.  If I manually put in conservative values that work the next launch the the best guess button puts it right back to the values that don't work.   The whole thing is strange because the iterative process  was working great for the the first lifter and then it just went FUBAR when I switched to a different lifter. Could my issue have anything to do with the save button?  or maybe the GT mod thinks the new rocket is still the first rocket?  They are pretty similar with the exception of the TWR.

1 hour ago, Galland1998 said:

the iterative process  was working great for the the first lifter and then it just went FUBAR when I switched to a different lifter. Could my issue have anything to do with the save button?  or maybe the GT mod thinks the new rocket is still the first rocket?  They are pretty similar with the exception of the TWR.

Are you re-using the name of the lifter, by any chance? GT stores a separate settings file for each uniquely named craft it flies. If your new rocket has a different name to the first rocket, GT's not being confused. That said, if you test a design in GT, then make changes to the design, and test in GT again, it can lead to problems. I usually append a sequentially increasing letter or number to the end of a name each time I make changes to a design, to be sure GT knows to start over..

Alternatively, as AndyMt said, you can:

keep the alt-key pressed while pressing "previous best guess". This resets every parameter which is not locked to defaults. This also causes the stats window to show more stuff (for debugging), so don't be surprised.

You could also delete the file GT saves its settings in.. effectively starting over. You can find them in:  GameData\GravityTurn\Plugins\PluginData\GravityTurn\ and delete the gt_launchdb_SHIPNAME_Kerbin.cfg file with the name of the ship in question.

Edited by JAFO

• 5 weeks later...

I'm guessing that when taking the name for future launch improvements is uses the craft name at launch? I'm asking because I use Project Manager which uses a project tag and a number or letter to rename the craft at launch. I'm running some tourism missions right now which use the same rocket design but every launch it has a different name. I'm guessing the only way to get the benefit of Gravity Turn learning about launches is to not use Project Manager for all of my missions? 

8 hours ago, madindehead said:

I'm guessing that when taking the name for future launch improvements is uses the craft name at launch? I'm asking because I use Project Manager which uses a project tag and a number or letter to rename the craft at launch. I'm running some tourism missions right now which use the same rocket design but every launch it has a different name. I'm guessing the only way to get the benefit of Gravity Turn learning about launches is to not use Project Manager for all of my missions? 

Yup-- sorry to say, you're essentially "tricking" Gravity Turn into thinking they're new rockets each time :)

An alternative would be to simulate launches using KRASH or some such to let GT automatically tweak values without incrementing actual ship name/design numbers, or even migrate craft over to a sandbox game and just launch/revert a few times to get a nice GT launch profile (and then move the GT Profile file back to your save by hand -- the files are all named for each individual rocket)

I justify "game-like" things like this because it simulates me actually knowing/doing math to calculate an actually efficient launch profile, without flinging rockets into orbit first to realize what I'm doing wrong. :)

10 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

Yup-- sorry to say, you're essentially "tricking" Gravity Turn into thinking they're new rockets each time :)

An alternative would be to simulate launches using KRASH or some such to let GT automatically tweak values without incrementing actual ship name/design numbers, or even migrate craft over to a sandbox game and just launch/revert a few times to get a nice GT launch profile (and then move the GT Profile file back to your save by hand -- the files are all named for each individual rocket)

I justify "game-like" things like this because it simulates me actually knowing/doing math to calculate an actually efficient launch profile, without flinging rockets into orbit first to realize what I'm doing wrong. :)

That's what I thought. I think doing something like KRASH or a sandbox game might work yeah. I'm OK with doing that - like you say it's a justifiable thing. I'm simulating like you would if you had a real rocket program! Can I move and modify the GT launch files whilst the game is running?

13 hours ago, madindehead said:

That's what I thought. I think doing something like KRASH or a sandbox game might work yeah. I'm OK with doing that - like you say it's a justifiable thing. I'm simulating like you would if you had a real rocket program! Can I move and modify the GT launch files whilst the game is running?

For sure you can move the files around. Just like craft files -- though I can't 100% remember where they are stored.

12 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

For sure you can move the files around. Just like craft files -- though I can't 100% remember where they are stored.

I found where they are: KSP_Directory\GameData\GravityTurn\Plugins\PluginData\GravityTurn. 

One final question: Before reverting the launch/ending my simulation does the rocket need to reach the apoapsis or does it only need to have completed the burn for the correct apoapsis? 

• 1 month later...

I had the game corrupt on me just recently, which I fixed by removing and re-installing my mods.  Even managed to continue the same save.

But since I reinstalled GravityTurn, it doesn't automatically circularise anymore.  Up until a few days ago, it would hit 70k and then plot a manoeuvre, warp to it, then auto-throttle to circularize.

Is it just me, or does this mod not do this anymore?

7 hours ago, Dizor said:

This mod is perfect for ascending from Kerbin, and useless for Eve sea level. Anyway thank you @AndyMt!

Will use MechJeb's ascending autopilot for Eve for the time being. (KSP 1.7.3)

Unless you change the parameters it's only good for kerbin. 

If you want to use it on a different planet you need to adjust the numbers, can't use the default. 

I don't think it has auto guess for that case

3 hours ago, danielboro said:

Unless you change the parameters it's only good for kerbin. 

If you want to use it on a different planet you need to adjust the numbers, can't use the default. 

I don't think it has auto guess for that case

No. I thought so too. And I wasted more than 1 hour changing parameters and trying to ascend. Nothing helped.

1 hour ago, danielboro said:

Alas I never landed on Eve, and off kerbin only on Mun did I use gt to go to orbit

Okay here is my save. Player profile name is 'default'. You can load 'quicksave' or 'On Eve' saved game and try to ascend. And make sure you have TweakScale mod installed!

This is ascending with MechJeb's autopilot for reference (same craft) : https://youtu.be/AbyhI9kEnVs?t=544

11 hours ago, Dizor said:

Okay here is my save. Player profile name is 'default'. You can load 'quicksave' or 'On Eve' saved game and try to ascend. And make sure you have TweakScale mod installed!

This is ascending with MechJeb's autopilot for reference (same craft) : https://youtu.be/AbyhI9kEnVs?t=544

@AndyMt

I have a problem.  wen trying to lift off eve the rocket wont fallow prograde

after getting to "start m/s" it points to 80 and never fallow prograde

i had to use MJ to fallow prograde

any idea way?

On 9/1/2019 at 1:38 PM, Dizor said:

i think i know way
2 options

1- ship was still surface prograde but hud was orbit prograde

2- hitting "start m/s"  then losing speed and then getting back to "start m/s"  did something bad

i think 1 is more probably

71tPKyg.png

"start m/s" =365

start time =80

end time =20

needs refinement but it works

edit:
setting turn angel to 15
dV left is 675

edit 2:
setting turn angel to 18
dV left is 781

goal reacet better then MJ

Edited by danielboro

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.